Drinking Water In Us

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shravs3, Mar 30, 2020.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

How do you get drinking water? Do you use any filtering system?

In India we have Aquaguard. But here the prices are exorbitant.

We normally get bottled water. But since we are in apartments carrying it is a big headache.

Although tap water is safe to drink at my place, we normally avoid drinking it due to the fear of contamination. I have seen some people using Brita cans. How efficient are they? I heard we need to replace the filters every few months.

I’m looking for some safe alternatives which avoids us going out in these times.

Vaikuntha and Thyagarajan like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

The local water utility will tell you the periodical test results. Some may have a website where you can look at their results for every period.

Brita or other brands will tell in their brochure (online also) what each of their filters do, and for how long. We use a Brita type active carbon filter on the faucet stream. It is required to be replaced about every 4 months, but we do it every quarter. This water is used only for cooking. For drinking (and icecubes) we use bottled water. On the bottle label, there is a contents analysis of what ions the water has. It is such a small print that I have to take a photo of it with my phone, enlarge it to read that darn thing.

Get a Brita type filter for your apartment kitchen faucet, and use it for cooking. The filters are usually designed to have the stream run through or not. Use filtered water for cooking; and unfiltered for washing etc...if you really want to lengthen the filter's life. I'd recommend using filtered for everything. Get bottled water for drinking and icecubes. Hauling bottled water up to a high floor apartment can help demonstrate affections when words fail the introverted among us. Nothing goes to waste, when the receiver acknowledges it.

Vaikuntha and shravs3 like this.
  3. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

We have been drinking tap water in US for many years and use a brita filter. Have had no issues so far. You can buy replacement filters and change as needed. Some of the brita filters have an indicator when you need to change.
    I try to avoid buying bottled water, unless am traveling. Always fill my own bottle of water at home and take it to work and for other short trips.
    Why Tap Water is Better Than Bottled Water

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I use a Brita pitcher and change the filter every 2 months. They are well priced at Costco. I use this water for cooking and drinking. I even use a Brita filter water bottle at work.
    We tried switching to bottled water but its too much of a headache hauling in the jugs and we didn't want to be tied to a delivery service.

Vaikuntha, shravs3 and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

As usual thanks for the detailed explanation @Amulet

Poor DH always struggles carrying it. So seeing that I feel bad :confounded:

6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the response @GoneGirl.
    Before this corona outbreak we used to get the RO water from Kroger or whole foods. But looks like to avoid crowd they have stopped it. So we have no other option except Bottled waters. I feel so guilty for using so many bottles.

And the pleasure to drink the water from the stainless steel bottle is priceless. I’m very much missing it.
    I will try getting the Brita filter soon.

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the response @MalStrom. So looks like the majority of the votes are for Brita.

I dint know about Brita water bottles. I just checked their website. They have really cool colours.

8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Boys are supposed to do a lot more for the girls they are sweet on. Enjoy. These are the times to make memories.

Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.
  9. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

For Brita , we change filter every two months and use it for everything except drinking. Pur is also another good one you can look into . For both during black friday times you can get a year or more worth of filters at very less , there are plenty of deals . Costco is always priced less. And for drinking we had the exact same issue of hauling those bottles to our top floor apartment so we recently shifted back to costco water service . we have them deliver like 8-10 bottles at one go which lasts for 20 days or so. Only now due to corona it took more than 2-3 days of delays otherwise they are prompt , they have both RO and spring water. I somehow feel spring water is more tasty.

Quick question for me:
    I am looking for a big gallon kind of water bottle for my personal use . any ideas anyone please ?
    i looked at amazon , there are quite a few but reviews are not so great , they look nice though.

shravs3 likes this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

@Caughtinbetween Thanks for this tip :blush: Yes even I have heard about Costco water service will check them.