1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Why Is it so hard to make indian friends here?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by OCdesigirl, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

lol, thread can go on for months, no problem. If u think the topic has been beaten to death, you are free to move onto other threads and ignore further responses on this thread. Let it be open for whoever still wants to discuss or debate.

3 people like this.
  2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

yet another suggestion. Sometimes, the thread doesn't attract enough participants b'cos it's in the wrong forum. While this forum appears appropriate for this thread, it would 've attracted ppl of y'r wavelength had u posted it in the community chitchat forum.

Girls, chill out. it's weekend. :thumbsup

3. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

So today I called a childhood friend and we were talking casually and after about 5 minutes she says "I hate living in nevada I don't find any punjabi friends here" lol that started a big long discussion she said that she dislikes "madrasis" and that they are very stuck up people, i guess she forgot that my husband is a south indian, to make a long story short she is the same community as I am and I can no stand her thinking so I guess some of us are never meant to make friends. I will enjoy my life alone reading books and talking to DH 24/7 lol :(

6 people like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

more about the language..u feel more at ease because of ur language

5. kublu

kublu New IL'ite

Hi OCdesigirl,

I am a "madrasi" girl and you can contact me any time you are feeling lonely.
    I love books too !!! (though I live in San Jose and not in LA)

regards,
    kublu

6. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

I am a Tamil and can understand Hindi but my spoken skill is poor. Whenever i see Indians I tend to speak in English because it's not easy to judge their mother tongue. I don't get offended if Indians speak to me in English.

But one time i met a couple of girls in the temple and me being new to the area introduced myself in English and during the chat i mentioned i am tamil. The moment i ended the conversation and getting out, one of the girls said that " Wow, These tamils are headstrong and don't learn the national language and speak English to Indians, when will they change?" I was extremely offended by this statement and felt better off not being their friend.

I have friends from different states of Indian and different countries and none them gets so rude at others for not knowing a language that they consider as so important.

I believe it all comes down to who they are and what they know. When i was in Bangalore for a while i made a friend from UP, she is the sweetest person i have ever met, she would translate every bit of the conversation that goes on in the group so that i won't feel alone. There were Kannadiga girls who taught me how to use simple words and sentences for everyday conversation and were sincere about it.

If someone wants to talk or not talk based on the language that I know then probably I might never hit it off with them...

4 people like this.
  7. sudhani

sudhani New IL'ite

Hi friends how r u?

8. sudhani

sudhani New IL'ite

pls give me tips for newly married life

9. seemaindia

seemaindia New IL'ite

Hi all. I m sima, want to make some friends. I live in Northridge. My email seema.etc@gmail.com. lets be friends and enjoy our life together.