1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Embarrassing Moments

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, May 18, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Embarrrassing moments

Knowingly or unwittingly we create moments of embarrassment or witness such moments.

When we were scouting for directors to produce a film to help farmers to modernise their farming .S.V.Ramanan a budding director in the seventees,came to our office in Hyderabad to make a presentation.My colleague C.S.Reddy was with me.Ramanan completely transformed into a story teller.He narrated the story of two young men vying for the hand of a village maiden .When the competition reaches a crescendo,the girls father agrees to give the girl to the person who produces more from his farm.With the help of the company’s advice the hero wins but refusing to admit defeat the villain tries to attack the girl,so onand so forth.Ramanan actually enacted scene by scene.After concluding Ramanan said “there is a chap called agronomist in these companies who completely spoils the film by showing,soil testing,seed treatment ,pest control etc,leaving very little time for the story to be covered.He took a deep breath in token of his great presentation.By the By Mr.Ramanan-meet Mr.Reddy my Agronomist I said.Ramanan became red to his ears and profusely apolagised to Reddy.We all had a hearty laugh.

My daughters were sitting in the second row in a program when they started discussing a lady sitting in the front row.After enough dissection, a girl sitting in the seat next to my daughters seat said aggressively”hello!. The -lady you are discussing so flippantly happens to be my mother”much to the embarrassment of my daughters.They expressed their apologies,sat for some time and left the show unwilling to face the girl when the lights come up.

Our Board meeting was to take place in an hour.My boss called me to his cabin to answer a querry from a director who was also sitting in the room. After the clarification the Director wanted my telephone number.Believe me I could not recall my number.I started sweating.My boss came to my rescue and joked that” Laxmi does not telephone to himself and so he does not remember his number.Ask him about sales figures,outstandings etc he will reel off the numbers.”It took sometime for me to get over the embarrassment.Similarly when I was discussing about my admiration for Sir Walter Scot,who made it inspite of his polio,I said I admired his novel.Such as my boss asked.I could not recall Ivan Hoe the remarkable novel penned by Sir Walter Scot.My boss should have thought that I was dropping names.It took a great deal of courage to meet his eyes.

We were seven friends having a get together with our wives.One chap forgot to zip his pants.His wife pointing to him said –Fly-Fly.Every one rushed to check the zip in the trousers except the ladys husband who was engaged in animated conversation,The lady took the situation under her control walked upto her husband ,tapped him on his shoulder and asked him to zip up.A quotation was born” behind every proper zipping is his wife”

We had senior citizens get together recently.When it was getting over we got the news that Jayaraman[78] of our group had a heart attack and passed away in Canada.Some one was asked to speak a few words of condolence followed by a minute silence.The speaker said-We are deeply distressed over the demise of Balakrishnan[78].I am here sir Balakrishnan said from behind.This was a moment of embarrassment caused unwittingly by a 80+ old gentleman mentioning Balakrishnan instead of Jayaraman.

Most of these situations result in uncontrolled laughter perhaps to get over the embarrassment. The worst embarrassment is when you crack a joke which you think is great and no one even pretends to laugh.

umaakumar, Amica, MalStrom and 2 others like this.

2. FreshDewdrops

FreshDewdrops Bronze IL'ite

Good one sir. Had a hearty laugh thank you. Life's like that

sln likes this.
  3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Yeah, there are embarrassing moments in life. I went to visit my friend in my new car. The parking area was a little sloppy so I put the car with handbrake on. My friend and his wife came to see me off. I took to the driving wheel, started the car but forgot to release the handbrake. When I put on the accelerator, car took a jerk and fortunately I realised way.

4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

You saved me from embarrassment by having a hearty laugh.Thanks.SLN.

FreshDewdrops likes this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

The incident which struck every one odd and caused all round embarrassment was when Trump on his first meeting with the wife of French President Macrons wife in july 2017 said "you are in such good shape"Apart from actions inappropriate communication will also cause embarrassment.Regards.SLN

6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Embarassing situations are quite common during weddings and social gatherings. Mistaking someone as someone else's wife is the common trend. Some people are experts in creating misunderstandings also .
    The only way is just to ignore.

Jayasala 42

sln likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

You are absolutely right. I had gone to the wedding of my officer with a female colleague.The bridegrooms mother appeared from no where and told me "your wife looks beautiful"It was a difficult moment for both of us. These silly old women always presume that a lady accompanying a man must be his wife.Regards SLN