1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Fear When I Am Here!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rrg, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

*Why fear when I am here!*
    (துதிப்போர்க்கு வல்வினை போம்)

Dear All,
    This is a true account of one of my experiences in life - an adventure of a different kind. I had just reproduced the incident from my diaries, for the benefit of those who are interested.
    Cheers,
    RRG

Year 1976.
    I was in charge of sale of our products in NE region - consisting of Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Mizoram,Tirupura, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur states, fondly referred to as the seven sisters. Sounds nice to hear the name - seven sisters. But some of the sons of these sisters were very dangerous, with whom I had close shaves on a couple of occasions.
    What I am going to write now is one of the true incidents that happened in my life. Believe me. I have only hidden the identities of the person involved.
    I had gone to Jorhat, a big town in Assam, for attending a shortage in supplies claim. Those days Jorhat was not connected by train. Nearest rail head was Mariani, some 20 Kms away from Jorhat. From Mariani we need to take road transport - either a bus or a car. The road connecting Mariani and Jorhat passed through a forest stretch for a few kms.
    I reached Jorhat one fine morning and stayed in the Government circuit house. Went for inspection of the materials under complaint and found something fishy. I could guess that a part of the consignment received from us had been shifted out and only the balance kept for my inspection. This I could reconfirm through general and casual talk with the lower level employees there. Next morning when I met the In-charge who had lodged the complaint, I took him to confidence and told him my findings - least suspecting that he was the man behind the entire clandestine operation. The value of the complaint in those days itself amounted to about a lakh of rupees and that was huge. He went on pleading with me to change my stand as many people’s job may be at stake. He even indirectly hinted at taking care of me in cash or in kind. I bluntly refused and left, telling him that he would hear our final decision on my getting back to Gauhati, my HQ, after approval of the management. I could sense he was not pleased but I couldn’t help. I returned back to the Circuit House.
    In the evening, I went to a nearby Keralite hotel for a cup of instant coffee. (You can get good tea but not coffee that easily in Assam). On seeing me the owner of the restaurant called me aside and asked me whether I had any tiff with the In-charge whose complaint I had come to inspect. I was taken aback.
    (He had come to know from some of his contacts that a South Indian who had come to Jorhat is in trouble. Perhaps, being a fellow South Indian he wanted to help).
    He then explained to me that the person was a dangerous guy and had planned to attack me that night in the circuit house with some ruffians to force me to accept their complaint. He suggested my leaving Jorhat immediately. I requested the restaurant owner himself to arrange a cab for me for travelling to Mariani. As it was already about 6.30 PM, and sun had already set, no cab driver was willing to come, as they feared untoward happenings in the forest stretch in between. Many such incidents had perhaps taken place in the past with both the drivers and passengers found misseing - with no trace of the car.
    But,I was frantic to get out and catch the train at 3.00 AM at Mariani for Gauhati. Finally, we could lure one young driver, about 18 or 19 years of age, with an assurance to pay double the fare. Initially he hesitated a lot, but finally agreed to come. I got into the car, vacated the Circuit House, and proceeded towards Mariani.
    We would have hardly passed a km in the forest stretch when our driver noticed some boulders lying in the middle of the road. He slowed down the car to negotiate the boulders. To our shock, we were suddenly surrounded by 5 youths with sticks etc who blocked our movement further. They shouted at the driver to get down and asked me also to follow suit. The driver was totally in a panic. He started crying saying that it was why he refused to come. He asked me asto what could we do?
    Meanwhile, as was my normal practice, I was reciting Skantha Sashti Kavacham with closed eyes ever since we started on the journey, till we were rudely interrupted. I myself was in a state of shock. But, I was confident my Lord, Murugan, will show me a way out.
    I asked the driver to keep quite and keep listening to whatever the intruders were saying. When the youths found us passive and not resisting, perhaps they took easy. One guy stood next to the car, holding the driver’s hand extended out. Others went to remove the boulders. When the boulders were sufficiently removed, I shouted at the driver to start the car and drive fast ahead. He was attentive enough to do so. The guy holding his arm was thrown off and others had to rush to the sides of the road to avoid the fast moving car. I heaved a sigh of relief and told him not to worry any more.
    But, what he gave me was the most disturbing news. Apparently, the road took a curve and got back to the other side of the bushes. He was scared that the youth would be waiting for us on the other side more determined this time, not to take any chances. I know that God would come to our rescue once again and got immersed in Sashti Kavacham. Sure enough, after 5 minutes we were back on the other side of the bushes and we could see the silhouette of the youths in darkness ready to attack with sticks. I advised the driver to keep his cool and drive fast even if they hit and damage the car a bit. I could see the driver cursing me liberally for getting him into such a situation. Still, he couldn’t do anything but to drive fast, hoping that we could escape - which he highly doubted. Believe me, when the car neared the place where the youths were hiding, there came a bus full of passengers from the opposite direction, with head lights on and horn blaring. Our car and the bus crossed exactly at the point where the youth stood. Thus we got saved. To my surprise, I understood from the driver that normally no bus plied on that road at that hour.
    Later, on our journey, the driver told me that the youths were from Nagaland. They enter Assam, loot and return and that they don’t hesitate even to murder. He was scared to go back as they might recognise the car. I advised him to stay put at the railway station itself till morning and return to Jorhat with the other cabs. For all his services, I liberally tipped the young driver, much more than I promised. Thus ended one of my memorable adventures.
    *பயந்த தனி வழிக்குத் துணை வடிவேலும் செங்கோடன் மயூரமுமே!!*
    Anbudan,
    RRG
    20/07/20
    PS :
    Friends,
    I wouldn’t have normally come out with this incident in the open as it was very personal, between me and My Lord. But, with some talking senselessly about Sashti Kavacham, even without understanding its powers, (and trying to confuse people) I thought it is high time I pen my experience now. I was saved similarly once in Mizoram also, from some local youths at the middle of night. Shall reveal that incident on some later occasion.

RRG

sangeethakripa and joylokhi like this.

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

So nice to read of the Lord's guidance for sure! It is true faith can move mountains and our faith is in the right place. It is not worth bothering about people who dont have the sense or the devotion required to understand. Wonder why media is also giving them importance by trying to explain!

sangeethakripa and Rrg like this.
  3. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Reply below please.

4. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your feedback sister.
    Well said.
    Cheers,

joylokhi likes this.
  5. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Thank God, the worst was over and you are here to narrate the incident. I travelled thru the Seven Sisters many times during 1978-88 and once or twice by bus also to Jorhat but in the day only. Never had such experience. On the contrary I found them very helpful. Your job was rather risky under the circumstances and mafia gangs are active every where.

Rrg likes this.
  6. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your feedback Hari.
    Yes, NE states were /are lovely to travel and I had very many pleasant experiences aswell. But, given the conditions in those days perhaps one needed to be more careful than being adventurous.
    This was not the only close shave I had. Survived by His grace to share my experiences. I was new to the region then and didn’t realize fully the dangers involved. Learnt valuable lessons the hard way, perhaps. Enjoyable though in retrospect.
    Cheers

HariLakhera likes this.