Building Wealth On A Moderate Income

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by nuss, Jun 11, 2020.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Happy to help!

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

One thing most people might not know- if you use travel credit card (and read the fine print), in most cases travel is insured. This was super helpful in these uncertain times. I booked our 3 week Europe travel for July back in November and had to cancel now. One of the hotels I booked as non-refundable to save money (it was $210/ night instead of $300 for refundable and I thought to save $360). I talked to the hotel and they said they wouldn’t refund because it’s in July and non-refundable, they are already opening up so no reason for them to refund.

I called my credit card and explained the situation and received full refund from the credit card company.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations on the homeownership and double congratulations for the baby!
    Kids are expensive and you will feel a pinch when the baby start going to the daycare but it gets better as they grow up.

Thyagarajan and Angela123 like this.
  4. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

That's good that you are only paying the mortgage amount and not anything above it, the stock market has risk but if you spend a few hours a month you can manage the risk, the risk is lower if you are planning for long term investment and not for short term.

Thyagarajan and nuss like this.
  5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Yes this is one of the great benefit of having a good credit card, not all credit card offer this coverage.

Thyagarajan, Angela123 and nuss like this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @Minion. I wish I were more risk tolerant. We learn with time and hopefully be more prudent in investing as time goes by.

Minion likes this.
  7. centsibleindian

centsibleindian Silver IL'ite

nuss,
    Totally agree with all your points. We follow exactly the same points and bought a house 1X our expenses. Both husband and I are from middle class and we just hit a major milestone on the networth last year. Glad to see folks with similar mindset :)

nuss likes this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Wow, CI, congratulations! 1X of your income- that is so awesome! I would love to hear more about your journey if you don't mind sharing it.

9. centsibleindian

centsibleindian Silver IL'ite

Thank you. 1X was comparatively easy because we live in Texas and it's not as expensive as west coast. It's also hard because all our friends have bigger houses and nicer cars/furniture etc.. We try not to compare ourselves to others because we are not living their life or have their goals.

nuss likes this.
  10. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

wow. just amazing.

trust me nothing many men and women follow close to this.

nuss likes this.