1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My Backyard Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by blindpup10, Mar 22, 2020.

1. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

wow !! all I have is a balcony and I just have the mint, fenugreek, coriander, Some hibiscus. A jasmine plant which somehow grows lengths but does not flower. I added tea powder, banana peel, coffe powder and now stopped as there are flies coming around.
    Money plant but my mum says money plant is not supposed to be at home. So asking me to remove it.

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

My first sunflower survived after the deer attack!

Attached Files:

• SF.JPG
      SF.JPG
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
    KashmirFlower, radv and blindpup10 like this.
  3. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

So pretty!
    I am glad it survived.

Angela123 likes this.
  4. blindpup10

I havent seen a white sunflower. What kind is it?

5. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

It is a variety called 'prolite'. I bought it online!

blindpup10 likes this.
  6. blindpup10

Beans Harvest
    20200804_204912.jpg

Beans on the beanstalk
    20200802_091943.jpg

Monster Zucchini
    20200801_155528.jpg

Sweet sweet grapes.
    20200712_092623.jpg

Haven't concentrated much on the garden past several weeks.
    I am germinating moringa, jackfruit, okra, snake gourd.
    Finger crossed to see if it will sprout and survive.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  7. blindpup10

8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Nice rich produce. Harvest displayed I could count upto six items. Neighbours envy.

OWNER’S PRIDE

Thanks and regards.

God is variety in vegetables and fruits and soil.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    blindpup10 likes this.
  9. blindpup10

Regrets and Success of Summer 2020

2020 is has been a tough year. I don't feel like I have gardened enough or taken full advantage of being at home. I am just full of regrets that I did not plan & execute when it comes to gardening.

OKRA- I started okra's very late- Well I started okra early, but either the saplings didn't grow or survive in the garden. So finally I have like 20- okra growing and it is already the end of the summer season already. Hoping I will get an ok yield till Oct.

Same with cucumbers and ridge gourd. I started the seedlings, but the plants never grew. The main reason it wasn't fenced- so my dog kept eating the young saplings.

My Kiwi plant is on its verge of dying. I don't think it will come back. Moved it from the original place where I had planted as it wasnt making progress.

My eggplant of 3 years died giving me like 4 fruits. Last year every week there were at least 6 fruits.

Thai eggplant- I started the Thai eggplant from seeds much early in the summer, but I had no success in surviving the sapling.

Green/ Thai chilies- Are Thai chilies annual? Last year I had 2 Thai chilies and they both died in winter. I have started the seeds of Thai chilies several times this year again no success of them growing.

I have 1 chili plant but I got the sapling in a nursery.

Amarnath- I know this should be a fairly easy growing plant- but none of my amaranths actually survived until the last batch. Now I have like 4 growing.

Green peas- The first round of yield was good, but then plants started to die. Is that how green peas work? Just 1 round of yield?

Green pepper- Dint get a good yield and the fruits were really small.

Chayote Squash- These Squash did not even fruit.

Curry Leaves- Struggling to sprout curry leaf seeds.

Success story

Tomatoes- I made a killing with my 3 tomato plants. I harvested around 60lb. Gave it to all my friends. I have completely removed tomatoes from my garden. Next year I want to start Momotaro- my friend said these are the sweetest tomatoes out there.

Zucchini-oh boy! I had a blast growing zucchini. I was growing zucchini for the first time. They always had a couple of fruits every week. The downside of Zucchini is that they take so much space and they also take over other plants next to it.

Grapes- Although I didn't have a bumper yield. I am happy I started grapes. I have read that I need to actually not let it bear fruits for 4 years. and just nurture the plant for a good yield.

Banana- Are happy and thriving.

Moringa- My cousin inspired me to start moringa from seeds and I have like 5-7 of them.

Strawberry- I start with 5 plants at the beginning of the year. Now I have like 25 of them.

Duke Of Tuscany Jasmine
    - I had Nothing but complaints for this plant that it didn't do well for the past couple of years and this year there is a comeback and it is still flowering.

Lemon, Chard, Beans- Have had a considerable good yield.

Jackfruit- Out of curiosity I started sprouting jackfruit, not only did they sprout well but I am waiting for them to leaf. It takes 10+ years for it to fruit.

Guava- So excited for my guava that they are fruiting.

Winter Seeds Started-

I have started Daikon, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, onion, kohlrabi. Hopefully, Winter will be more organized and regret-free.
    Also started a compost bin- First time composting learning as it goes.

Happy growing!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  10. blindpup10

I didn't even see this until now. Maybe Jasmine needs a bigger pot?
    Also don't put banana peels directly, as it takes longer for peels or waste to disintegrate.
    Pu the banana peel in a big bottle of water and leave it in for a week. That way phosphorus content in the banana peel would be extracted and pour the water to the plant.
    Put the peel into the compost bin if you have one.

sociallifein30s likes this.