1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rani Abbakka Chowta

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Cheeniya, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The year was 1555. Portuguese colonial power was at its peak in the 1500’s. They destroyed Zamorins of Calicut. Defeated the Sultan of Bijapur. Took away Daman from the Sultan of Gujarat, Established a colony in Mylapore, Captured Bombay and made Goa as their headquarters. And while they were at it, pretty much unchallenged, they even ruined the ancient Kapaleeswarar Temple to build a Church over it.

Their next target, the super profitable port of Mangalore.

Their only bad luck, just 14 kilometers south of Mangalore was the small settlement of Ullal - ruled then by a feisty 30 year old woman - *RANI ABBAKKA CHOWTA*

Initially, they took her lightly and sent a few boats and soldiers to capture and bring her back to Goa - Those boats never came back.

Shocked and enraged, they sent a huge fleet of ships this time, under the command of much celebrated Admiral Dom Álvaro da Silveira - The admiral soon returned, badly injured and empty handed.

Thereafter, another Portuguese fleet was sent - only a few injured from the crew managed to make it back.

Then the Portuguese went on to capture the Mangalore port and the fort anyways, perhaps planning to tackle Rani Abbakka Chowta from the convenient distance of the Mangalore fort.

After the successful capture of Mangalore, a huge army under João Peixoto, an experienced Portuguese General was sent to Ullal.

The brief was simple: Subjugate Ullal and capture Abbakka Chowta.

The plan was foolproof- there was no way a 30 year old lady with a few men could withstand the might of an army of thousands with advanced weapons.

*The Portuguese reached Ullal and found it deserted. Abbakka was nowhere in sight.*

_*They roamed around, relaxed and thanked their stars - Just when they were about to call it a victory - Mrs Chowta attacked with 200 of her chosen men - there was chaos all around and many portuguese lost their lives even without a fight.*_

General João Peixoto was assassinated, 70 Portuguese were captured and the rest just ran away.

*So if you’re Abbakka Chowta, who’s just defeated a large army of aggressors, killed a general, captured fighters and defended her city - What will you do?*

- Rest and enjoy the moment right?

- Right?

- No!

*_Rani Abbakka Chowta, rode with her men towards Mangalore that same night, and laid a siege of the Mangalore fort - She not just broke inside the fort successfully - but assassinated Admiral Mascarenhas the Chief of the Portuguese power there and forced the remaining Portuguese to vacate the fort.*_

She didn’t just stop at this but went on to even capture the Portuguese settlement at Kundapura, a full 100 kms, north of Mangalore - Just to make a point.

The Portuguese finally managed to get back at Abbakka Chowta by *convincing her estranged husband, ( a traitor) to betray for money. * She was arrested and put in the prison where she revolted again and was killed while trying to escape. *Lesson from story : It is the local Indians, who themselves are responsible for slavery of our nation for 1000 years by siding with Enemies.*

*Abbakka Chowta was a Jain who fought against the Portuguese for four decades, with an army comprising of both Hindus and Muslims, a full 300 years before the First War of Indian Independence in 1857.*

What did we Indians do to her, as a mark of our respect and gratitude? - We just forgot her.

We didn’t name our girls after her. We didn’t even teach her stories to our kids.

Yes we did release a Postal Stamp in her name, named a boat after her and erected 2 statues - yes just 2 statues in the whole of India for someone who should be our national hero.

The Indian Coast Guard ship ICGS Rani Abbakka the 1st of a series of five inshore patrol vessels built at Hindustan Shipyard Ltd is named after Abbakka Mahadevi.

We might have got to read a chapter about her in our text books, had she been a European or an American.

Many talk about her being the last Indian to have the power of the agni-ban. In all this cacophony, our generation has lost a great hero - a great source of inspiration.

Still wondering why you’ve not heard about her yet?

2. Cheeniya

History can be ever so boring but not always!

3. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear sir

Very informative. Never heard of her in all these years.
    Our history books never spoke of these great indian personalities.
    Hence most of us only talk about histories of other countries.
    While I was at school we had a subject called Roman history. Still can't understand why we studies it.

Cheeniya likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

@umaakumar
    Dear Uma
    I never knew Romans had a history other than the classic stories like Roman Holiday! I knew they had plenty of episodes worth making block buster movies. After completing my schooling in Tamil medium, I suddenly found myself entering university education which was all in English. I was rattled. The only English I spoke until then was in conversation with my mother telling her that salt flour needle gone for ' uppuma oosi pochi. To make make matters worse I had a dreaded subject called World History. If I could pass through that class, it was a miracle. The part of Indian history that I have presented here fills my heart with pride.
    Sri

umaakumar likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    Great lady!!! Never heard before. History is written in a partial way, I guess. One of the unsung heroes, heroins. Should be included in school text books.
    In London we went to a Museum where there is Kohinoor Diamond along with other valuable things. Nothing British. As we put things in a show case...arranged all looted things and named it Museum with an entry ticket of 20 pounds. Moreover a hundi like box....please donate to maintain this proud Museum!!!!
    Syamala

Vaikuntha and Cheeniya like this.
  6. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I had read the stories of valorous women Rani Rudrama devi and Lakshmibai ( Rani of Jhansi) but never had heard bravery of Rani Abbakka Chowta. Thanks uncle for sharing about one of fearless defenders story.

Cheeniya likes this.