1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Covid And Travel:mini Freak Out

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ATI, Jun 3, 2020.

1. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

Thats not true, in fact , visitors insurance is usually mainly for the ER visit and I have had experience where it gets covered. Also there is the "marketplace" (ObamaCare) insurance which is more expensive but provides better coverage.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@ATI
    If you are ready to brace the financial issues that may occur during the visit. (But keep in mind that even with insurance the cost is significant.)The other things can be worked.

How will you get them or your husband to listen to these cautions to follow when they are not even sharing any plans with you?
    I am not a health care professional
    . It's my personal opinion on what I would do. I have read/watched/ heard (podcast) thanks to my hypochondriac husband.

1. Set up their room with TV and give them a master room which usually has a bathroom connected. Have water bottles/ snacks/books/ things to keep them occupied including wipes/ sanitizer/ first aid kit, all essentials, and some extra.
    2. Ask them to buy masks, sanitizer, wipes, and use sanitizer/ wipes to wipe down their carry on bag/ wheelchair before using. Masks on them completely all the time.
    3. Ask them to get Vitamin C tablets. Take it every 12 hours a week before they travel and for 14 days after they land. And of course during the travel. CONSULT TDOC BEFORE USING MAY affect other medication that they are on.
    4. Drink Only hot liquids.
    5. Ask them to wear gloves.
    6. When they land ask them to change their clothes once in the airport restroom. It's up to you to tell them to leave the clothes behind or ziplock their clothes.
    7. Pick up their luggage and sanitize your car or use Uber to get to your home.
    8. Leave all their baggage in the garage.
    9. take a bath immediately ash their hair.
    10. Wear something not from carry on or luggage.
    11. Wash their clothing maybe after 6-8 hours.
    12. Stay in their room for Next 14 days Not Coming out. If your DH or kids have to go to their room. Take a shower as soon as possible.
    13. Have them wear masks if they want to step out into the garden. WHICH they shouldn't.

A couple of my friend's husbands/sons have been working throughout the lockdown.

Their family follows a very strict protocol.

1. After the person who steps out of the house comes through the garage or whatever entrance closer to the bathroom. Take a shower first. Wash their hair as well.
    Don't touch the bag/lunchbox/phone until it is sanitized. The used clothes goes directly into the laundry bag.
    DONT Touch anything Anything that you carried without wiping it down.
    2. Clean the house after the person has entered the house.
    3. Have sanitizer in the car, use masks in public. Go to ONLY ONE store.

4. My family usually go out every Sunday to the nearby sports park. We sit in the car sanitize our hands and take a shower the first thing we get to the house. Use the backyard entrance.
    This is load of BS.

If I were you- if my husband wasn't sharing any info. I would put my foot down to pitch in any medical expenses in regards to IL's
    Make your Dh take a 14-day break from Work to get them situated and keep his parents engaged.
    Apart from cooking, assign every possible IL's task to your DH.
    Question to think about--
    If the situation was reversed-- do you seriously think your DH would be doing any of this?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Thyagarajan and MalStrom like this.
  3. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

Yes, that can make a difference too.
    Bottomline though is 'amount of risk someone is willing to take'. Totally varies from individual to individual. Some of us are conservative types, and others (which can unfortunately be some spouses too) are daring types.
    Risk vs Reward is a very personal choice (which of course has consequences in either approach) that people make very differently and it can be a tug of war when the risk-reward spectrum in spouses vary a lot.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

We bought visitors insurance for my IL from Insubuy and we paid more than $500/month premium and it didn’t cover emergency room visit.Visitors to US are not eligible for ACA (Obamacare plan).

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

Not sure of the specific plan, but usually when you buy it - it will list out whats covered and not in the summary, plan description and better to buy the one that has ER coverage. Thats what I had done and it got covered when we had to go to ER.

Thyagarajan and abcd5 like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

My prediction: if the in-laws are stubborn enough to travel against all advice then they are not going to follow any precautions diligently. Especially when the son won’t back up his wife.

7. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

My thoughts as well.

Thyagarajan and MalStrom like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The other son should pay for all the expenses of taking care of your in-laws if you guys are handling the parts that money can't buy. That's the least he can do.

Thyagarajan, Mistt and MalStrom like this.
  9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

To answer about getting care in India,
    That is true. Though in india health workers are very diligent about checking /testing at various points, getting a bed in hospital remains an issue. Same in US too, as I heard, infant getting sick, fever but doctors won't see that if high grade, go to ER.
    In India, It is very hard to get bed.
    But anyways, IMO, they should stay put for sometime atleast 6 months.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@ATI,

Please see below CDC caution about air travel:

"Air travel requires spending time in security lines and airport terminals, which can bring you in close contact with other people and frequently touched surfaces. Most viruses and other germs do not spread easily on flights because of how air circulates and is filtered on airplanes. However, social distancing is difficult on crowded flights, and you may have to sit near others (within 6 feet), sometimes for hours. This may increase your risk for exposure to the virus that causes COVID-19".

Besides, as you said your inlaws are at the age group of 70 well above 65 are subjected to high-risk category especially if they have preexisting conditions. Even if your husband takes medical insurance for them, I am not sure it would be covered for COVID-19 treatment as most insurance companies may exclude that risk to protect themselves from unnecessary medical payments. Especially, US has the highest number of COVID-19 cases in the world. This is a pleasure trip for them and I don't understand why they can't postpone this trip to the following year until COVID-19 stabilizes worldwide. New York and New Jersey area in the current state of high COVID-19 cases primarily because of travelers from Europe. Especially, if they are coming from red zone in India, they not only are vulnerable but also spread the disease to others.

The hospitals in the US are already struggling with COVID-19 patients residing in the US. Just imagine how hard it would be to get them treated in the US hospital if they are approaching a hospital with travel insurance. The whole situation can easily be avoided by your husband having a candid conversation with his parents in their own interest. It is unfortunate that your husband puts in a position to resist their travel which is not a nice place to be. Frankly, in your inlaws own interest, they shouldn't be traveling at this time.

startinganew likes this.