1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Journey From "i" To "i"

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 29, 2020.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

In the Upanishads, ancient scriptures, Consciousness is described as the innermost nature of every living being, pure and unchanged. Neither birth nor death, nor re-birth can alter this. It is the Real, the unchangeable. In contrast, body, mind, and personality are changeable and are therefore defined as unreal, or illusory. We are living in a world where most do not have a Guru to teach the purpose of life. Then, how do we define a life’s journey that consists of physical, psychological, emotional, and spiritual needs? How does one understand Dharma, Artha, Kama, and Moksha? “Realize consciousness inside and achieve infinite bliss” remains more conceptual than practical in real life.

Mandukya Upanishad in just 12 verses, yet in a profound way, described how the entire cosmos came into existence through the vibration of “AUM” which covers all three states described as waking state, dreaming state and deep sleep state and three Gunas known as Sattva (purity, clarity and harmony), Rajas (passion, energy, and activity) and Tamas (inertia, resistance and darkness). There is silence at the end of “AUM” which is described as infinite consciousness which is called fourth or Turiya state. Parameshti (the Supreme Self) needs to be understood as it can solve any problem in a moment, when the Supreme Self is understood, the secret of creation (Srishti) can be understood, when the secret of creation is understood, the significance of the society (Sameshti) will be relevant, and when the society is understood, the individual (Vyakti) role can be understood.

Matters relating to our thoughts (Prathibhasika) is like the foam, matters (Vyavaharika) relating to the world is like the waves and experiences (Paramarthika) relating to our mind is like the ocean. They are simply manifestations of the same entity. Our life is like building a house. We inquire about the best place to build the house which is self-inquiry. We build the self-confidence that we could mobilize the resources to build the house first which is the foundation. We achieve self-satisfaction which is like the wall of the house. We build the roof that would protect the house, which is self-sacrifice, and when we make that house into a home, it is self-realization.

The knowledge we gain through the senses and body (bhoutika jnanam) is worldly knowledge, the knowledge we gain through our mind is rational (sujnanam) knowledge whereas the knowledge we gain through our heart is (Atma Jnanam) knowledge of the Consciousness. The knowledge about our consciousness can be gained through four methods namely Agama (Traditional), Upamana (Comparison), Anumana (Inference) and Pratyuksha (Direct perception). By reading the scriptures, we achieve mental union with consciousness (Bhava-samadhi), by comparing our individual qualities with that of consciousness, we achieve spending time with the consciousness (Salokya-samadhi), by inferring the qualities of consciousness at the third stage, we begin to see the total qualities of consciousness (Samajpya-samadhi) and finally when we get direct perception, we enjoy the union with consciousness (Sayujya-mukti).

Sage Narada brought a mango fruit to Shiva and Shakthi. Shiva asked Shakthi to eat that fruit, but she decided to give it her children Ganesha and Karthikeya but Narada indicated that the whole fruit should be taken to enjoy the benefit of the fruit. Shiva arranged a competition for Ganesha and Karthikeya that whoever can travel the cosmos three times first will get the fruit. While Karthikeya left to do that in his vehicle Peacock, Ganesha circumambulated his parents and got the fruit. What is the purpose of this divine play? Divine power resides in every being in the form of Shiva (consciousness) and Shakthi (life force). This divine power manifests in various forms which are merely temporary but are needed to visualize the divine power. One who transcends three Gunas achieves the fruits of infinite bliss.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Thyagarajan and KashmirFlower like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    That is a fine tabulation of details not reachable to many, though couched in simple style.Except the bauthika gnana, all other gnanas are no way near to us.The essay is acdemically much interesting to read and appreciate, but really too much to attain for simple folks like me.

I really wonder how you are able to concentrate, read and write on totally abstract yet much valuable subjects like this.
    I had to read and re read twice to grasp the essence.Simply a grand mansion you have built with highly thought out plan and well chalked out materials and polished marbles. I wonder whether we deserve to enter the campus.
    Well done Viswa!

Jayasala42

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for your first response to this snippet. What I believe I know is so little and everything I learn is from those who taught invaluable lessons to ordinary mortals like me. There isn't a day pass by without me struggling to put into practice most of these teachings. But reading, comprehending, and deciphering it into understandable small parts makes me feel that I am a step forward in my journey of life. These types of writings are my own journals for my growth and development and certainly, the intention of sharing is to learn more from other ILites.

You definitely are not only welcome but also deserve to be inside the mansion. Thank you, as always, for your words of appreciation. I take your comments as validation of my understanding. I am presenting on the subject, "from the individual to the divine" in our spiritual center this Sunday and this snippet is part of my speech.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

I will be foolish if I said I understand this! That said, I am trying to understand and more questions arise.

I always thought understanding self is the primary goal and when we start there, we can move up towards understanding parameshti. Do I have it backwards?

does understanding of the above leads us to these below?

How are these categorized into the different layers of chitta - manas, buddhi and ahamkara or do they interweave in all the three?

There! :) for now anyways!

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

Questions are the ones that make all of us inquire into understanding who we really are and that is also inherent to human beings.
    "Sankhya" ("that which explains a whole") philosophy in Chapter 2 of Bhagavad Gita explains this well. Swami Rama who has written a book called, "Perineal Psychology of Bhagavad Gita" states that in the Indian system of psychology, the student is led beyond mental life. Mind in its totality should be understood, but it is more important to be aware of the source of knowledge, the center of consciousness, Atman. Knowledge of Brahma Vidya is essential for learning the psychology of the East. If one studies only the conscious and unconscious part of the mind and analyzes only waking, dreaming, and sleeping states, he will be unable to comprehend the perineal psychology of Bhagavad Gita. If one attempts to understand the source of all knowledge, one can understand how the cosmos was created, what is the purpose of the society and what is the role of the individual in a society.

Paramarthika, Vyavarthika and Parthibhasika are all part of the whole and manifestation of the same source. They are an inseparable part of the same whole. This understanding makes life's purpose explained.

Boutika, Sujnanam and Atma Jnanam all reside in Chitta, explain the reactions of manas, refine the processes in buddhi, and create Ahamkara. Even Adi Shankara asked a Chandala to move away to give way for him and the Chandala asked, "Do you want me to move my body or soul?". Lord Shiva had to come in the form of a Chandala to remove the Ahamkara to provide mukhti to Adi Shankara.

I was under the impression that Agama, Upamana, Anumana and Pratyuksha are four methods of knowledge until Sri Sathya Sai Baba explained in "Prema Vahini" that all four methods are needed for self-realization. Agama is to understand the quality of Brahman, Upamana is to develop Christ-like qualities, Anumana is to still understand the gaps and reach them and finally Pratyuksha is the fruit of refining our qualities.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I endorse views of @jayasala as also of others. Is It metaphysics & beyond?
    2. I consider the subject is esoteric and reading few times it would be well nigh impossible to grasp but the essence you had impressively brought home.
    3. I recall the justbesatsang I just heard an hour ago. The discourse is in Tamil and perhaps would kindle your interest to view in u tube in the link

Thanks and Regards.

7. Viswamitra

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

Thank you for your response and for sharing the video. Whatever I have presented is the teachings of many saints and the teachers who walked this planet, presented in my simple writing skills.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    Thanks for leading us back to understanding 'i'. The very fact that this subject has been at the forefront of our great thinkers from the very beginning of of human existence on this planet, is proof enough that the subject has been explained in different ways in as simple terms as possible. Yet, it has remained out of the reach of common souls.
    I follow Geeta and believe in Karma theory to the extent that we should do our duty and follow dharma, which is truth. No one but the individual alone can decide what is truth for himself. It is another matter if he or she follows it, but he or she knows the truth.
    I heartily appreciate your in depth understanding of the scripts.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Hari Sir,

Thank you for your feedback. You are right on target when you said almost every great thinkers have presented this topic in simple terms but yet remained elusive to our minds. I already knew you are inspired by Gita from many of your snippets. Disciplines of Dharma can only be told, no teacher forces it on the listeners and it is up to the listeners to practice dharma or not. Thank you for your kind words but I am still scratching the surface and I have so much to learn.

Viswa