1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does "if I Would Have Known You Better, I Would Have Invited You..." From A New Friend Sound Rude?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by sneha1985, Jul 19, 2020.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Sneha- What you are describing is pretty normal.

I have said the "you have a truck, I am going to be your friend" to my colleagues jokingly. There is nothing much to it other than a little humor.

He seems like a nice guy but doesn't know how to communicate with someone he hardly knows. We all have days when we are chatty and the days when we don't want to talk.

I would suggest keeping his number. Text him if you happen to move to his city or planning to be nearby to check if he is free and wants to hang out but you might want to stop texting just to know how he is doing or reduce the frequency to once in 3-4 months.

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

agree with nuss here. Since you don't know him and he doesn't know you that well, keeping a distance is always a good idea. You can always find other groups or even desi groups to make new contacts. Until you knew them a little better I would treat them all as a contacts, instead of friends. Also, please do not expect any help from anyone. that way you will have less disappointment, especially with new contacts. If you want to find jobs through contacts, look at it professionally, and through the people in your interested work area.

3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Umm... to answer the question in your post title no it’s not rude at all. It’s what a reasonable normal nice guy would say to avoid his intentions from being misunderstood. With the extremely slight acquaintance between you guys an invitation to visit his home when he lives alone could be easily misconstrued. Then you would be posting here about A completely different problem.

OP, I frankly find your entire post quite peculiar. May I ask why you are constantly contacting him? Are you single and interested in him? Or is there some other reason? What is the reason? You did him a favor, he was appropriately grateful. Even offered to pay you for your trouble. It should have ended there. Even you texted him first time he responded politely. Telling a person ‘oh look me up when you get to my city’ is a polite thing to say. It is not a binding contract. Haven’t you met people in India who say with great sincerity ‘next time you must have lunch/dinner/come home!’ But that next time never comes. It never happens! This is the same!

Your intentions in repeatedly contacting him is not clear to me and I don’t think they are to him either. I would advise you to just leave it and stop contacting him.

GoneGirl, KashmirFlower and Angela123 like this.