1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My Backyard Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by blindpup10, Mar 22, 2020.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I had just started to garden back then and I didn't really know what I was doing. I started the plants in grow bags as my garden soil is not really good.
    I had a couple of bags of garden soil on hand and I started to grow in grow bags.

2. blindpup10

My garden soil is partly to be blamed. I have sand and clay soil. My soil is work in progress.
    But with this jasmine plant, I have added all types of fertilizer and adequate potting mix.
    This jasmine was in a previous location and it wasn't doing well there either. I removed it and started it in a new location about a year ago. Now the previous Jasmine spot has hibiscus and it growing lush( haven't tended to the soil after the jasmine was taken).
    Maybe I will try to redo the whole soil and start new fertilizer.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. blindpup10

20200607_130054.jpg 20200606_155247.jpg 20200607_125647.jpg 20200607_125647.jpg 20200607_130054.jpg 20200606_155247.jpg There is something in my garden eating my zucchini's. How do I prevent it from snatching my zucchini?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Usual suspects for vegetable munchers include squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, deer and groundhogs in my area. Birds also like to sometimes peck at tomatoes. I
    have read that squirrels will nibble on juicy vegetables if they are thirsty and providing a water source may help.

5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Government of India has a separate R&D for Dry-land Agriculture in which the Israel scientists are often consulted collaborated . They have developed technology to develop horticulture and basic agriculture in areas declared as dry lands known for scarcity of water and non conducive humidity. Just forinfo. Insight can be drawn from googling for Israel gardens & agriculture.

Thanks and Regards.

6. blindpup10

I don't know what happened when I posted the pics!!

Pic 1- Tomatoes from garden picked green ones that are closer to the wall. Didn't want them bruised.
    Pic-2 My beets harvest. The harvest was ok- not as much as I expected. There were many which didn't completely grow coz of the soil.
    Pic-3 The little place getting ready for the start fruit plant. Added leaves, fertilizer, and soil and water it every day.

@MalStrom- I can definitely rule out deers in my area. But I don't even know how to resue my zucchini's.
    Also, my bean saplings are getting eaten by slug I guess. :(

Vaikuntha likes this.
  7. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Hi @blindpup10

I got Amarnath seeds from "seedsofindia" website, they are reliable and Moringa seeds from amazon. Sure will share pics once they grow little older, everything is sprouting and sudden rain flatten some sigh!!

I bought my climbing rose and other bush roses from Jenkins & Perkins, they all bloom busy with little care :D

8. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Couldn’t able to see ur garden pic

QUOTE="EverydayBloom, post: 4187331, member: 384183"]Great going everyone, just sharing few from our garden:

Our Backyard from neighbors deck :)

Our Zen corner in the backyard, Designed by me and made by DH

Amarnath and Indian spinach (chukkakoora)

Banana plant
    [/QUOTE]

9. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Are you able to see now? I edited the above post