1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Interested In One Meal A Day..

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by AmulB, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

so i have completed 9 fasts till now . fasting for close to 22-23 hours each day . its dirty means i take tea with milk and stevia once during the fasting window and once during eating window most days . and during the eating window i take one big meal . not exactly calorie counting but roughly teas+food would come up to ~1400 calories. right now its bad food choices actually eating whatever is available . my main focus for this month is to stick to one meal only even if its bigger than average and water intake . and in parallel improve the food choices . so far weight loss is almost same like 1lb a week but this time i am measuring the progress by how well clothes fit me . in these 10 days two of my old tshirts that i could not even get myself into fit me now , though very snug in the lower part and hands but i could comfortably get into it for now. so thats my progress report :grinning-smiley-048:

AmulB likes this.
  2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Good. Happy to hear. I am planning to start omad first week of April. I have 4 more kg to lose before May 14. Like to lose soon

3. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

Still u r good going with OMAD. I did omad for 6days and I got some other health issue and I’m on antibiotics and anti inflammatory, due to high doses I couldn’t cope w fasting so many hours, I switched back to 16:8, still having one big meal in the noon, evening having small snack or fruit or salad or light meal for dinner to take my antibiotics. I used to have splitting headache w omad, now when I add small meal around evng it’s not bad. At night I feel v hungry but drinking water is helping me to go back to sleep. I wish to resume after my course is done.

4. ActiveGirl

ActiveGirl New IL'ite

Hi...I want to do OMAD from tomorrow....I will update my current weight tomorrow...

AmulB likes this.
  5. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

update: i was able to do omad for the most part this month except 3 days roughly when i ate a small second meal at night besides my omad. pounds have not moved a lot except a little improvement in inches. my goal is to be able to do omad for this month and then starting next month improve the food i eat during that meal . i do 1 tea(milk+stevia) + food in roughly 1.5 -2 hours and then start fasting again.

6. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I don't want to sound like a spoilsport, but @AmulB have you ever thought of whether this is a healthy thing to do. There are other ways to lose weight. You shouldn't be starving just to lose weight. I don't want to tell horror stories but IMO this is not the right way. If you still want to do it, it's up to you.

7. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

Hi @sarvantaryamini i did for two weeks and after a week I had some other health issues due to which I had to be on antibiotics and had to add another meal to cope up with medication. Later I tried for another weak adding a small meal with in 4hrs gap 20:4 then eventually turned to 16:8. Right now I’m doing 16:8 intermittent fasting. Please share any info u come across, if it’s bad and what are the side effects. I had some health issues like constipation, got dehydrated and splitting headaches doing OMAD. That’s y I had to switch back later and now with 16:8 I’m doing fine and I am also exercising doing some stretches and cycling.
    Last 10-12pounds post preg weight has become stubborn weight unable to loose. Plz suggest if u have any other remedies.

8. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Since you didn't take it wrong and asked me I am telling you. There is absolutely no need to starve yourself to lose weight. I will tell you why - if it works, it will be a lifelong thing, you cannot ever afford to switch back to more than one meal, once you do, you will get it back with a vengeance, second thing - definitely this approach will have side effects, maybe not immediately but in the long term, you will see hormonal problems, vitamin deficiencies, hair-fall.

Instead I suggest you do this - have an early and filling breakfast( by 8 am latest by 8.30 am ) - don't have cereals, they are filled with sugar, have steel cut oatmeal with fruits and nuts. The fruits and nuts are for providing enough nourishment, fiber and also you cannot eat oatmeal just like that, you need some toppings. Cook the oatmeal with milk or water so that it's mushy enough, has a porridge like consistency. Never skip breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day. You can have anything for lunch and dinner. Just take care not to eat too much rice or chapatis, your vegetables, dal or meat(if you are a meat eater) should be more in proportion to the rice. Follow the same rules for dinner. When you have a heavy breakfast with enough proteins (the nuts provide proteins), you will not feel that hungry for lunch, so you will eat less automatically. Same goes for dinner. You may want to have a small snack around 4-5 pm. If you are non-vegetarian, you could try eggs for breakfast.

You need to cut down on sugar completely - don't eat sweets and desserts. If you are eating them a lot, it means your overall diet is bad and your stress is high.

Another most important thing - getting adequate sleep (general recommendation is 7-8 hours straight). Try not to sleep during day especially after lunch. Many people underestimate the role of sleep, but improper sleep can lead to disorientation during day, make you crave for the wrong food. Do not think about things that are not in your control, shut off all thoughts before sleep. Force yourself to ignore things during sleep time. Lack of sleep can give you very bad sugar cravings.

Definitely get exercise - either a walk, or aerobics or even yoga. Consistency is the key factor. Make it a habit and you cannot ditch exercise once you start it. Remember diet or exercise, you have to make it your lifestyle, not a one time thing. You need to incorporate exercise in some form. Clean the house, do the dishes, do something to keep yourself occupied. Run with your kids, go for hike, do something. Initially it will feel like a chore, but once you get used to it, you will enjoy it.

Someone I know did the same thing as you - she ate one meal everyday and she told me she did not feel hungry at all. The funny thing is her DH was supporting her alongside, talking as though she was getting noble prize, "Oh my wife doesn't feel hungry at all " with a lot of pride. Later she got thyroid issues and they are still there. One doesn't have to torture themselves, all they need to do is follow a consistent and calm routine, basically stop taking **** from their surroundings to their head. Do this and you will definitely lose weight and you will be happier.

AmulB and pumpkin01 like this.
  9. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

@sarvantaryamini good to hear ur input and I completely agree to your meal plan. I was doing that before, eating eggs in the mornings then lunch and dinner but then I wanted to break the cycle as I did follow IF before having kids and lost weight amazingly but after having kids it’s hard to loose the weight. At the same time, ppl have been following Intermittent fasting IF form the ancient times and have showed the benefits of doing it by living for more than 100 yrs. OMAD- I agree it’s intense and not required unless u want to do it for short period to get ur appetite in control and see results faster. I did feel it was a crazy idea. But I feel much better with IF.. like Sadhguru explains in the video. I have been doing this for long time. At least I’m not putting on more weight and loading up too many calories in that 8hr span. I don’t have sugar cravings at all, in a day maybe a spoon of sugar goes in my afternoon coffee. But carbs r the culprit which I need to cut down. I like the diet plan u suggested about what foods to take to watxh weight.
    After Covid started and everyone being home it’s already too much work and getting enough exercise from the chores and also doing some stretches in the evenings with cycling. And like you mentioned consistency is the key.. which I loose it very soon. Have to be determined... and is brown rice good replacement for white rice. I eat carbs and even chapathis r carbs. I don’t know how to change my diet to keep me full.. I can eat eggs and dal for protein but becomes boring to eat daily. Maybe I have to add dry fruits too. I have history of pcos and that could be the cause for stubborn weight. Though I was very skinny before kids but now my body has changed completely. Even a little heavy meal makes my tummy bloated. I didn’t tie my tummy after delivery both times as I couldn’t handle it. Could It be the reason for bloated tummy.
    Pl watch this video and what Sadhguru said is right.. body and brain works at its best when ur tummy is empty.

10. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Totally agree with OP, having healthy diet and regular exercise should be the key. After pregnancy the hormone production goes haywire, so you can not expect your body to perform how it used to before pregnancy.

Our body gets used to the same type of lifestyle be it your diet style or exercise. Getting bloaty could be due to not eating for too long or could be less water or could be too much protein also.

Having carbohydrate is not bad but yes having too much is bad. Always try to have a balanced diet. You can lower the carb amount but you need them to get going especially when you have kids around you. You can certainly replace plain rice with brown rice or with barley or quinoa but don't omit them from your diet. Look for long term, loosing weight too quickly will have impact on your body, high blood pressure, thyroid issue etc.

If you miss your exercise a day or two is fine but then start again.... exercise will burn calorie, it will increase body stamina, help balancing your hormone.

Are you getting enough sunlight ?? morning or evening sun bathing is best. Many studies have proved that those who are not getting enough sunlight, find hard to loose weight. So do include it to your routine if you are not at this point.

AmulB likes this.