Working In Less Known Company

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by blessed, Jul 2, 2020.

1. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much for the info.. you are right she knows the best and is capable of taking the right decision, my sisters both the children are in US and she has always looked upon them if she needed any guidance, all of them are actually confusing her to accept the offer.

2. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Malstrom
    Yes she told me the same thing, she is leading a comfortable life even after a great chunk is going for clearing the loan which may not be possible in Bay area, any ways her decision will be final and I know that

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@blessed
    Just for information - Microsoft Melinda & Infosys Sudha Murty began their career in a small garage - then LESS KNOWN COMPANY - and if they for their talents had jumped to multinational for few grands more what would have been their status today. God knows.

Small is big today & big & very big are deception.

2. Much against his parents’ wish, my bosom friend and class mate declined the position that offered higher salary in multinational but he joined smaller company for lesser emoluments. In big companies initially they offer big salary, perks in the form of ESOP - bonus shares etc but status wise - for decades one remain either at the bottom of pyramid or somewhere near the middle. My friend learnt nitty gritty quickly of the entire business of manufacture sale marketing etc in few years & risen to the level of CEO and then started his own company that turned out to be huge competitor to the multinational whose offer he declined.

3. Career conscious persons are not hooked only by huge salary and perks. There is no harm in aspiring to be a Google Pichhai or Pepsi Indra Nooyi. But not at the cost of quality time for family & happiness, professional growth & satifaction. One would like to read Apple co founder & CEO Steve Jobs' last words that will make one change his or her view of life completely.

4. I endorse views in foregoing feedbacks that the best way is to leave decision to your daughter. Let her weigh the merits and demerits but she mustfor sure collect the data required to arrive at an innocuous decision.

Thanks and Regards.

blessed likes this.
  4. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much, feel much lighter reading your opinion, my daughter to said the same thing like your friend that she is confident that she will grow in her present Co., right now enjoying her job, her present apartment mates and everything in her place, giving in the present situation she doesn't want to change and regret later.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I am happy at heart for you & your daughter.

2. Good that she was in same wave length as the other feedbackies here. My best wishes to her and her family.

3. When passed degree with distinction, he was offered in 1964 - job in a public sector bank, he secured a seat for Post graduation in M.Sc ( Madras ‘sixty), selected for Training in leading nuclear research Centre with provision of ( family) accommodation and admission for engineering studies in a college where late Bharat Rathna President of India - Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam emerged as Aviation aeronautics expert.
    • He now enjoys his retired life with beautiful family all thru enjoyed quality time with home and receives handful pension. He could have pursued one of the other three vistas, but chosen to remain with motherland and parents and could spend lovely time during sunset years of the latter. You can guess who is HE!
    Thanks and Regards.

God Bless.

blessed likes this.
  6. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

@blessed

send a message to @Induslady and ask to edit the personal identifiers like details of where she studied and location of work.

Your daughter seems smart and knows what she wants in life, a great thing to know when you are so young. Best wishes.

blessed likes this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@blessed - So happy for your DD! How time flies.
    I would say, leave the decision making to her. I would also say 95k in Austin goes a long way. In the Bay Area, the 160 is probably not enough. It will lead to frustration. A lot of learning and opportunities come up in small startups. She might be looking at those things at this time in her career. Once she gains knowledge on the job and experience, she probably will get better opportunities elsewhere. Let her be. No decision is wrong at this stage. It’s best not to pressurize her and confuse her. She’s an adult and needs to make her own decisions.
    Btw, now is the time to slowly stop asking her to interview, asking her to look for opportunities, save here Vs there etc. It’s a good way for her to learn to make all these decisions herself before she finds a partner. I’ve felt that I always relied on my parents to decide important things for me and got married young. I couldn’t make any decisions for myself. I had to unlearn a lot of things. I’m making a conscious effort to not give too much inputs into my DD’s small/big decisions. Every time she comes up with a “should I do this or that” question I ask her a few counter questions and make her think and come up with a decision.

8. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

She is young so this will be the best time to take up a new job, now every company is allowing to work from remote so she can still say in Austin and work for the company in the bay area.

9. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Op
    Being successful in life is not just about a well paying job. You should start checking on your daughter- if she is dating someone and if it is the reason she wants to stay in TX. BTW texas is great place to stay- mild winters, and low cost of living and traffic is manageable.
    As a mother you continue to think about your daughter and continue to suggest her- she can take it or leave it. She has to make informed decisions- and your inputs will help her- staying informed. Nothing beats a mother's input. But do not think only of the pay check. A whole some fun life, is way more than pay check.
    A small company is always a great place to learn the trade, because you are not assigned to only tiny part of the whole picture.

KashmirFlower and blessed like this.
  10. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes it’s good to work in a smaller company, one can learn more..rather than being just a part of a large organisation..she can always switch to a bigger company after getting experience..may be a good idea to stick to the same job for some time till Covid19 situation becomes normal in the US..especially if the present company gives her remote working option.