1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Elephant Story-1

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jul 26, 2020.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG]

THE ELEPHANT STORY-1

If you want to enjoy this please read up to the end.

The title of any story justifies itself at the end of the story. Sometimes it can have no relation with the subject or so the reader may say but the writer knows what prompted him/her to name it as such. It is quite possible after a lapse of considerable time, the writer may also not recount the reason but that is just natural of human intellectual limitations.

But then here it will be perfectly in order if, friends, you want to know the reason why I have titled this story this way. We all know that big writers and novelists give a synopsis of their work in a few lines which may or may not reveal the actual subject but will certainly induce the reader to buy the book. You can trust me on this because I have been a victim of such entrapment many a time when I bought some books just because their title was promised some revelations or the synopsis promised wonderland.

So, you want to know why 'The Elephant Story' and why not something else? As I said the reader read the customer, is the king and his wish must be fulfilled. The fact is there is nothing in a name though the opposite – there is everything in a name -is equally true. If you have any doubts, ask any teenage girl, who could persuade her Dad to take the family out to watch 'Gay aur Gauri" and 'Hathi mere Sathi' because the names suggested that the movies would be harmless for her growing darling daughter. He was fully convinced that both the movies were about animals and why we should love and protect them.

If you are still not convinced, let me give me some more examples of what is in a name. I will start with myself. I have no virtues for the name I carry (Hari-the God Almighty) and have all the vices of his staunch adversary, Satan. There are many such examples like, Lakshmi who begs on the roadside or Sita who runs a travel agency or Nayana who is blind.

I have digressed from the subject. Blame it on the Blue Label, brought by my daughter, which is making me off balance. Blue, Black, or Red or even country yellow or white they are all the same after two on the rocks. Coming back on the subject, let me confess that I will speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. This article was conceived when I was in a sober mood. I hope this will not be termed as plagiarizing. Talking of conceiving I am reminded of a joke. There was this speaker who somehow could not find words to complete the sentence and was stuck at 'I conceive……I conceive…….I conceive……………….' and a woman got up from the audience and shouted at him saying 'Mr. we women conceive once and produce a child and you have already conceived thrice and produced nothing. You can just imagine the audience's applause and speaker's embarrassment.
    Continued ----2

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Where is the ele[hant? It is not a piece on the economy and its white elephants I hope,

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. HariLakhera

Thanks for you fb, first and only one so far.
    The Elephant is in the room. It is not on economy but that is a good idea. The second part will say how it is about beating about the bush. hahaha

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I am reminded of a mental ability test with the questions
    1.How do you place a giraffe into a refrigerator.
    Open the fridge and insert the giraffe.
    2.How do you place an elephant into fridge?
    Remove the Giraffe and keep the elephant?
    3.All the animals are in a conference except one.What is it?
    Elephant is in your fridge
    4.Last question:
    There is a river with whales.You have to cross without a boat.
    You can just swim since the whales also attend the conference.
    it is said that though the test is simple ,small kids passed,90% of elders failed.
    When I thought of bringing a giraffe and elephant inside our house after breaking the door steps,I became totally mad and there was no need to attend the mental faculty test.
    the humorous way of bringing an elephant without an elephant resembles this.It is like fixing a non attainable target of bringing 100 acres of land in your custody while there are only 60 acres.
    Unattainability is a real humour enjoyable.
    jayasala42

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. HariLakhera

Great. It beats all I wanted to say. It is time to go round and round. There is a story that used to be told to us as kids about the stupid people in a neighboring village.
    The head of a goat, trying to drink water from a narrow mouth of wooden pot, got stuck. They thought and thought and finally decided to call the Pradhan of the village who advised to cut the head of the goat. The head fell in the pot. Now the problem was to get the head out. They had no choice but to cut the pot itself. Sometimes, obvious answers miss the line.

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:In part II I trust you would bring in the white elephant in the room - nation- in a more sober mood.
    Hilarious connection of moods & colours, conceived laboriously for timely delivery or deliveries.
    In school during roll call, master mark the attendance when pupil one by one called by their name responds. When he calls RAVANAN, an effeminate meekly voice from puny back bencher would respond “yes Sir”.

Thanks and Regards.

7. HariLakhera

Yes Sir, I will try but the question is how the elephant entered the room in the first place?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari Sir,

"Hathi" was in your story when you described how a teenaged girl convinces her father to take her to a movie. Your writing reminded me of a story of a boy who was given two subjects to prepare for the exam and only one will be in the exam. The subjects were a) Cow and b) Lamp Post. He made permutation and combination and learned that there is a 50% chance of his topic being asked in the exam and therefore he decided to prepare to write an essay only about Lamp Post. Unfortunately, he was asked to write an essay about the Cow. He started the essay stating that Cow was tied to a Lamp Post and wrote everything about the Lamp Post.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

Great. This is called out of box thinking.

10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Many a time after posting here in IL, UPON RE READING I found exactly that is how I had been responding!
    Thanks and Regards.