100 Days of Positivity

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Enamored of the Doordarshan drama series called Udaan about a small-town girl feathered in aspiration, I would pin that label onto women who have been enterprising and savvy of their needs and orientation in life. Rising above their modest ground, soaring in learning, these unfettered minds create a personal niche for themselves that resists comparison. They take flight in their own planning.

I have always been challenged in expressing that wilful ascension, not the commonly identified theory of prosperity, not characteristic of social status, nothing to do with popularity, yet a mark of intellectual rectitude. You know that bird when you interact. They don't strive to be the most popular because their depth is not populism, nor can they always be agreeable because they defy gratification. Rewarded women? May be. Knowledgeable women? Could be. Intrepid women? Definitely. So? It's still ineffable because 'udaan' is a notion more than a measure to me...there's something udaan about that woman. That notion is interchanged with only one member here. There's something Gauri about her. I don't know when udaan and gauri blended in my construct of uninhibited women whose presence in forums assures me that a woman could dream, accomplish, and dream some more in that flight.

Vaikuntha, Anusha2917, Rihana and 3 others like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I understood the importance of telemedicine two weeks back. My urologist asked me to contact him if I have any discomfort and I had a medical situation that bothered me for a while and in this COVID-19 situation, I neither wanted to go to a physician nor to urgent care/emergency room. I mustered all my courage to call the office of the Urologist and the office told me that my Urologist was seeing his patients only through teleconference. I booked a time with him and he came on a video conference inquiring about my health, asked me specifics of my discomfort and prescribed a medicine over the phone to my pharmacy. Most importantly, he told me to call him if the situation continued and there is a way he could examine me and address my problem without any intervention in his office itself. That gave comfort and I am already on medication for the past 15 days. Technology helped me to overcome a situation without any mental tension.

startinganew, Mistt, kkrish and 4 others like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

April 15 Wednesday:
    Drove 95 miles round-trip to drop off an essential item for a college friend. Just dropped it at her door and left, no talk. The positivity was driving a car after a long time. The engine coming to life, backing out, appreciating the GPS directions ... as the car ate up the miles, each minute of the trip reminded me what a privilege it is to drive. Though truth be told, I did not like the empty roads. Would have given anything to sit in traffic and curse the delay. : )

April 16 Thursday:
    "Silent treatment" antibiotics treatment bearing fruit. Enough said.

April 17 Friday:
    Weekend in the UAE. Heard from some friends and cousins, aunts, uncles after a long time. Summarizing life events of the past 2-3 years, it felt like 'hey life's not so bad after all.' : )

April 18 Saturday:
    My friend's kid (12th grade) had written to her dream college that due to their freshly precarious financial situation she might need more scholarship. After some back and forth by email, the counselor got back to the kid with an offer of an extra $14K off each year. This kid has researched small liberal arts colleges extensively, and found what she likes and applied to only those. I don't even know the names of half of them. I am happy she has more affordable options now.

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This past week the kids had 'spring break' from their Zoom classrooms. I signed them up for Home Economics 101 with myself as instructor. The little one audited the class as the older one learned the fundamentals of Indian cooking. He can now identify most of the spices in my spice drawers and bring the correct jar from the pantry when I ask for sabut moong, or chilka moong or dhuli moong dal. Today he cooked his first vegetable dish, butternut squash with whole spices; handled every step by himself from turning the stove on, to adding ingredients and checking for doneness, with only verbal instructions from me. He even set the Rotimatic and made rotis for all of us. We have many lessons ahead of us but at 11 years of age he now knows enough to make himself a simple meal that is not a sandwich. : )

sabzi.jpg

5. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Went for a walk today, hoping to continue.
    Winter was rough on my 6 packs..

Gauri03, Anusha2917 and Rihana like this.
  6. Rihana

April 19 Sunday:
    Started watching the Korean drama Crash Landing on You. Hooked after just one episode. Light romance drama.

April 20 Monday:
    Left 5-6 statements unsaid over the day.

7. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Went for walk again today...2 days in a row!.. give myself a high five....essentially a clap

8. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Having missed out on obscure news these days, one gander at this organic coil stunned me.
    Few days ago, a floating siphonophore bumped up the science news with its 150 feet cloning aspiration.

Luminous, ethereal, in a galactic warp, this siphonophore discovered off the coast of Western Australia is breath-taking.

Does the head know of the location of its tail? Does it have a head and a tail? As a colony of cloned cells does one cell know of its long lost brethren in that coiled tribe? Imagine reshaping and passing by itself to discover its ancestry with every tightening and slackening. Hey there, C 11140005050 , we met last week when you were the spiral arm, and I was the nodal chin.

9. Rihana

April 21 Tuesday:
    Mindless reading of the strange ways people are adopting to deal with the Coronavirus lead me to news about priests offering drive-thru or drive-by confessions. I now avail of this service at home. The involuntary young priest was nonplussed for a bit but recovered fast enough to not look a gift horse in the mouth. The only reciprocation I sought: don't call me a boomer; it is inaccurate and pejorative. As for the confessions themselves, I have to only google "Asian Parent" for a laundry list to pick from.

April 22 Wednesday:
    "Suspended disbelief" watching of a drama series after 14 years.

April 23 Thursday:
    Happened to observe and reflect on how my son and daughter deal with differences in their styles of loading and unloading the dishwasher and managing the sink in between. Was like a getting a sneak-peek into their possible future lives with significant others.

Gauri03 likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I have finished the moral classes titled "Purity" this week. I am teaching children in the age group of 12-17 for almost a year now. The last topic that lasted for 10 classes (one class a week) was intense. I covered subjects such as a) Purifying thoughts, b) self-confidence, c) exploring one's potential, d) serving the people in need, e) defining oneself, f) continuous improvement, g) conscious mind, h) subconscious mind, i) unconscious mind, j) power of meditation, k) impulse control including how attraction and repulsion works, l) self-awareness, m) sense of direction, n) improvement in focus and effectiveness in life, o) resilience in tough times, p) fulfilling relationships, q) choosing friends, r) lifestyle changes including food habits, exercises, the danger of stress, the importance of sleep, three Gunas such as Satvic, Rajasic, and Tamasic, mindfulness, s) social media benefits and disadvantages, health issues associated with social media use, digital addiction, precautions to be used in social media and t) advantages of journal writing.

Almost all of the classes included videos that give life lessons. In some classes, the children were very engaged asking a lot of questions and in other classes, they were emotionally charged. When I talked about how engineers in Snapchat are trying to get teens' streaks going, most of them were in tears indicating that they are a victim of such attention enhancement techniques used by social media companies. I explained the danger of leaving mobile phone attended, sharing photographs with strangers, the habit of selfie-taking in public places, the danger of texting while driving, and many more.

When I told them in the last class that the class is over for this spring and again the class will start in Fall, they were reluctant to leave the class. The class is online and conducted through Skype. As the number of students are in single-digit, it is easier to pay a lot of attention to each student.

Giri12, Rihana and Gauri03 like this.