1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Positives of your MILs

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SGBV, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Roopamanju

Roopamanju Platinum IL'ite

Positives of Mil :eek:- nothing, zero:rage:

2. Benadryl

Benadryl Silver IL'ite

My MIL was awesome. During courtship - within a couple of days she asked me pointblank - "what is the answer going to be - I am not going to let my daughter form a bond with you and suffer if you are going to say no". I was in USA and she in her hometown in India. This showed how fiercely she protected her kids.

As I got to know her. I learned that even with the meager salary of her workaday husband, she built her own house. That too a house with two floors. When she told me how she did it - I was amazed. Of course, there was a lot of luck and God business. So I admired her financial skills.

During the post-marriage of one of her other children she was going through the bills/invoices provided by local suppliers of tent/dinner etc. She was so fast and sharp that even with about 4 A4 size sheets of hand written bills - she knew exactly which item was not being billed accurately and could keep a running total in her head ! I got a headache even reading those hand written invoices. Just imagine her mental capacity.

She was married in her early 10's. Couldn't complete SSC. She was do determined to study that she and her first child sat for SSC together ! Just imagine for one second what she would have had to go through. I admired her determination.

One of the ways I form an opinion of someone when they say they are a foodie is by the way they cook. She had an out of the world sense of spices and foods. Of course she found her match in her SIL - when she would cook the same dish on say 4 different occasions I could accurately tell her what she did different (Different oil used. Peanuts roasted/ground for less/more time. Bell peppers cooked differently etc.) - she was also amazed at the talent of my tongue. Used to say "I cooked for the whole (extended) family for decades but no one has been able to say what you say". But I think it was more her cooking which made every spice of a dish just dance in my mouth.

In certain matters of daily life she would even scold her daughter (my wife)and tell her I was correct.
    What I have written above are certain events which lead me into admiring that woman. She was great overall. There were so many good things about her. I really miss her. I have a daughter myself and I hope she imbibes more of my MILs qualities. Not of my wife and definitely not of my mother.

Mistt, SunPa, Thyagarajan and 3 others like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@Benadryl
    Your pseudo name reminds me the syrup with little chloroform for giving instant relief from dry cough. It is an expectorant appears on tv channels in India.

2. A read of your post had given a complete different positive feel to me as if I had reached an oasis when I was lost in desert.

3. Kudos to your MIL who seems to be entirely made of a different stuff. Nice reading.

4. In my association with IL of 3 years standing SELDOM I have come across a male - post/thread here of 2015 origin praising their MIL for her huge +ves.

5. Madam sister @jayasala42 & a few and you are holding their Mil in reverence.

Thanks and Regards.

God Bless.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    KashmirFlower and Benadryl like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

5. Benadryl

Benadryl Silver IL'ite

Thank you sir. It means a lot to hear this from you. I didn't even mention most of the things about her. She came all the way to be with us when our child was born - after doing her chemo sessions ! Her fingers/knuckles wouldn't bend but she would never complain and always give a hand in everything. My own parents asked me to get lost when my MILs visa was initially rejected and I asked if they could be with us in experiencing our first born. I was surprised to hear that when her knees were very weary and she couldn't sit or stand from sofa - no one in her family thought of buying a bar stool! I got her one a few months before her passing and she would only sit on that stool and proudly declare to everyone that SIL is so thoughtful.

Of course, once she was here, I personally took very good care of her and even FIL was surprised of how good her health had become. Till her last days I used to pull her leg "because you are not getting love of SIL you are becoming ill" :) .. at least I brought some smiles to her face.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Mistt and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello: thank you.
    2. You have rendered service to an angel closed to God in distress sent yo you to test your patience and level of endurance.
    3? You have won in the test created for you by God which you loved and felt it was close to your heart and accordingly you dealt with it.
    Regards.
    God Bless.

Benadryl likes this.
  7. Giri12

Giri12 Gold IL'ite

Such a good thread. I would like share few things too. Mine is love marriage. Before marriage my husband used to say his mother is just like my mother very nice very good n after 11 years i cant deny it. She is quite good actually. As a human being she is very loving caring. She is excellent cook and good tailor too. Many a times she has taken good care of me. Many times she has given credit to me. Has praised my skills. Has taken my side whenever needed. Has tolerated my mood swings too. We do share a good bonding.
    As it is a thread of good qualities i would like to add few more pf my grand mother in law. She wakes up at 6.30 every day without alarm. She is 92 yrs old. She has a very limited n restricted veg diet. She is quite fit. Can walk for 20 mins without any support. She is a live example of ideal lifestyle. Always ready to sleep at 10 pm. As per age she questions a lot irritates sometimes but still is loving n caring soul. She eats almost all vegetables n hardly complaints about cooking.

SCA and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

What I have seen in my 11 years of marriage life is that, if a mother has so much love for her son, she will also love and accept her no matter what. Because all she wants is a happy life/marriage for her son & his offspring.

But if the mother doesn't have that much of love or affection towards her son, she would find it hard to accept her DIL unless the DIL makes conscious effort to win the MIL. It just doesn't happen easily.

Not all the mothers love their children unconditionally or equally. It is very subjective matter, and it varies person to person.

Caughtinbetween and Thyagarajan like this.