Investing In Covid-19 Phase

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by blindpup10, Jun 26, 2020.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Please tell me all about investing methods in the COVID phase.
    Tips and tricks on investing in stocks
    Did you take advantage of the mortgage rate being low?
    Invest in a franchise/ business?

What are you investing in? what is best to invest in?

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It largely depends on your risk tolerance. I’m just continuing to put money into mutual funds in addition to maxing out 401k. I don’t have the appetite to pick individual stocks. We have only a few years left on a mortgage with a great rate so I don’t plan to refinance now. It would be a good time to move but inventory is very low in the areas we are looking at so we’ll probably stay put for now.

3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Same what @MalStrom said. We are continuing to max out 401k, ROTH IRA, started putting some in 457b (not COVID related, something we wanted to do for a while), and 529b. We are risk averse and don't invest in individual stocks. We did take advantage of low mortgage rates. Instead of refinancing, we modified our mortgage from 30 to 15 yr fixed, we still plan to pay off in 10 years. Don't have time to run/manage a business/franchise so no.

Would have like to invest in real estate but there is low supply and high demand in our city so housing prices are going up.

Sorry, we are boring...not risk takers!

lavani likes this.
  4. centsibleindian

centsibleindian Silver IL'ite

The market is too volatile for individual stock picking. No one knows how it reacts and sometimes there is no rationale behind an up/down.

If you have a mortgage and paying over 3% interest rate, this is the best time to refinance your mortgage loan. Besides that, as others mentioned, max out your pre-tax investment accounts and add a cushion to your emergency fund as the economy might go downhill from here (at least for a few quarters).

Investing on a business is totally a different topic that you need to explore based on your interest.

5. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

investing is not easy as it looks. let me give you an example. Boeing was 400 pre-covid. after it went 80 , it was good chance to buy , now went to 200 and now dangling between 170-200.

if you are novice , can you handle that much stress.

however if you really want to do, i will give a basic example

microsoft is - 190 something. buy 1 stock every week or month , blindly for next 10 months. then keep that for next 3 years. meanwhile keep learning.

investopedia.com is good site. you tube has good info too

6. Ebenipada

Ebenipada New IL'ite

What do you think about investing in cryptocurrencies?
    Of course, investing in cryptocurrency is a big risk. But you can make good money on this. I recently tried trading through the exchange. And thanks to really low fees, it turns out to make good money even on small trends. Are there professional traders here?