1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Poverty Thy Name Is....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jul 5, 2020.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

POVERTY HAS THOUSANDS OF NAMES

We have heard about how an old trouser is converted into half pants, shopping bags, and then as moppers. Maybe we have seen it happening in our households. We may call it Jugadment, so peculiar about India.

Indians are famous for Jugadment.

But there is another side to this trend in lower and middle-class families.

And that is:

Poverty makes us clever and innovative-
    Unraveling the sweater with holes and re-knit the yarn into a new sweater,
    Turn the old costs inside out and make new coats and jackets,

Making bags, half pants, caps from old trousers,
    Using old clothes for mopping,
    Repair old shoes,

Also:

Poverty makes us criminals,
    Poverty makes us God-fearing,
    Poverty makes us forgiving,
    Poverty makes us suicidal,

In nutshell, poverty has many faces and many names.

shyamala1234 and iyerviji like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Very true

HariLakhera likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Yes, poverty has many dimensions as you mentioned. Nothing judgamental. I want to add one more angle. In big families where children are many, income little....struggle for money and needs more. When they grow up, those children react in two ways. Financial equations are also not the same. They react in two ways. Richer ones help not so rich sibling....that is the ideal thing to do. But world is not idealistic always. They become selfish and grab whatever. Richer one becomes more richer and not so rich always remain poor and struggle. Such cases are more.
    Syamala

4. HariLakhera

Syamalaji,
    It happens very regularly. I know a family. The brothers somehow managed to jointly buy a 100 yard plot and decided to build a house on it. The normal way is to give the choice to the elder one, which floor he wants. In this case, both wanted the ground floor. They could have settled the issue between themselves but instead went to lawyers. Twenty years and the case is still in court. In the process both have become enemies. That is another facet of poverty not leaving you alone.

5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Penury of one country is sometimes termed cradle of progress in civilisation of other developed country.

2. Poverty of all forms co-exists wherever affluence exists. It is absence of basic needs or poor standard of living, either absolute or abject must be there so that what is considered as waste at one level is recycled and reused elsewhere. Even excreta collected is used to produce power and the collectors are poor class facing poverty. If pools fail to contribute, there could be a disaster.

3. If a product turns unsuitable yet it would continue to be ptroduced and dumbed in the third world like DDT. In United States & Russia it was poisonous but it was produced and continue to be exported to other then poor nations including INDIA FOR eradication of malaria causing mosquitoes.

4. DISCARDS COLLECTED by impoverished or indigents sold to agents to create new or altered product out of it and sold in Fashion street near Church Gate. Discards and rejects become products of comfort and convenience for poor or people suffering penury. In a way it is transfer of what is considered as solid pollution from one end to other end.

Yes I agree poverty has numerous avatars in third world but India is neither third world or underdeveloped yet famous for jugadament a Hindi word for recycling the discards. A take on USA poverty in u tube

Those spending over Rs 32 a day in rural areas and Rs 47 in towns and cities in India should not be considered poor, an expert panel headed by former RBI governor C Rangarajan said in a report submitted in 2014 to the BJP government.

Thanks and Regards.

God Bless the poor, the indigent with better skills and make them innovative and productive.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  6. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Thyagarajan,
    You are absolutely right. I think in almost all middle class families mending old clothes and sweaters was very common and we have seen it in our families and still see it. It was rather checking wastage.
    And again, standards of poverty are different country wise. It also changes with improvement in living standards. It also changes with inflation. RS. 32 or 47 good in 2014 may not be good in 2020.
    The moot point is how poverty manifests. It may encourage innovation, it may lead to suicides, it may lead to being victim of Islamic propaganda and becoming a terrorist. It may lead a man to work still hard, have tow or three jobs and improve his family living standard.
    It has both positive and negatives, but mostly helplessness situations.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. HariLakhera

I saw the video some times back. Here in Memphis, one can find panhandlers at the red light junctions holding a placard 'anything will do'. Same in NY, Chicago. Poverty is universal, only varies in degrees.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Hari bro again you missed my first feedback, might be because it is only two words

9. HariLakhera

Not at all, I liked it. Your feedback is always helpful and welcome.

10. HariLakhera

Thanks,
    I received many feedbacks on this post in other groups and some even reminded me that mending clothes or sweaters, juniors wearing old clothes of elders, school uniforms being passed on to next kid etc all were a norm and not sign of poverty but avoiding wastage. And I do agree. It happens even today in all families, poor or middle class.