1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is There A Substitute For Meditation

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by SuiDhaaga, Apr 21, 2020.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

For past few days I've meditated 3 hours (in chunks).

This caused me to

1. Stop checking celebrity social media accounts
    2. Exercise more
    3. Squeeze in enjoyable activities, even for 10 to 15 minutes, i.e. learn to blind hem by hand
    4. Learn a foreign language

But I have a passion to teach myself Bansuri and sing Sargams. In the past I tried, but medical issues came up.

It is my dream to play Bansuri and sing Sargams when I wake up.
    It is also my dream to Meditate from 3am to 6am each morning.

Playing Bansuri takes time.

1. Does playing Bansuri and singing Sargams substite for meditation where one chants "Om"
    2. Or is it simply a matter of Karma. My Karma says meditate, sew, but Bansuri is on the back burner.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Meditation is basically being in the moment and it’s not exactly to control your thoughts but notice how your thoughts wander.

If you want more focus,try noticing your breath rhythm for a while.

For eg: Reading a book and going deep into it is a form of meditation.

If you like bansuri, do it if it makes you feel good.Its meditation.

Try 11 minutes “sa ta na ma” meditation.It makes you feel good.Its in YouTube.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

This is very interesting.

I was thinking that Bansuri is a form of meditation. When I started meditating more than a year ago, I developed passion to practice Bansuri.

I stopped the meditation and practiced Bansuri. Then I had medical issue. I neither practiced Bansuri, nor Meditated.

My concern is, if I leave meditation for Bansuri, what will happen.

Will the Universe allow my 3-hour meditation AND Bansuri. Or will Universe say, "Do intense meditation for this amount of time, then scaled it down (not eliminate!), so you can practice Bansuri"

'sa ta na ma' looks relaxing indeed. And a book will certainly take you into the author's world!

After my meditation sessions, I feel freshly awaken (I chant 'om', so maybe I drift off).

anika987 likes this.
  4. hino

hino Silver IL'ite

Try Mini-Ananpana.

You can find free course in suitable language in vridhamma.org. Please check out.

5. SuiDhaaga

I will try to monitor my breathing during the 3 hours.

Right now I feel 3 hours is right for me.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

3 hours at a stretch for meditation or breath monitoring? That's quite a long time. One day I will get there. Right now, truth be told, I cannot even binge watch Netflix for 3 hours. : (

hino and anika987 like this.
  7. SuiDhaaga

I Split into one hour chunks. Eventually I'd like to do 3 hours at once. It is a wonderful feeling. Helps you prioritize how to spend your time. Try it!

Rihana and hino like this.
  8. hino

hino Silver IL'ite

3 hrs meditation. hope you know about vipasana courses..they train for a day long meditation.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  9. SuiDhaaga

I'd love to join those. I've heard of 10-hr day meditation for 10 days (if I'm not mistaken)

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@SuiDhaaga,

Remaining in a flow-state is meditation no matter what we do. Even when we are doing domestic work, if we pay our complete attention to what we do, it is a meditative state. Three things are essential to achieve the meditative state on anything we do. We need to do actions skillfully (highest potential we possess), selflessly (not to be praised or rewarded) and lovingly (with complete passion for each action) and then the action is considered in flow-state and becomes meditative action. If your interest is to play Bansuri and sing Sargams, then, you should not resist that passion coming from your consciousness. Even you divert your attention to something else, that thought will linger in your mind always. It is not elapsed time that counts but how much your mind delved into your actions that matter the most.

3 a.m. to 6 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. (around Sunrise and Sunset) are auspicious times to promote satvic quality in human beings. Watch what your conscience is telling you to do. By playing Bansuri or practicing Sargams, you can watch your breath and become thoughtless. There will be times during that session where you feel you are achieving optimal performance without you being conscious about it. In other words, you realize that the action has taken over your mind to achieve the best in whatever you do. That is called a flow-state. During these times, you lose your senses, feeling of I and your intellectual stimulation to play Bansuri well or practice Sargam. These are times, when your consciousness is in control and more you develop that, you begin to live in a meditative state.

I will stop here.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020