1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Memories

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by arthimahalakshm, Jun 2, 2020.

1. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

started my cooking skills at the age of 11 or 12.

amma was out of house ..appa,anna and younger sister been to a marriage leaving me and amma. me being amma kondu ...was happy not to go with them.i cancelled my leave letter submitted to the class teacher and was happy not to be absent to my class...

amma instructed from the hall and i using a pumping stove made cut potato fry and lemon rice.. second day prepared brinjal curry and rasam.this much only i remember about my first time of cooking.

later though every month of amma's rest time i cooked...i was bit least interested in cooking.unless i am compelled to cook..i never entered into the kitchen.

my paternal grandma..used to stay with us once in an year for 3-6 months.during those days she cooked for us and all on daily basis..(usual..mil and dil...holding kitchen as their power house)...though we enjoyed both amma's and patti's cookings...we couldn't orally express our likings on their preparations..cold war ..ok?

but the presence of my patti helped me a lot to pick up the important tips while listening their talks on recipes. i often wondered would they ever talk matters other than recipes. but never happened..may be both of them..were cautious..hahaha.

being an observant .....their tidbits helped me when i was a struggling new bride. in my poranthaam side i was told that i would suffer for not knowing cooking..alas! their predictions were wrong as i managed comfortably with my cooking skills gained through my hereditary.

even today with 30 +years of cooking experience..i don't consider me a good cook but damn sure that i well manage the situations without one single necessary ingredient... coz...my life style living in factory sites teaches me now also to fill the stomach with whatever available in my hand...

so my cooking is not at all a traditional south indian cooking but a fusion of south, north, thai..mexican italian and continental...(anything did i leave in my list?)...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Rihana, messedup and Giri12 like this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:it reminds me to those days compelling circumstances to listen carefully to her instructions from a distance at the backyard when I began learning to cook. Charcoal fire kummuti vengalapanai - Saddam vadithal etc. in 1950s.

Every month you had refined learning becoming more efficient less instructions less apprehensions

Even today at my seventy six, I used to be conscious while appreciating food when daughter and mom jointly prepare food. If I comment assuming taste is better due to Spouse or daughter in kitchen, the other one gets irritated.

But now a days, poranthaam side and pukundha Veedu too prefer or encourage to attend tutorials. Samayal rani in chennai is one such.

With more awareness through media, a mixed trend is prevailing in the likes of food.

Sandwich dosa, marble idli et al in previous threads too I read now. Very interesting nostalgic narrations.
    God bless.

3. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

thank you sir...really after many months i set my foot here...

4. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Arti
    Nice writeup. I had never been into the kitchen when I got married. But knew the basics. Attended cooking classes where they taught us to make cutlets, cakes etc.
    I can never forget my making dosas for the first time on a new dosa kal.

arthimahalakshm likes this.