1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indusladies Will You Let Me Delete My Account? This Is Scary Than Cambridge Analytica Identity Theft

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by lukywife, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Spot on.
    Stop acting IL, enough faking done so far, please.

SinghManisha and hino like this.
  2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Without taking sides, I am wondering about the practicality of letting people edit/delete their messages.

Someone starts a post and has interactions with other members and then decides to delete their posts, there wouldn't be any context left after that.

Leaving the miscreants aside, the rest of the members who login often and have meaningful conversations, would they find any value in coming here if lot of messages they find have lost context. I think the purpose of this discussion board would be lost.

I doubt any discussion board would allow deletions to the whims of the poster. Its another story in facebook where you delete your own posts in your account. I doubt you can delete conversations/comments there or youtube or cnn.

-----------------------------------------------

The next question that arose in my mind is, what of quoted texts? Delete those too if the original poster wants to change it.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Try re-reading this topic from the start imagining two or three members ( For example YellowMango, Rihana, Sboningala ) all have decided to have removed their posts. Would it be worth painstakingly going through this topic at all?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Rihana likes this.
  3. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

For anyone who reads this , its very clear whether you are taking sides or not.

Because you said you are not taking sides here, I have no need of justifying my opinion to you..

So instead of saying anything, let me ask you something.

Do you see any issue at all?
    If yes,What solution do you suggest?
    If no, there's nothing to discuss anymore.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I read in this thread that there are many websites where user only has to click on Unsubscribe/deactivate and their account gets deactivated. Does anyone who has used such websites and observed members leaving, know what happens in these cases:

1. Member R leaves the forum, account is deleted/deactivated and posts by her are deleted. What happens to threads she starts? Does the entire thread get deleted? Or, does the second post in thread become the first post?

2. This member R's posts quoted by others: her member id and content where her post was quoted remain as is?

3. In #1 and #2 above, if posts by others are also deleted, how do members react to their post count, Like count, and ranking etc going down?

I have not seen any discussion forums where getting all posts deleted and deleting account is a one button click action.

Thoughtful likes this.
  5. hino

hino Silver IL'ite

Privileged IL user or stake holder. who knows.

shravs3 likes this.
  6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

corona has wiped out lives, corporates, countries in a flash :) :) :)

what is IL trying to uphold by not yielding to even review and bring about changes as required.

there has been no single positive response to even understand the requirement.

either a few members turn/pose as co-investors of this site or come in new names to keep bragging about policies of the site.

get to the point straight and say it can't be done instead of claiming that the site is to upkeep the corum of women around the world.

7. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

I don't know a proper solution to this problem raised by sbonigala. This message caught my eye in the link ( how various forum software are implementing it ) posted by Rihana in the other thread ( may be it exists in this forum as well ):

There’s a ranking system that’s used not just to distinguish new members from experienced users, but to automatically give greater moderation capabilities to users who have contributed enough to earn it.

That way, your community can moderate itself and new users won’t be able to post or private message anyone anything that’s inappropriate.

8. Rihana

I read quite a few old and not so old threads in IL - on mindfulness, exercise, weight loss, intermittent fasting, time management, older puzzles in the Neurons thread, college education, etc. In any of these threads, if posts by even one or two members are gone, continuity would be lost. For example, sokanasanah often responds with useful suggestions and information to questions by others. If the questions get deleted, the value of his contribution to that thread and IL would be drastically lowered.

I had asked earlier in this thread how many such impacted threads can a forum accommodate in a week, month or over the long term.

If lukywife and sbonigala or other members are allowed to delete their account or posts/threads, can I also ask for deactivating my id? There are some posts where I was too candid and I spend some sleepless nights wondering what if my folks in India read it ever and connect the dots. So, can I ask for my ~10,000 posts to be deleted? Can I use that one-button deactivate feature being talked about in this thread?

9. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Warning not to post identifiable info while creating new ID and new posts especially for the first few posts would be helpful.

And edit that retains at least 80% of original post could be allowed, on request or automated. So user could edit some of the info that's critical, but not all.

10. Rihana

Because I consider my not reading the existing T&C as an oversight by me, I would make it a request and add sufficient details that will support my case. This is generally what I try to do when I need something, and it helps. I was not saying that all should do the same.

One version of the serenity prayer I find useful when dealing with school, doctor's office, insurance, govt. agencies, etc etc is to differentiate between: do I want to get my request approved OR do I want to change their rules to allow such requests by default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.