1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Nandshyam, Mar 28, 2008.

1. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

Just read two books:
    1. Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett: a delightful read with some real practical lessons thrown in, the way he writes is too good, there were many instances where you could actually see me smiling or laughing while reading the book.
    it is about unseen university where only men can train to be wizards, but now a nine year old girl who has (accidentally) inherited a magical staff of wizard comes up to the university, assisted by granny weatherwax.
    the descriptions of the discworld are enticing, but Terry Practhett has that gift of words , he explains even an ordinary morning in a beautiful way. another one of my terry pratchett favorites.

2. on writing by stephen king: i am no fan of stephen king, i tried reading one or two of his bestsellers but that was not my forte. however the book is good, it has a short biography of the author followed by his advice on writing. actually good and he says it like it is, doesnt mince words.
    his advice on writing is best summed up in his own words:
    " put yuor desk in the corner and everytime you sit down to write remind yourself why it is not in the middle if the room. Life isnt a support system for art, its the other way around."
    For anybody wanting to write book or for that matter anybody who wants to improve his writing, this book is a must.

2. ano

ano Silver IL'ite

Just finished "Disrupted" by Stephen Pollock- A middle aged man's view of the start up culture. It was an interesting read and I also realized that now I am in the "middle age" group, since I found myself nodding on lot of the incidents in the book and tutting at the youngster's viewpoints

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

"Death" by Sadhguru. I want to read in one stretch. But no where close to achieve that much time in one stretch. May be one long weekend.

I started getting interest in this topic from the time I lost my dad.

lakshmit, Thyagarajan and Giri12 like this.
  4. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

1. witches abroad: terry pratchett: tad too long, but good anyway
    2. play like a man win like a woman: gail evans: whoa, very good and practical advice to women in business or corporate world, i wonder why i didnt read it earlier. it is a must for any girl starting out in her career.

Ramyarc likes this.
  5. Ramyarc

Ramyarc Silver IL'ite

Read
    The immortalists by Chloe Benjamin
    The romance reader’s guide to life by Sharon Pywell

both are a little bit grim but well narrated

6. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

the color of magic by Terry pratchett:
    rincewind and the suitcase are my favorite characters. A must read for any terry pratchett fan

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

My husband is translating Kalki's Parthiban Kanavu in English mainly for me to read and I am trying my hand at making it an audio book.
    I thought I should share this treasure with everyone who cannot read tamil, as these novels should not be forgotten.
    Kalki's Parthiban Kanavu - English translation
    Parthiban Kanavu - YouTube

Since this is a recent project, we will be posting 2 chapters per week[Tues and Fri], in the blog and in audio format. Do enjoy and share with anyone if you like.

lakshmit and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

gud, i read one chapter, i wasnt aware of this novel and a quick search on google revealed it is a very famous tamil novel. i can only read hindi and english.
    will be reading the rest too, keep posting

Thyagarajan and madhat like this.
  9. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for reading and/or listening @gorgeous23 .
    We are planning to update every Tuesday and Friday. This is also mainly to promote such a wonderful author like Kalki and his works which should not get lost in this 21st century gen .
    Please Do subscribe and feel free to share.

Thyagarajan and gorgeous23 like this.
  10. Giri12

Giri12 Gold IL'ite

Completed 2 books by Meena Prabhu marathi author. Chinimati and egyptayan.
    Chinimati takes you to different cities of china exploring its design lifestyle culture food in her own beautiful words. Its her charm that you feel like travelling just along with her. Same goes for Egyptayan. It gives a glimpse of Egypt syria jordan and neighborhood countries. It was really interesting to read about their war history and different cultural views.

Thyagarajan likes this.