1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Forgiveness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

I think you are writing about (forgiving) the slights we do to others and that others do to us in our day to day lives with the people that matter to us. And you are right, forgiving makes life easier for us as well as for others involved. More often than not, we let our pride/ego/hurt come in the way and things can spiral out of control and strangely mostly with people who matter to us. Every time I take a deep breath and let go, I feel not only better but lighter, making me wonder why I did not do that sooner. I am sure you agree (and might have said so) that just not forgiving but also setting boundaries (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me) in our interactions keeping love as the foundation will help us in ways we do not know. Personally, trying to understand where the other person is coming from (which is mostly their own experiences) has helped me deal with this better - most relationships see that there is give and take and forgiveness happens in many unspoken ways and then like one of my friend reminds me "relatives are like nails, you keep cutting them and they keep growing back" - when life means having all these people in our lives, why not make it pleasant for ourselves and those involved? Like all things, this is also work in progress - some give, some take, some easy and some hard. Thank you for that reminder :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Thank you for your comprehensive response. You articulated the need for forgiveness more elegantly than what I did in my original snippet. I meant both slights we do to others and that others do to us as well as major life-changing actions done by us to others and others to us. You are right about the lightness one enjoys especially after we no longer carry the burden of pain and suffering in our head when we use the heart to forgive ourselves or others. I completely agree that the boundaries may be revised as part of this exercise if not already set. It is not about accepting the words or actions as unharmful but recognizing them as harmful but deciding to let go of emotions associated with it that lingers for a long time and setting ourselves free. It is not even justifying harmful words and actions nor accepting more of it without pain in the future. While we take steps not to face a similar situation again through whatever steps we need to take and forgiving what had already happened.

In my view, forgiving people who are closer to us is difficult than the strangers as their words and actions matter the most to us. Forgiving is not shoving it down our throat forcibly but systematically realizing that something is bothering us for a long time and the only way to overcome that pain is to set ourselves free from those emotions.
    In my view, segregating the issue and the person is important as otherwise seeing the person itself will trigger the emotions associated with a particular issue. Forgiveness is considered as part of the right living when we apply love to our thoughts, words and actions.

Rihana and Srama like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    Yes it would turn out to be somewhat easy and achieved with less effort if and only if one segregate issue and the person involved.
    Thanks and regards.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A comprehensive definition, Viswa. The "whether they deserve it or not" part makes it so much simpler and cuts down on the mental analysis involved in executing the forgiving. Not that forgiveness can ever be simple!

Random thoughts:
    Releasing feelings of resentment or vengeance towards a person(s) whom we don't have to meet everyday or can totally avoid/remove from our lives, is doable and in fact better to do for one's own mental and physical wellbeing.

If that person(s) is part of our lives and cannot be avoided, does not recognize their actions, and is sure to repeat the offence, I don't know forgiveness will work. The forgiver has to figure out a way to constantly be in a forgiving loop. Or develop a detachment so the offence does not bother as much.

I did say the thoughts were "Random" : )

A nice write-up. And as usual I read it when it was posted but took me forever and more to respond.

5. Viswamitra

Thank you as always for your response. When I have a bad thought, the feeling of guilt takes over and in order to overcome the guilt, I forgive myself for that bad thought. When I do a bad action, feeling of guilt takes over and for a while I think if I could reset the clock, I would do it differently. As time is not in my control, I decide to forgive my action to get on with my life. The feeling of guilt is self-administered poison and forgiving myself works like an antidote.

Similarly, when someone else say harmful things or does harm to me, I am filled with anger, hatred or revengeful emotions. It is my own emotions and internal reactions that hurt me the most. It is like a poison given to me but I would have avoided drinking it by stopping my emotions and reactions by the act of forgiving. If the act of self-forgiveness is important for my own well-being and future so is act of forgiving others for my own well-being. My emotions and reactions hurt me the most than others especially, if it involves people who live with me. As you said, forgiving those who don’t live with me is easy but not important. On the other hand, forgiving those who are near and dear is hard but important as much as self-forgiveness.

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  6. Rihana

I am so glad @Amica mentioned this thread in another thread, and so glad I posted my random thoughts. For me, your observations below have outdone even those in the first post, Viswa, if that is possible.

Totally floored by the way you have brought in self-forgiveness as a measure or meter of how important it is to forgive other.

One of your best writings .. all your posts in this thread!

Amica and Viswamitra like this.
  7. Rihana

Forgive for self-preservation. In fact, in some ways, forgiving only for our self-preservation and well-being without caring a whit about the other person is a beautiful form of selfishness.
    This.

I am way off from aspiring to right living, Viswa and thankfully so far near and dear have not done anything hard to forgive... : ) but, I am so glad I read this snippet, or rather re-read it after a year.

Ok I guess I got a little carried away too... :facepalm: but will let the post remain as is.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

@Rihana,

Thanks for indulging more into this forgiving topic through more posts. Many thanks for your words of appreciation and I am humbled by them. It is interesting you mentioned forgiving for self-preservation and well-being as a beautiful form of selfishness. It is for growth and development of the individual and that is the primary mission of life whatever label we assign to this exercise.

I am with you on not being on the path of right-living, and many times I feel my actions drift away from what I aspire for. But I believe aspiring for right-living somehow is a burning desire which lights up the path of right-living and bring some happiness along the way.

9. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Hello V Sir,

A beautiful write up. I would have missed this had it not been for a nomination in the finest post thread.

I did quickly read through the responses here and your reply to those responses. However I was looking if I can find any answer to the question
    "How exactly does forgiveness happen? " I couldn't find an appropriate answer to that.
    Please answer this question when you have a lot of free time .
    To give a perspective to the question : Does forgiveness simply happen in our mind like one fine day I tell myself "okay I have forgiven them " Or does a confession happen to the person "yes I am for giving you? ".
    For our own mental peace we forgive I see forgetting is even more difficult.

Rihana and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Hi Anusha @Anusha2917,

For an emotionally burnt mind, there is a natural cure Vs assisted cure. Assisted cure includes consulting a psychologist or in extreme cases, psychedelic microdosing to eliminate or erase the emotions that hurt the mind the most. Pschedelic microdosing is not acceptable to the society and most use the option of taking assistance from psychologist which is a long-drawn process. The best cure is natural treatment through regulating our mind. I have posted a video of a woman above who was carrying the pain of her mother and brother being killed by her brother's friend to steal something and how it impacted her entire life until she decided to forgive him totally and thereby reclaimed her life back. In a forgiving situation associated with major life-challenging events, we try to understand the situation in which our emotions gets triggered bringing back past memories aggressively and how we can let go these emotions to achieve peace in our lives. This may take a longer time and sometimes many years. In a normal forgiving situation which are not due to life-changing event, we are preventing those emotions not to become chronic in future.

In a forgiving act, one recalls an incident and all emotions and reactions that happen internally, whether it is verbal or physical and whether it resulted in hurt to the body, mind or intellect, understanding how such emotions and reactions are hurtful to self and finally letting go those emotions and reactions for one's own well-being. When we stop our thoughts at the first level of hurt, the repurcusions of such emotions and reactions are not understood. It is a complete introspection of hurtful feeling and all associatied effects in our system. It is not about forgetting the incident and not even communicating that to the offender. It is about setting a path for us to grow and develop without the burden of those emotions and reactions inside especially when outwardly reaction is difficult to do. It is an internal conversation to let go our hurtful emotions and reactions so that we set ourselves free. It is with an intent to increase our quality of life. However, lessons learned from that is never forgotten. We are not excusing the person for his/her hurtful act but releasing our emotions and reactions associated with such hurtful act. Once we understand those emotions and reactions hurt us more than the one who committed that hurtful act, we understand the significance of forgiving. Anger, hatred and revengfulness affect our quality of life more than anyone outside as it breaks away from our inherent tendency to remain peaceful and happy. No one likes to remain in that state as it creates negativity for ourselves and to others around us who we love dearly. I am not saying forgiving is easy to do but it is important to do for growth, development and peace.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021