1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dramatic Mil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Angela123, Jun 1, 2020.

1. harithab

harithab Silver IL'ite

Hi,

As of now and in future, we cannot predict anything considering COVID also !!!
    If BIL and his family once comes and settles with ur MIL, then its really a good thing.:blush:
    MILs current loneliness is really hard on her, but i guess if her son comes back , atleast there will be some relief.
    A fluctuated and disturbed mind leads to behave dramatically, I feel. Noone can predict how human mind changes and decides something, specially in old age !:weary:
    Mu suggestion is - ur DH needs to transfer the house and land to his mom rather than BIL ! :buenrollo:

I hope everything gets sorted out soon and all stays happy wherever they are.:innocent:

Stay safe :angel:
    Stay positive :thumbsup:

Angela123 likes this.
  2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Update: BIL is going home tomorrow with whole family. More drama to come.

3. harithab

harithab Silver IL'ite

Thats a great news that Ur BIL and family is going back home.:blush:
    Lets think positively and hope that Ur MIL stays cool and adjust with her DIL , so that U guys also feel stress free. :thumbsup:

4. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Now that one of her sons is home, she wants to live with him (or expects he will"invite" her over, they are currently in quarantine, being returned to the country from outside). He blatantly told her yesterday that he needs the house and land sitting on it plus extra land. He will need this in his name and he will sell it to buy a house. And then only she can move in with him. These assets were supposed to be DH's if we did not spend anything for MIL, but only after MIL passes away. Now :
    1. The paperwork and every single document associated with this is in DH's locker and key is with us in the US. unless we go in person, no one gets the document to change anything, we did this to save MIL from other cunning relatives, who live off of her.
    2. We do not know when this lockdown ends to get there to settle this. What can we do to assure we are okay in changing the will (not sure if it is a will) so that if MIL is willing BIL gets whatever he wants?
    3. MIL was initially ok, but got offended as soon as BIL asked land and stuff, now she is crying, no one wants me. MIL is very emotionally attached to the house and property, I can understand this, because she earned it, not inherited. I think she fears that her pride will be hurt if she has to go live in the house his son buys. They also want to live closer to his wife's parental house.
    4. If BIL uses MIl's property to get himself a house, is it fair to ask to add MIL to be a co owner along with his wife? Because majority of money or even all of it might come from MIL's property and selling the current house. Also, MIL has pension and revenue from other land which BIL is definitely able to use if she is living with him. So I think co owning might be a good idea, if any problems arises in future.

Any thoughts fellow Ilites?

5. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

I thought it was the eldest sons responsibility to take care of parents? Not the youngest son. hmm...

6. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

This is the best course of action. At any point of time she should have some property in her name until her lifetime.
    We have seen so many parents transferring everything to children and later being ill treated or abandoned.
    Please make sure she owns what she owns until her last breath.

Angela123 likes this.
  7. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

Not Specific to this post, but in general IMO, all the children share equal responsibility for their parents.
    When children expect to inherit equally, responsibility should also be.
    Regardless of what you inherit or not children still have duty and responsibility towards parents.

Angela123, shravs3 and KashmirFlower like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Why is it just one child’s and not the other’s?

Angela123 likes this.
  9. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Tell your husband's brother that the only condition you and mil will sell the land and house to fund his house is if he buys the new place in mil's name completely if she us funding 100%, or at least in 50%.

Looks like you bil is not to be trusted, the relationship with Sil is not good. Better mil stay where she is especially since there is no guarantee that he will take care of her after selling off her property. Right now India has strict laws on children taking away parents' property and not taking care of aged parents. But most parents don't resort to legal ways.

I think best bet would be to let mil's current setup continue. It is good that your fil willed the house to you. Because mothers will fall for emotional pressure from sons. Your husband can be the bad guy here, refusing to sell. You and husband can visit India separately to check on both your parents. So, once every 6 months someone who cares about her will visit her. When her health improves, she could also visit you. Meanwhile, assure her continuously. It is scary to be sick and lonely.

Angela123 likes this.
  10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

One thing for sure, she will be the happiest one in her own home. I believe it's better to stay there than go after money minded son. Let her continue there as long as she is healthy.
    There are so many bad stories we hear every day about how children treat their parents after they get their property. So support her to stay there and offer help if needed.

KashmirFlower and Angela123 like this.