1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kids Routine During Lockdown

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by messedup, May 1, 2020.

1. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Hi Everyone!! Hope everyone is doing well...I would like to know about the kids routine during this time. My kids spend lots of time with TV and Mobile. We don't have any routine of sleeping and it's always very late around 2 or sometimes 3 at night. Both of my kids are small so they just keep playing even if they are not watching anything. They have one hour online classes daily from Monday to Friday. But other than that specially the YO don't want to study. Many times I sit with them for long hours just to make them sit for their HW but success rate is low. EO still do his work with his father but the YO is too too naughty to handle. It's difficult to show anger to him all the time as he can make anyone smile easily. Though I try to control a lot :) .

How you people are managing with kids routine? Any tips or tricks that could work for my kids. I already tried many things. But may be I can get some new idea. Please share what could be done to make their routine of study at least.

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Some tasks like morning getting ready, shower breakfast and home work for an hour or two, then screen time.
    After lunch, and some relaxing time, again some home work and then screen time, fixed routines... if they don't follow, switch off internet on the device.
    to Avoid screen time, you can together engage in some painting, reading, movie time together , craft time, all depends on how much time you have in your hand.

messedup likes this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

How old are your kids?

My 8 yr old kid has class meetings and work from 9-2.15 with 1 hour break in between. It is all optional, but I make her do all of it, so that she wont complain about no work and less work for me to watch her all the time. She sits with me, at the table and I check with her if she is doing the stuff she is supposed to do. I maintain her regular sleeping time, but she sleeps late after going to bed. and wakes up late.
    Her routine goes like this.
    Wake up at 8.30 ish
    9-11.00 school work, math games writing.
    12-2.15 school work, math games writing.
    2.15 to whenever we finish working, she is allowed to play on her own anywhere she wants in the house, but no tv. She does some reading on screen.
    After 5, it's outside time since weather is good. Just in the yard or in front of garage, play something or just hangout.
    6.30 - take shower and
    7 - dinner
    8 - Bed time, we read a story, hang out and try to sleep. Not much physical activity makes sleep difficult. She sleeps around 9 or so.

She resists mot of the things, and suggests I let her watch tv, but there is enough screen time with the math or reading or the graphic novels they assign from school.
    If your kids are younger, it is more challenging. Making a routine will help a lot.
    Smaller kids love art and sensory activities - so may be make use of a lot of play dough, legos, drawing etc. Sitting with them will help, even if you are not doing the same thing they does. Also, take them to kitchen and give some safe activities while giving them a snack. There are some videos online.

messedup likes this.
  4. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @KashmirFlower and @Angela123 . I know maintaining routine is a must. But it's too difficult here with so many limitations as we live in a big joint family. Secondly kids are small 4.5 and 6 years. Once I switch off the TV and hide the remote they run to another floor bring remote and start watching their Channel. For phone they just keep a watch on our phones. If we left our phone unlocked even for a minute they just run away with that. IF I take them to another room to study then after shouting at them for long hours they just do a little bit of the HW. It's really becoming tougher day by day. Don't know how to handle. Also lots of household work during this time takes most of the time .

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

all in the family should support that it is kids study time, and no tv that time. even you need to shout for 1 or 2 days 3 rd day you have to shout less, kids know if they can't escape they will do it. 6 year old kid can understand that first school work and then only some tv time, how much time kid can watch, you can decide. Ask all adults to help in this by not switching on tv or no fun time when kids studying.
    They do less but if routine is there like after lunch, study / school work time, slowly they improve. Tell them even if they don't like they have to do it.

messedup and Angela123 like this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

My kids are 7 and 5. We keep the schedule similar to what it used to be. They go to bed at 8:30 and wake up at 6:40-7:00. 1-2 hrs of screen time. I make a schedule with my older one in the morning and we kind of follow it. I am happy if they get to do some writing and math workbooks. Reading is never an issue, my son reads ~1-2 hrs unprompted.
    Rest of the day, we just have fun- we make breakfast and lunch together and kids get to do all the calculations for recipes. They play together well with Legos or in the backyard. My husband and I are taking turns. He works until 1 pm and I work from 2-7ish. They make dinner and then I give the kids bath. My husband and kids usually play board games, read, or go for a walk.
    We do art and science projects together. Both kids have microscope and journals/ lab notebook as they call it.
    We don’t pressure them but I feel they are learning quite a bit and I haven’t heard‘I am bored’ from either of them in the last 45 days of lockdown.

KashmirFlower and messedup like this.
  7. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the reply nuss. Your schedule is really superb. My kids and we need to work a lot to reach that place. Our routine is really so poor. Even the other students of both of their classes learn a lot of things. But here we are not able to give them proper guidance and time. I tried making a time table today. But my YO is too adamant and may not follow anything. But still will try my best. Thanks a lot.