1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Good Are You At “cooking?..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Apr 28, 2020.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I am terrible (okay maybe not that bad but not good) at cooking and don’t enjoy it either. However, I am an excellent (according to my friends and family) baker. I bake cakes from scratch for every little thing we celebrate .
    It was a learning curve when we moved to higher altitude. My baking wasn’t right. I was talking to a baker at the local bakery and he asked me if I have adjusted for altitude. That was the trick.
    If your cookies are burning, you might want to adjust the oven racks, check the settings of your oven too ( in our house the oven is quite fancy, it took us a while to figure it out and get even heating. Also, decrease time by a few minutes.

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  2. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

The time for baking differs from oven to oven and on the tray/tin sizes used. You need to experiment and check which works for you. If the recipe asks for baking 30 mins, you can start checking from 20-25 mins and it may be till 40 mins for some ovens. This is all science.
    Dont experiment using multiple recipes. Zero down on a simple recipe without much effort- Maybe start with cakes than cookies which is much easier and forgiving. Try one pot bowl cakes where you just need to add and beat the ingredients one by one. No need of separating egg yolks and whites in beginners stage.

Have learnt all this count multiple failures in earlier stages.

Even I bake them using tray lined with parchment paper...doesnt make much difference with sheet

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tips nuss and creativemumma:)

Will try again:)

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

anika987 likes this.
  5. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Baking is a tricky art.I had several episodes of burnt cakes ,muffins ,bread etc..follow the exact measurements but oven temperature you need to adjust.if it's 400f in the recipe I set only 350 in my oven.If it's 20 mins baking time ,in my oven it will be done withing 15 mins.
    Also dark baking pan usually make the bottom burnt if kept for long.I always using middle rack for uniform heating.As soon as I take the baked goodies out of oven I transfer this to a wooden or steel plate.Since pan is already hot ,chances are that it will burn the bottom part of bread/bun etc.

6. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

always keep on eye in oven when u bake first time or beginners. Once it is light brown ,take it out and leave it out for some time. It will cook for some more time with heat in cookies.
    I don’t bake much but I recently tried Betty Crocker fudge brownie aacoridng to the instruction. Came out perfect . It’s first time to me. My family loved it.

don’t lose hope. When we make something first time, we have to be extra cousious. Keep the tray in center rack for avoiding burning or top get burnt. Once they r light brown,take out and keep in cool tray.

Thyagarajan, gknew and anika987 like this.
  7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I am an okay cook, but I enjoy cooking and cooking different dishes every week (I do weekly cooking). My friends enjoy my cooking and they look forward to the dishes I make when we get together.I have started experimenting making cocktails and other drinks too. Overall I love cooking very much and it pushes me to find new recipes all the time!!
    If your cakes and cookies are not turning out okay - there might be 2 culprits - 1) the recipe and 2) your oven. If you are following everything from the recipe, it is your oven. Sometimes, even if some bloggers and videos say, it turned out great their recipe might not be the best to follow. So it might not be you. If you want to try a few cakes let me know if will share you some blogs I follow and they never failed me not once - not even in my crappy oven!!

8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I will try to take out cookies in a lesser time..should do trials and errors and hopefully get better..:)

9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi thanks so much!
    Can you forward some blogs? Would be helpful

10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can get an oven thermometer to calibrate your oven. Often the temperature you set it is not the actual temperature it reaches.
    Some of my favorite blogs are:
    Brown Eyed Baker
    Sally’s Baking Addiction
    Bravetart

The Food Network, Southern Living and Martha Stewart Living websites also have great recipes. And Dorie Greenspan’s World Peace Cookies are worth a try.

anika987 likes this.