Should Everyone Wear Masks?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by startinganew, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Petrol stations in Taipei (Taiwan) had always given a free mask (nonwoven surgical type) to two wheeler drivers when they buy petrol+oil above a certain price in NT$. Quite often many of these gas-station masks are tossed into the storage compartment under the seat. When they offer a ride to someone else, the drivers often offer a new mask to the pillion rider from their stockpile. This mask will surely stop them from spreading their sneezes or coughs to others.

In India I have seen girls wrapping their duppattah around their nose and mouth when they are driving a two wheeler. The masks protect them from particles from exhaust as well as other sources.

The multi-layer cotton masks with pockets to insert a filter (sponge or nonwoven) are quite good. It would take about an hour or so to make one by hand, if one does not own a sewing machine. For insert filters, no need to buy anything -- people can just fold multiple layers of cloth, and use that.

2. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Now that masks are suggested to improve safety for common public and if we cant make DIY masks where are you people buying masks from , the regular masks those blue color ones i suppose ? thanks

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I’m planning to buy on Etsy. Found few cloth masks.

4. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Thank you I will check it out.

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

What we need is for masks to become a fashion statement. They'll trend as soon as designer labels put them on the runway.

6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

black masks is in Korea , long before Covid19 , you can get cute ones too.
    Google BTS , a Korean boy band .

Amica likes this.
  7. Dolly_Lite

Dolly_Lite Bronze IL'ite

I see many types of masks. Which one is good?

8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

saw this familiar painting (by Vincent van Gogh) on the internet.... hilarious!!
    [ how much of his own (other) ear he had cut off was discussed by a lot of his contemporaries]
    upload_2020-4-3_21-58-45.png

9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

10. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

These are some factors I would consider:

1. Better to have cloth ties than elastic - because this will ensure a tight fit for people whose faces have different sizes. Even though elastic band is easier to use, how closely the mask fits across the contour of your face is important to minimize gaps.

2. Important to have a pocket to insert a filter between the two cotton layers. Even two layers of kitchen tissue will make a good filter. I can show you some Internet sources filtering capacity. I call it "Internet source" - because it's not from a reliable hospital/research lab.
    The filter should be disposed after each use and the mask should be washed with soap and water after each use. So if you can afford, please buy more than 1 so you can rotate as one of your masks remains washed and for drying.

Dolly_Lite likes this.