1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Good Are You At “cooking?..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Apr 28, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I keep it in 350 but I keep checking it on and off..somehow with puffs I never go wrong.It can always be fixed

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:you have said plain truth but it is same with others I suppose. But comparison part sometimes do act as negative motivation. Some husbands show significant progress after that!
    Thanks &Regards.
    God - Besides ripe fruits and basal, would you accept if we offer cakes and pasta?

anika987 likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Don't compare yourself with others, but with your older to present self to measure the improvement in your cooking.

A decade back i didn't know how to make proper coffee, or cook plain rice. I depended on 2 mins Maggie for my survival when i was living all by myself in a foreign land.
    Restaurant food made me fat and unhealthy with time.
    Then only, out of compulsion i learnt cooking.

Online tutorials and you tube channels are my favourite.
    I don't follow everyone that teaches cooking, but a few ones that i could really connect with.
    Even to make pizza or buns, I still follow some Indian or Sri Lankan chefs than Italians or Spanish chefs for clarity & understanding.

Secondly, I don't religiously copy whatever they say. I improvise and adjust the cooking according to my own taste buds.
    Like wise, baking times, backing sheets, temperature etc..etc... I use a bit of commonsense when it is required.
    Like if the tutorial say 30 mins backing, I would put 20 mins first, and depending on the status i would decide how many more minutes needed.

Similarly, it is important to adjust the shelves, because it you keep the tray in the first shelf or the last, chances are very height to get thin cookies burnt.
    So, adjust it time to time like inter changing the trays up & down or to always keep it in the middle.

Time is another factor. It is important to allow the dough to rise well, so i would always take extra 5-10 mins before backing.

Have self confidence, because none of us were born chefs. It takes lot of practices, trial & error to have that " kai pakkuwam".

After a decade, I am an excellent cook now. Even i try completely new recipes with full confidence today.

Good luck

4. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

OP - you can visit my website www.lilcomfy.com for eggless cookies recipes. Soon I will upload recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Few tries and you will get hang of it. I can tell you one thing - don’t knead the dough, just assemble it. Kneading will make hard cookies. Happy baking.

anika987 likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you:)

6. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Don’t be so hard on yourself. I have been reading some of your threads before.

I used to bake before but not nowadays, as my kids don’t like anything which has sweet taste.

See many online videos for cooking and do things. It isn’t hard. Moreover we need to cook healthy rather than comparing with others. I simply don’t think much about how others are doing vs me. I just think for each their life and their issues and so I don’t think too much on this.

Cook whatever you are comfortable with and which you can improve on. My grandma was an excellent cook but she never baked!!! See there are plenty of things to cook without ever needing to bake.

But if you still wanted to learn the skill learn it online. Good luck!

anika987 likes this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the reply:)
    Well said

8. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Dear @anika987,

Maybe its one of those days when the cookie did not wanted to turn up well, which is perfectly fine.

A decade back when I started to cook, i did not know the basics of cooking and today i can manage basic cooking, everyone blooms when it is their time...

Maybe after you cook, present them in a fun way for your kids and name your dish something innovative.

There are loads of youtube channels and cook books which help in cooking, so dollow one of them and stay happy.

Hugs
    Nandini

Archanaanchan likes this.
  9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

It might also help to use a cookbook instead of the YouTube etc.
    I am teaching my kids to cook simple recipes and we found this book quite helpful and fun! Many simple recipes including several baking recipes- muffins, cakes, cupcakes, scones.... you name it. 3F6E3E11-9AB1-4147-BF8F-287C0C62841C.jpeg

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Im Horrible at desserts , may be sub consciously because i dont like sweet items.

I remember my husband used to tell me" itna acha kahana khilaya but desert khilakar muh kharab kard diya "

meaning "the main course was amazing but the desert ruined by the last taste buds of mine !"

Then i simply stopped making it,started ordering sweets for dessert all the time after 3 years i guess i started fresh and so far have done well with a particular pattern of cake, Carrot pudding and and ladies and gentleman i baked bread yesterday!!!!! Turned out well too.

so Anika take a break and start afresh!

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.