Should Everyone Wear Masks?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by startinganew, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Yes; soap and hot waster wash should take care of that. For the anal, there is this:
    All middle class desi homes have pressure cookers. If the mask is a DIY cotton mask, one could cook it. This is similar to the process of autoclaving that hospitals and biology research facilities use for sterilizing their non-disposables.

KashmirFlower and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

the decision was due to lack of availability of N95 masks . We bought a pack during California wild fire . But they are not re usable . In fact all dentist office have been asked to donate their mask and gloves to hospitals due to scarcity of mask . I’m not sure how effective are cloth mask

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I wish they just shared reliable information on how useful each kind of mask is and leave it at that. This 'do not wear' was advice that didn't make sense.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. mangaii

Sanitizing mask is not a problem I’m just wondering about how effective are they in filtering viruses . Cloth mask also tend to go close to mouth . In case if they cannot filter that will surely enter into mouth due to sweat and proximity to mouth . I used n95 mask and found it really exasperated from lack of oxygen . I was sweating too .

KashmirFlower and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

That is the exact question to be asking. From two/three months ago - lots of makers, volunteers, scientists, students are testing and extending existing research to figure this out: Efficacy of DIY masks. The research is not final but there is lots of evidence to show it does help - so the question is we can't wait for long-term, studies to come up with evidence that it helps since it is better we start sooner (as we see some considerable benefits already with what we know).

Here is a sample study I have only skimmed through. When I get back online, I will compare size of this new coronavirus with the bacteria being studied here:

TABLE 1 Filtration Efficiency and Pressure Drop Across Materials Tested...

Snapshot of table so you get an idea of what type of studies people have done.

Also try to read this: COVID-19: WHY WE SHOULD ALL WEAR MASKS  — THERE IS NEW SCIENTIFIC RATIONALE

upload_2020-3-30_18-41-33.png

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. mangaii

I have a friend who works in Covid unit . The hospitals do have hepa filter other than they all have to breathe same air . Initially they had hard time procuring n95 masks . I think the airborne is little scary since they went back and forth on that . For me biggest problem have been sanitizing shoes

7. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

From what I read, there are ways to reuse N95 when used outside hospital setting. Please google to double check before throwing away your mask...

8. mangaii

Sorry to hijack this thread but if you go to store how do you sanitize your shoes ?

9. mangaii

@startinganew i gave it to my friend who is working in hospital . I couldn’t breathe using that . It was all sweaty .

10. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

That's really thoughtful and generous of you! :thumbup: