1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How do Indian Women protect their hair in USA ??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Kodavati, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

It may be my hair - I never used any kind of filtered water on my hair. I do use an oil hair pack at least once a week. and never used any other shampoo than Johnson and Johnson or paraben free (right now I am using 'not your mothers' charcoal shampoo, it is from ulta. I do not use any conditioners. Before I Flat iron my hair, I use a heat protectant - I use its a miracle 10, available in most of the stores. I eat multi vitamins everyday, after the first child I switched to prenatal vitamins, and added omega 3, and biotin, and still doing that. Hair fall is very depressing.
    I use an avocado-coconut oil-olive oil-egg mask and sit for an hour and wash with shampoo. This is once a month or so. I use moderate hot water to clean my hair because I use a lot of oil. I am not sure how often you wash your hair. I do it twice a week only. Also, I brush my hair morning and evening. And I go for haircuts twice a year or if I am growing long, just once a year - I pick a package of wash,cut and style and ask my stylist what products are best or best practices to keep hair healthy. They can recommend depending on your hair type. Mine is fine hair and brown.
    If you use public water system, the tap water is good for drinking, that case IMO it should be good for hair too. Again, it is just my personal opinion. Try the same routine you had in india. If you use to have oil on hair, use the same oils before you change to anything else. One other thing is check with a doctor if you have any hormonal imbalances or any change in the body - weight again, weight loss or allergies, or even stress and such. Usually hair fall is just a symptom of other underlying issues.

adwitiasu, virtualkv2020 and shravs3 like this.
  2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I once used Johnson &Johnson but i felt it made my hair rough and dry :(

Angela123 likes this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I don't use it anymore, it does make my hair dry - but I use other products after shampooing. Coconut oil definitely helps and it is not greasy if used in the right amount.

shravs3 likes this.
  4. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I am using hibiscus from my tree to use as a hair pack as I don’t want to use my kitchen ingredients (considering the current times :( ). For those who have no access to fresh hibiscus they can buy plain hibiscus tea ( dried hibiscus flowers with no additional flavors) online. It’s wise not to throw any of these peels - orange,lemon,onion,potato as one can make of them according to their need in hair packs.

5. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Where do you get hibiscus in USA? IS it the regular ornamental hibiscus from garden centers?

6. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Hibiscus plants are available in nurseries and stores like Home Depot. There are several types, but only the organic red variety (single petal or double petal) and organic white variety have the highest medicinal value and are recommended to use. You can pick red or white variety from any nursery.The flowers blossom during summer. You can check if the plants are available to purchase online.Both the leaves and flowers are used for hair care.Dried red hibiscus flowers are available on amazon and Walmart.I saw them in Mediterranean super markets.People use them to make tea. Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Organic-Hibiscus-Flowers-Sifted/dp/B0012BSDNW

7. adwitiasu

adwitiasu New IL'ite

thaks a lot for your tips. I am considering meeting a doctor as hairfall is increasing day by day. it has been more than 5 months in US and it gets worse with every passing day. i think this is the right time to consider meeting a dermatologist .

8. adwitiasu

adwitiasu New IL'ite

Hey.. thanks a lot. I am already following the bucket method you have mentioned. i dont oil my hair. so i think that is something i can try. also, i am considering seeing a dcotor for the hair loss problems.