1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Coconut Allergy

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ZenSojourner, Jul 6, 2020.

1. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

I also appear to be allergic to palm derivatives.

This is a HUGE problem because every freaking kind of soap/cleanser/shampoo/conditioner has SOMETHING in it made from coconut or palm, sometimes both, and usually more than one substance.

This morning I woke up with a rash, severe itching, and inflammation over every part of my body that had come into contact with the bedding I had just washed that morning. And I DOUBLE RINSE every load, and it still sent me into my most severe rash yet. At least its not on my face and fortunately nowhere near as bad on my arms and lower legs because I had rubbed in some hemp oil before going to sleep. Before I knew what I was allergic to, I had discovered that hemp oil would help my mystery rash heal faster and could (when the allergy was still somewhat mild) even stop it from forming in the first place if I was fast enough to use some hemp oil when I started to get an itch.

So I've been using an amla/hibiscus rinse and methi gel for conditioner and had just gotten some soapnut powder to try that as a hair wash, but the first batch I made up went off because I got sick before I could use it.

So here's the deal. Apparently some people use soapnut liquid as laundry soap and body wash. I'm good with the laundry soap idea (though I'd REALLY like to hear from anyone who is using it in a washing machine for how they use it) but I'm pretty hesitant to use it as a body wash because if it burns your eyes ...

What will it do to your naughty bits? I don't want to offend anyone but I'm talking about between one's legs. I've had QUITE ENOUGH inflammation and pain down there due to unsafe toilet paper and feminine products, the last bout of that took a couple of months to heal. Soapnuts can really make your eyes burn - is it safe for other tender surfaces?

Even toilet paper has coconut/palm derivatives in it. The one type of TP I was sure was safe for me has been out of stock here since the pandemic started. (USA). FEMININE PRODUCTS have coconut/palm ingredients. And, it turns out, so do most laundry detergents, including All Free and Clear. Well its not free of coconut and my skin is definitely no longer clear LOL!

I've been slow to actually try the soapnut hair wash because I'm afraid of irritation. I have to admit, after almost 3 years of nearly constant irritation and pain Down There before I found out what I was allergic to (or that I even HAD an allergy), I am terrified that soapnut liquid will do something just as bad, given what happens should you get it in your eyes.

Please don't take this as a springboard for off-color jokes, this is really serious for me. I'm sitting here with a rash over most of my body because I got a new laundry soap that has coconut derivatives in it.

Eventually I am going to have to learn to make my own soap from olive oil, but I'm pretty scared of lye and I have birds in the house (fumes from making soap with lye, even cold processed, are pretty serious) so ... I'm not looking forward to that.

I can make safely MAKE the soapnut liquid, but can I safely USE it?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have made my own cold process soap and as long as you wear protective gear and follow instructions the sodium hydroxide is not a problem. If you are concerned about your birds then you can set up outdoors. I used to wear long-sleeved shirt, pants, shoes and a face shield to prevent any accidental splashes. If not a fave shield then at least safety goggles.
    I now buy 100% olive oil Castile soap from Apple Valley Natural Soaps. They do sell coconut oil soap too so I’m not sure about any cross-contamination. Another alternative might be to use the traditional gram flour+water/milk paste as a body scrub cum wash.

ZenSojourner likes this.
  3. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

I am sure you can get 100% olive oil soaps for your body and hair in the USA. Just confirm with manufacturers before placing the order. Could be expensive though.

For feminine products, try using menstrual cups. They are extremely comfortable once you get the hang of it, eco friendly and does not having any chemicals on it. Or you could try washable, cloth napkins.

For laundry, make your own soap nut detergent. Or put 5-6*shells Ina cotton pouch and do laundry at above 40 Celsius.

4. ZenSojourner

Nope. Nearly all the Olive Oil soaps actually have either coconut or palm derivatives in them, even the expensive ones. The few I've come across that may be safe for me are not available locally OR on Amazon. And if its expensive, I can't have it. I live on a very fixed fixed income.

I'm good with the Always products that are coconut free. You can check on their website. I don't know of any other feminine product manufacturer that does that but there may be others I just haven't found. I've actually hit menopause recently so mostly I'm using panty shields for other reasons (I have a prolapsed uterus that causes me to "leak" when I sneeze, cough, or move suddenly, sometimes even when I laugh, that happens when you're old and decrepit like me).

Soapnut seems to be my safest option until I can work up the courage to try making my own soap. I'm just afraid of potential irritation that may be as bad or worse than the contact dermatitis.

I'm REALLY anxious to hear from anyone using soapnuts for any purpose.

I have been using amla/hibiscus rinse and methi for my hair (and getting GREAT results) but like I said - a bit scared of the soapnuts to date. I also have (all in powder form)

neem
    rose petals
    brahmi
    aloe vera
    tulsi

And I just realized I didn't put my soapnut or hibiscus powder away where they ought to have been last time I used them. Dang me! But I WAS coming down with what appears to have been covid at the time so maybe I should cut myself some slack. The soapnut liquid I had made just prior to that illness looked pretty gross by the time I was over whatever it was I had. That wasn't exactly encouraging either LOL!

I guess I'd better stir myself to hunt them up, they've got to be here somewhere ... FOUND the hibiscus powder but not the soapnuts. I may have to break down and buy some more until it turns up. Dang!

5. ZenSojourner

I'm not familiar with the "traditional gram flour + water" paste, can you help me out with that?

My fear with the lye soap making is well, I'm old and forgetful. I'm afraid I'll screw it up. But I'll have to get over that I guess. I would feel better if I had somebody around to supervise me but my son is 1200 mile away LOL!

BTW do you think this is a good recipe for olive oil soap?

Pure Olive Oil Soap Recipe (Castile Soap)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020