A Humble Request

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SinghManisha, Mar 29, 2020.

1. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

We are all affected by the Covid-19 epidemic in some way or the other. These are troubling times but also a time to be grateful. We are living in the comforts of our homes, have access to basic food, our children are well fed and entertained. But not everyone is as lucky, specially the daily wage workers that have to struggle to make a living even in normal times. Please spare a thought for them and please considering donating to migrant workers in India. Please spread the word around and share the link below to all your family and friends. This is through Grofers and Give India.

Support COVID Hit Families

I am no way connected to these NGO’s, I am going with the assumption that they are legit. If you know otherwise, please let us know. If you know of other NGO’s that are working towards similar causes, please share it here.

I wish everyone safe and healthy times ahead.

Thanks,
    Manisha.

Topaz49, MalStrom and Thyagarajan like this.

2. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

The majority of working class in India (barring long distance migrants) are covered in the Ration card/food security scheme already.

Even for long distance migrants, their family should be covered under this in the home state. The government will provide foodgrains for them (5+5 kg announced) - In TN they get a 1000 rupee per family extra.

India is in a very comfortable position with respect to this: Problem of plenty: As wheat, rice production hits record high, new worry stares in Modi govt’s face

They can offload whatever wheat rice pulses are stored in excess now and later proceed to buy farm produce at MSP.

So it is better to donate directly to the government through the PM-cares fund - it will help the government tide over medical expenses and other financial crunch - as unlike US of A, we don't have the privilege of $ being world's reserve currency so as to print the hell out of any calamity.

Again, this is my 0.02 $ opinion.

[​IMG]

SinghManisha, Topaz49 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I agree with your observations. I am from TN. BUT Delhi migrant workers and those joined them from parts of UP are in open without shelter without food waiting to board the bus to their native place.
    God - why put downtrodden further down in almost all nations.

SinghManisha likes this.
  4. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Working class is like the fair weather friend. They make life convenient for the affluent through cheap labor and home assist but nobody wants them now that road, real estate construction is all stopped; Delhi sending them in DTC buses and Yogi picking them in UP buses. They have advised village heads to keep those arriving in quarantine, so somehow even after all this fiasco, let's hope the lockdown will all work (albeit at a cost)

20 odd crores population in UP - higher than the entire western Europe! Managing them in a third world is difficult.

SinghManisha and Thyagarajan like this.