Finest Posts - Nominations For July 2020

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Cheeniya, Jul 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I missed to notice this. Thanks for nominating my post again.

iyerviji likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@iyerviji
    My dear Viji
    Thank you for your nomination of @blackbeauty84 's An Ode To Idli
    When I saw the word 'iddly', I reacted like a war-horse at the sound of the bugle. I ran to Wikipedia as is my wont and found that iddly had a longer history than any other eatable in India. Read this:
    "A precursor of the modern idli is mentioned in several ancient Indian works. Vaddaradhane, a 920 CE Kannada language work by Shivakotiacharya mentions "iddalige", prepared only from a black gram batter. Chavundaraya II, the author of the earliest available Kannada encyclopedia, Lokopakara (c. 1025 CE), describes the preparation of this food by soaking black gram in buttermilk, ground to a fine paste, and mixed with the clear water of curd and spices.[1] The Western Chalukya king and scholar Someshwara III, reigning in the area now called Karnataka, included an idli recipe in his encyclopedia, Manasollasa (1130 CE). This Sanskrit-language work describes the food as iḍḍarikā. In Karnataka, the Idli in 1235 CE is described as being 'light, like coins of high value', which is not suggestive of a rice base.[2] The food prepared using this recipe is now called uddina idli in Karnataka." And it goes on and on.
    In traditional families, the dough is made to last for a week. The first two days, it will be iddly.The following two days, it will become dosa. In the days that follow, it would be oothappam. I have never seen a more utilitarian stuff than iddly.
    Enjoyed this iddly thread of blackbeauty.
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

@iyerviji
    My dear Viji
    Thanks a lot for your fourth nomination of @girvani 's
    Perseverance
    Thank you @Viswamitra for seconding it.
    If I say that I enjoyed reading it, it would be the greatest understatement of the year. Girvani made me sit transfixed to the monitor. This reminds me of the great novel, 'Agony and Ecstasy'.
    That made me feel as if I was standing outside waiting to hear the verdict. I am so happy for Vani.
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

@Viswamitra
    My dear Viswa
    Thanks a lot for your nomination of @iyerviji 's Happiness
    Viji has emphatically stated that happiness is a state of mind and is not caused by the kind of life we lead.
    She has stated the ultimate truth of life very emphatically. I totally agree with you Viswa when you say, 'Only a person who knows how to be happy can write such a snippet'
    That's Viji for you!
    Sri

5. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I loved school. I loved my teachers to bits. Coming in to this thread, feels like I entered the school staff room to leave a bunch of test papers or collect corrected notebooks - and my teachers Cheeniya Sir, Vishwa-Sir and Viji-ma'am - are there jovially discussing life, school, kids - all in utmost camaraderie. Thank you for what you do! <3

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I know that you will agree with me when I say that Balajee's Singing In The Pain made a refreshing read. Though he calls it singing in the pain, reading it brought the same joy one would singing in the rain or even better, it sounded like that rain bringing in much needed relief in the form of chuckles it brought while reading the snippet.

I know, I know! I should be showing up way more than I do here in this FP forum. But here I am starting by nominating @Balajee's Singing In The Pain to be considered.

Thyagarajan, Balajee and Cheeniya like this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir, I would like to nominate Jayasala ma'am's FB to my threadSinging In The Pain for the finest post of July. Her amazing erudition shines even in a witty reply!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Thanks Anna for your loving message

9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Balaji
    jayasala42

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

@Srama
    Dear Sabi
    Thanks a lot for your nomination of @Balajee 's Singing In The Pain
    I love Balajee's generic humour a lot more than that of his political satires. When he sings in pain that pain is passed on to us through excessive tickling of our ribs. The delightful camaraderie that he shares with his wife and daughter keeps us smiling right through. A truly great stuff by Balajee.
    Sri

Srama likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.