1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My Backyard Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by blindpup10, Mar 22, 2020.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Hey @deepv- I don't do much. I have planted the curry plant where it gets plenty sunlight. I water it daily and fertilize it once in 3 months. I pruned at the beginning of this year. In spring the curry plant just bloomed overnight.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You’re on the right track. Add as much organic matter as you can: manure, compost, shredded leaves in fall. If the area is large you can get a bulk delivery of these items from a garden center or landscaping company. This will attract earthworms and your soil will start to improve. You can also add a thick layer of mulch around your plantings.
    Then I would get your soil tested from various parts of your yard to see what nutrients you can add. Too much of phosphorus and potassium can actually inhibit growth. Your county extension service will usually do the testing or be able to point you in the right direction.

KashmirFlower and blindpup10 like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I am in serious envy of your curry plant. It looks just like the ones my mom has back home. There is always a gang of koels arriving to eat the berries and creating a racket every morning during season.

blindpup10 likes this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Wow! I am so envious of y’all gardens. We live in high desert.. 7a, b so hard to grow anything. Fortunately, the previous owner had planted lavender bushes, Russian sage, plum, and cherry trees which I love. We planted apple, peach, and grapes this year.
    We tried growing herbs and vegetables in raised bed in the backyard for last two years but bunnies and squirrels won’t let anything grow. I finally planted onion and garlic there and that’s the only thing they won’t eat/ dig. I started pot gardening and have tomatoes, pepper, herbs (three kinds of basil, spicy oregano, cilantro, mint, rosemary, sage), and strawberry.
    We are also trying butterfly and hummingbird garden. Lavender, Russian sage, roses, elderberry, lilac, honeysuckle, speedwell, candytuft, and Lydia broom are what we have in our garden. We see hummingbird almost everyday on our feeder. If you go to a local nursery (or Home Depot) you can look for plants that say attract butterflies or hummingbird and can also ask what would grow best in your area.
    We started compost two months ago (quarantine gardening).

blindpup10 likes this.
  5. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

Thank for the reply .May I know which fertility did you use?

6. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

7. blindpup10

@nuss- I have realized that the desert kind of weather can grow a ton of plants. If possible try to grow dragon fruit and tulsi also grow okra.

Please share your grapes pics. This is my first time growing and I am so happy I found someone else growing it as well.
    If you are ok to share pics, please do. I am very interested to see and please give me any pointers on grapes or anything.
    Envy your composting. Did you buy a composting barrel?

Happy gardening.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    nuss likes this.
  8. blindpup10

Where we live there is no fall leaves :( But i get the idea. I started this patch few days a ago. I will keep plowing and add water for aa week? Is a week or 2 good before I start new plants in the patch?
    Yes remember the unique sound of the koel, waking us up in the morning. The sound I dearly miss, its the sound of home.

9. blindpup10

I just buy the organic top gardening soil, chicken manure, and add used coffee powder. Very religiously
    fertilize my plants at least 3 months. As some part of my garden is clayish soil I even dig around the plant and sort of loosening the soil.
    As my curry plant was the first plant. It got the premium spot in the garden where the soil + sunlight has been abundant even during winter.
    Good luck on your curry plant.

10. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

Thanks blindpup for the detailed reply.
    My curry leaf plants new growth coming up nicely with dark green leaves. But the old leaves looks yellowish.
    Is this normal?