Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Novalis,

I read your note on Udaan girl and your eloquent description of how some women have ambitions to fly high with a moderate background. Aren't those role models converting ordinary life to one of an extraordinary life and a life of celebration makes the world much more interesting to experience? Ceilings on growth are only artificially fixed by our own mind conditioned on the risk factors drilled into our minds by the generation of ancestors. Those who break these barriers fly high both professionally and personally. They realize that if they keep getting higher and higher goals, they are not only removing the artificial barriers but also setting an example for the next generation to emulate. Quality of life is directly proportional to how we value ourselves and our self-worth. Every time we encounter a new challenge whether they are personal or professional, we build intrinsic value in us which is not visible to anyone but ourselves.

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

When two have nominated and can a third person come n use the term " I third this nomination? "
    Just like how second is used as a verb can third be used?
    What will the fourth person say ?
    Just trying to learn how it goes?

Gauri03 and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

There's no hugs emoji in IL.
    So here's a virtual **hug** from me to you Novalis.
    Your reply made me smile :) perfectly expressed.

4. Viswamitra

When I was in India I wanted to visit an ILite when I was traveling in another city. I asked this ILite whether I can visit her and she welcomed me with an open heart. We had a long conversation and her hospitality can't be described in words. We didn't even realize how long we conversed and at some point in time, I said I need to leave for the airport. The next day, she called me and asked whether I have room for carrying two mugs in my hand baggage. Wondering what was it about, I asked her more questions. She explained simply that two mugs are gifts (one for me and another for my wife) with one of her photographs printed on the mugs. The next day the parcel arrived by courier and I proudly took that with me to the US. I thank her in my heart every morning when I use that mug to take my cup of coffee.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    startinganew and Anusha2917 like this.
  5. Viswamitra

I believe "second" is a verb but "third" and "fourth" are not. Maybe one can say "I second the seconder" or "I support the seconder". The fourth person onwards should say, "I support that nomination".

Anusha2917 likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I've seen third and fourth used as verbs in informal settings. Such usage has become acceptable while speaking casually or in jest, as a play on words. However in formal English it is incorrect. While 'to second' has a history of formal use in meeting protocols, third and fourth do not. After the second person, 'I support' or 'I agree with' would be proper usage.

Viswamitra and Anusha2917 like this.
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One of the consequences of the labor migration, closed borders and travel limitations is the disruption of global food supply chains. By most accounts we will start feeling the impact of these disruptions in 2-3 months. While there are ample reserves of staple crops like wheat and rice, we might see an increase in prices due to hoarding of these grains by nations that rely on food imports, while producer nations like Russia, India, USA and Eastern European countries put curbs on exports. The impact on fresh produce will be more immediate and noticeable. Many of these products cannot be stored long term and need to be moved quickly from farm to market. Right now it is the start of the strawberry picking season in the US but there is a severe shortage of farm laborers since the border with Mexico is locked down. Strawberries are handpicked and need to be picked within days of ripening. Without labor it is quite possible we will see shortages and high prices going into the summer. Many summer vegetables are planted around this time. With fewer workers, planting, harvesting, the entire cycle will suffer. I think people will see at least a 20% increase in grocery bills in the next few months. I have planted a larger selection of vegetables this year. Hoping to be able to compensate for that 20% increase with home grown produce.

Viswamitra and Kohvachn like this.
  8. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

The widespread agony is valuing ourselves through other's standards and appraisals. Self-goals are rarely the invention of the self, mined from the public imagination, which causes confusion and heart burn. Not every fulfillment is tangible. I like the way you chalked the preparedness for life in the 'intrinsic' value of the pursuit. While some of these pursuits have no overt fulfillment, they are still engaged for personal ambition. Their intrinsic value just happens to be a personal claim rather than a public merit.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

My home is cluttered with such objets d'friendship. I never organize that clutter because I want everything that is comforting and 'believing' at ready sight. A tragicomic sting.

10. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Coffee mugs are nifty and valued gifts! Easy to take home. In remembrance of the ask to pick a mug for myself from a store by a friend, I still cherish this gifted mug, rested on my table. I drink my lassi, water, smoothie everything in it. My personal billy can. That day I picked the most unshapely, grotesque looking mug with splashy colors, a mug from hell, which was distinctive! That mug never disappointed me in amusement. Weirdly curled up mug which is used for everything, roughened up in microwave to dishwater, ekdam khaas!

Viswamitra likes this.