1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Good,bad And The Ugly-part 3

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Apr 1, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

THE GOOD,BAD AND THE UGLY-PART 3

Adoption

The wait for adoption of a child could get longer as as 29000 prospective parents wait while there are only2317 children registered for adoption with CARA.1401 are special needs children,89 normal children over 2 years[not preferred],649 normal children and178 children in sibling category who cannot be separated.[CARA Website].On an average 25000 parents wait for adoption while only around 4000 children are being adopted every year.Simplified process to have a hazzle free adoption within the frame work of the legal system is under focus.[CENTRAL ADOPTION RESOURCES AUTHORITY-CARA]

Ducks vs Locusts

China is reported to be contemplating despatch of100,000 strong army of ducks whose natural diet includes insects.,China had adopted the strategy with considerable effectiveness. A ducks capacity is a minimum 0f 200 locusts per day. Pakistan was affected by a locust swarm threatening the current wheat crop.Popular edible insects in China according to reports are grasshoppers,silkworm pupae,wasps,bamboo insects and stink bugs but because of logistics problems they are deputing ducks instead of the Chinese.[mine]

Tomato soup for the soul

Happiness is an experience.Similarly sadness is also an experience.For people who do not have peace of mind and clarity even happiness will appear as an experience of sadness .Like children tend to avoid taste like bitterness we avoid all feelings other than happiness[Swami Sukhabodhananda]

In a flooded village a man who could not swim climbs a tree. A few minutes later a bird also comes and sits on a branch. Both man and bird are sitting on the tree.However if the branch breaks the man will die and the bird will take off on its wings. Gita will provide the internal wings for the man to face the situation.[Jaya Row]

Don’t disturb us-we are on honeymoon

Passengers aboard the Ahmedabad Jaipur flight had a new experience of two pigeons in the aircraft before take off .Theories abound- they needed privacy and they were going on a honeymoon to Jaipur[my theory].Rajasthan Government should use pigeons as tourism ambassador.

Tough times don’t last but tough people do

Verma,a single mother [38] of a boy [19] who survived an abusive marriage worked as a domestic help before Madam helped her to run professionally understanding her interest in sports.Verma finished in 14 of the races she ran in 2019 and it is common knowledge that she earns around Rs 20000 every time she wins.In the Tata Memorial Marathon in January 2020 she completed 42 kms in 3 hrs 52 mts against the bench mark of 3 hrs 5 mts. Today she only depends on running for survival. She has shown her alcoholic husband who deserted her 15 years back that she is made of steel.

We are open and transparent

A study carried across 10 major transport and transit hubs has shown that truckers/ owners pay Rs.48000 Crores annually in bribes..The survey findings are based on a detailed survey of around 1300 truckers.Guwahati, Chennai and Delhi hubs belong to the hall of fame with maximum collections. During our time, bribe was something taken secretly but today it is business as usual in the full glare of the public.

PS. With your permission I propose to change the title as “Razzmatazz” with the next posting.

Amica likes this.
  2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for compiling this, @sln! I am shocked by how corruption is now considered business as usual. Years ago, I had to pay "baksheesh" to get a copy of my birth certificate and was quite upset because everyone acted as if it was an officially mandated fee.

Razzmatazz sounds good. :thumbsup:

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.If you have time and patience you can still get things done without bribing.I got my house registration and change of car registration number at Chennai done without paying a penny.Having been accustomed to visit the departments just for signature during my heydays,it was a painful experience.Coaxing,cajoling and threatening did the job.Today many of the jobs are digitalised and such certificates are available on line.If it has taken around 70 years to perfect the art of corruption it will take atleast half the time to eliminate or cut down the rate and instances of corruption.Regards SLN

Amica likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

So long as insects do not carry viruses that can "jump" and mutate to infect their eaters, they are ok.
    Mexico and the United States (hispanics who like old fashioned cuisines) also eat grasshoppers. We can get them in USA, in the mexican markets of certain large cities where there are sizable mexican immigrant populations. Chapulines is the Spanish name for it.
    [​IMG]
    It is used as a "Tadka" component, so like urad-dal, in some recipes.

When the gifted ducks from China get fattened with their diet of locusts, they will still be so totally halal for the local cuisine. Ducks are protein, but merely once removed from locusts.

Grub is good protein -- For entomophagists, insects, i.e., “mini-livestock”—are an efficient and tasty source of animal protein. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/08/15/grub

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

[
    [/QUOTE]

6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Yes; I've heard that Jains are pretty hardcore. And other vegetarians are OK only with the adventitious insect proteins. It is all in the look, smell,taste and texture thing, I am sure.

Stuff made out of C,H,O, N,S, and a few other elements when presented in a familiar format, smell, taste, and texture a dish of worms would appeal to one, and the other may want pongal/vada/sambar. Same thing.

Modern Vietnam is an International tourist hub. Lots of indian tourists these days. Namaste Hanoi restaurant serves Masala dosa of various kinds, and compete with Tandoor Hanoi that is not too far away. Local wealthy go to these shops; these are not affordable to the hoi polloi. I am surprised that you got served native cuisine; the Vietnamese show-off's eat French, and pooh pooh the traditional, local Pho.
    excerpt from wiki:
    Entomophagy ......
    insect-eating is common to cultures in most parts of the world, including Central and South America, Africa, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. Eighty percent of the world's nations eat insects of 1,000 to 2,000 species.[3][4]

7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

i have seen bamboo workers who make baskets,eating 'eesal' an insect that is commonly seen surrounding the glowing bulbs. I have seen people in and around Ramnad are addicted to eesal fries taken as snacks.

jayasala 42

Amulet likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Amazing the way they harvest the insects.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

I went to Vietnam in 1995.Things were quite different.The beef soup smell will permeate the atmosphere first thing in the morning.We used french loaf which I was not fond of.By tipping the girl in the kitchen I used to get steamed rice and boiled potatos.With condensed milk[tin] and idli powder I managed.After 10 days an australian shipment brought yogurt which was a big help.The airport is stuffed with bottles in which six/seven varieties of snakes are soaked and sold.[snake wine]This is considered to be an aphrodisiac .Millions of bottles are sold. Imagine your fate when your neighbour in the table goes on slicing and eating what they call Moray eels. Compared to this, simple thayir sadam and pickles are heaven.I was younger -I could manage -not now.It is a interesting country comprising of courageous,committed and hard working people.Women play a major role in any activity.
    Thanks for your comments.SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

You come across narikoravas eating crow chicks in tamilnadu.They also carry bags of eesels in buses.The experience of Vietnam was altogether on a different plane.
    SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.