Do People “really” Have Clean Homes All The Time??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Apr 11, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Honestly..I do work hard in the house to keep it clean only to see it mess up Very quickly..

My husband helps me with regards to kid or other stuff but with housework..nope.

My kid needs constant reminder to pick up and clean up.

Also, I confide that there are days when I don’t do the Laundary and after doing it ..clothes pile up and gets boring to fold it and I let go.The. Next day I Work like crazy from dawn to
    Dusk.Again..messes happens and this saga continues.

I try my best to keep things in place but the cleaning seems to be a lot.

I cook three times a day and then the vessels,dishwashing and racking it up work is there.

Also,with kid at home her needs I need to attend.

Then the bathroom cleaning is there.Garage is a mess.How much spring cleaning can one do!

Checked hubby car and it is dirty!!! Mine needs to be dusted and truck cleaned out.

I feel zapped.It gets seriously irritating.

One thing I crazy envy is how do people have clean homes,clean cars,go to work,raise great kids,look awesome and do it all!!

I feel like a failure when am not able to fix myself.I am 40 and by this time I should be organized and have life in place.

I have posted threads before of me looking for a job and thanks to cornavirus..that stopped too.No matter what anyone says..being at home is very tough.Tough in sense..many women at home want to be productive, they want to prove their worth and they overdo things just like I do and when things don’t go right..they feel so dejected.the question “what do you do at home all day”..trust me many homemakers do a lot!!! But that work seems not so worth coz it does not fetch money.we hold a microscope and do the work which is actually wrong.Infact we oversee,overclean ,overdo,have too much expectations on ourselves and want to prove and Nothing ever seems enough.

when I used to work full time before kids,Even if I eat frozen food,buy outside,or cook simple Stuff,home is bit here and there..it never bothered.Now just to prove a point (god knows to whom) over killing myself.

I am rambling today but feeling tired coz am going to get my periods,my hormones are going haywire,my mil just irritated me yesterday with her comments,My cousin fought with me,my home is a mess..sucks!!

There was a time in 2003..when I felt stuck in life.Dad died,mom Super soft,I was having arrears,no friends,my family members were looking for a groom and they told me not to have expectations as am not that worth.I let go...cut to the chase,am living abroad with a wonderful hubby and child.

Now the same feeling of being stuck in life..somehow this time am not able to Let go.I am trying hard but today I burst to tears..I need to fix myself.

My doctor appointment with my psychologist has also been postponed unfortunately.

I know what I wrote has no connection with each other..felt like journaling what I feel now..

I will be okay hopefully and am sure everybody feels stuck from time to time.

the title of my thread and what I wrote has no connection also..lol..

just venting out..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Thyagarajan likes this.

2. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

You just wrote up my routine!!

It's okay to not do laundry, keeping mess, not cooking food. Im not guilty over it, nothing would change your life, but you will spoil harmony of the house, if you worry much of it. I know my worth as a better human being than any other, no one come to near by comparision over all the women I know, yes it's my statement!! My gut feeling. Im happy in keeping home happy, raising happy and matured teenagers. Final note, storms are very common like I stab someone in any moment.

Huh irrelevant reply, just like you felt :)

Vaikuntha, Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  3. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

I'm with you. I want to write so much but I'm too lazy to type it out.!
    Will be right back! Meanwhile just breathe .:)

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

As a certain Disney Princess said: Let it go.
    I pick up every day and mop and dust as I go but I have accepted that with a toddler underfoot my house is never going to look Pinterest-worthy at least for the next few years. As long as we get are adequately fed, clothed and have basic hygiene I count that as a win.

Thyagarajan, nuss, GoneGirl and 2 others like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, there are people who have homes that are mostly clean, and are able to strike a balance between work, home and raise great kids while looking awesome.

It seems to come naturally to them and they seem to have luck on their side. A closer inspection will show that they achieve this state by discipline, diligence and postponing gratification. They have the same resources and time as we have but they use these more efficiently. I'll give one example of how these people are different from the rest of us: if they are dealing with an issue like want to switch job, need to modify a behavior in kid/spouse, start or stop a habit, they spend a limited time researching it, seek the best counsel they can afford, make a list of steps, and get down to it. They don't stay in the endless cycle of reading articles, books, watching videos. Once they have sufficient knowledge to get started, they start and improvise the process based on performance.

Some of us can manage this in one or two areas of life at a time. Others manage it in more.

SGBV, Topaz49, Angela123 and 6 others like this.
  6. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Rihana, cannot agree more with you! All my thoughts exactly.I didn't know how to express it so perfectly.

Rihana and anika987 like this.
  7. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

This hit home for me, this is what I do. It has helped tremendously, especially with My kid.

anika987 and Rihana like this.
  8. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

@anika987
    My home is a mix of clean and messy. I started involving my kid since young to give me a hand around the house, best decision of my life. Esp during this lockdown.
    Dh helps too.
    So it’s like it gets messy everyday and we clean everyday, especially the space we use on a daily basis.
    For the places we don’t use regularly, it’s cleaned once in a while.
    I don’t aim for perfection, but a space filled with life, light and love. Sounds corny haha, but that’s what it is. That if friends come over, they will stay for some extra time. That’s what I love about a home.
    Coz I have seen picture perfect houses but with such cold vibe, that you can’t wait to get out soon enough.

Angela123, anika987 and nuss like this.
  9. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Pardon me for asking, why do you need to cook three times a day? I cook only once in the day (in the morning) enough for lunch and dinner. If there are some left overs, they will last till lunch next day. If you are cooking for breakfast, prepare something like idli batter, dosa batter - which don't require you to "cook" in the morning. Use non-stick pan for making dosas. You can try also oatmeal for breakfast, it's healthy and easy to make.

I too used to have that problem with laundry. I sorted my closet. I kept bins for undergarments. So it's easy to weed out those first. I also saw Sadhguru's video on folding clothes. Many women also suggested folding the blankets on the bed. I am pretty sure a lot of people have that habit, but I didn't earlier. Now I do it whenever I get a chance. If not in the morning, at least evening I fold the blankets like a ritual.

Yes, bathrooms are in a mess. But I do try my best to keep them clean. I don't know if you are living in an apartment, if you live in a single family home, see to it that your bathrooms get enough sunlight, this will prevent mold formation. You can invest in a skylight. This will help you not to clean bathrooms every fortnight, maybe once in a 2 months. You can also ask for cleaning services once in 3 months to lighten your load. Make sure to keep all your valuables in a safe place before you call them though.

Don't try to wash the sinks too often. Someone told me they just wipe the sinks with paper towel on the weekend so that it doesn't look too messy.

I also realized that it's very very important to not hoard stuff. Throw away clothes that you don't wear or donate them. Even broken stuff - don't keep them in the house. That has been my biggest challenge so far.

It is just a matter of setting routine. Even my house is not super clean, it looks messy, but I am trying to do my bit. And don't worry, you are not alone. Just try to get over it and do something about it. There are many women I am sure, who are in the same boat as you. I am trying to incorporate these small changes to make the house look neater.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.
  10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I might appear to be that person from outside, the one you envy! But let’s not fool ourselves. Most of it is doable because we have a cleaning lady who does deep cleaning every other week. She spends 6-8 hours cleaning every nook and cranny, vacuum, dusting, changing sheets etc. But she doesn’t clean front/back yards that’s our responsibility.

With 2 kids under 7, our house is not organized all the time or Pinterest worthy but I have found a way to organize the stuff. I posted some ideas and pictures in your another similar thread. We have transparent bins for smaller toys (Legos etc), chest that does double duty as a coffee table and holds bigger toys. Their playroom has cube shelves. We have puzzles and board games in the dining area since most of that stuff happens on the dining table. Do they put away the toys every time they are done playing? Of course not. Is it important? Not for me. It’s more important for the kids to stay entertained and enjoy the games than a well organized house. We do have a rule- if they want to watch TV, they will have to put away the toys first.
    Is the house clean? Yes. Is it organized- not all the time!
    Garage and cars- I clean the garage a few times a year and that’s it. Cars- I clean my car if I am at gas station and have some extra time. I don’t care how my husband’s vehicle is. It’s his problem.

Meals and Dishes: okay dishes are my weakness. My sink needs to be clean. I put away dishes in dishwasher or do myself as soon as there are even a few dishes in the sink. Since we all have been home for almost 4 weeks now, we have been cooking three times a day and baking with the kids almost every day. I still do the dishes as soon as the baking sheet goes in the oven or the meal is cooked. I find it easier to get the dishes done right away before sitting down.

Laundry- I do laundry in the evening instead of during the day. By the time kids are asleep, dryer is done and I/we fold/ hang the laundry in peace. Instead of folding everything, I have bins for kids small stuff and all shirts/tees go on hangers. Same for us.....not much to fold except for PJs.

Most important part is not to worry about what other people have. You will never be at peace if you compare yourself with others. There will always be someone more organized! Do what works for you! You are worth more than a clean house!

For some, my closet is probably not well organized but for my comfort it is. You need to find your comfort level!

FEF40F8A-2F18-4724-981B-222AC634DBA0.jpeg
    6664E53E-B541-4B9F-8395-68E33462D9DD.jpeg
    My MIL gave me this dish towel along with the book I requested for my birthday. I love it!

Vaikuntha, anika987 and Mistt like this.