1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Amulet's Coffee

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Amulet, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

That is sad. This corona virus is transforming a culture.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

This morning I roasted, and made decoction from a coffee that costs about 12US$ a kilogram (my retail price via Amazon). Yirgacheffe Grade-1 is about $15.

100 grams of green coffee beans yields 84 grams of roasted beans (Amulet's usual roast level is the first appearance of oily sheen on the beans, happens after 2nd crack). In the picture below the vendor's name is overwritten (with mine).
    upload_2020-4-3_10-47-28.png
    upload_2020-4-3_10-52-49.png

84 grams of roasted coffee would yield enough decoction for 5 cups of strong, madras coffee. Milk, hotwater etc.. have to be prepared and added at the appropriate times.

While drinking coffee (under lockdown conditions) we wondered about the cost of coffee at home vs. coffee at a nearby cafe. I calculated the cost at home to be about $2.20 per cup -- highest cost line item is the preparation labour/clean-up. There are intangibles (able to lounge in sleepwear, freshness guaranteed, choice of specific coffee, and no other customers sneezing/coughing ...etc..) not included in cost.

Viswamitra and startinganew like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Deleted as it is not needed.

5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Amulet,
    I haven't see your recent posts. Hope you are doing good.

Amica and startinganew like this.
  6. Mithila48

Mithila48 New IL'ite

Morning Coffee ..... we have heard of espresso coffee, turkish coffee,chocolate coffee, mocha coffee. But now trending viral is Dalgona coffee. It’s a south Korean coffee was made popular by one of its famous actor. It is nothing but old Indian coffee with a twist.

Now here comes the interesting story, every morning my day starts with a strong madras bru coffee. Having coffee is the first thing instilled in our daily routine for most of us. This habit of having coffee developed in me while I was in Udipi doing my social research on child Labour. It was very difficult to resist the sweet aroma of the beans. A strong Udipi coffee was enough to keep my senses alive and boost my writing skills( words flowing uninterruptedly). The small sips of steaming coffee in a glass tumbler with combination of crispy dosa or soft spongy idlis was a kick start for the day. Till date the habit of drinking coffee did not die down.
    Now the story is I being an non-compromising character never satisfies until my brew is mixed right. I trained my cook( thanks to you tube) to prepare the coffee of my taste. For this she had to whisk the brew until the mixture turned thick, frothy and has a light brown shade. Every day grumbling to herself to keep up the pace because this was a big physical activity for her hands, complaining me that ultimately the morning coffee comes with a big exercise.

7. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Hi @Amulet
    It's been a very long while since you were here. I've missed your presence a lot! Hope all is well with you and family.
    ~Cheers.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@Amulet
    Trust your family & u are all in robust health and in good cheers. MIA for long. Any issues hindering you here?
    God Bless.

startinganew likes this.
  9. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

@Amulet,
    Since I have recently been pleasantly surprised that email notifications have the power of bringing people back - I want to give it another shot here. How are you, Amulet? We need your off-beat answers to everything under the sun!

Come'on back!:cheer:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

“? “