Can We Use Black Whole Urad Dal For Idli/dosa Batter?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gknew, Mar 28, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Anyone used black whole urad dal for idli/dosa batter?
    I have never used it before. I did an email order pickup from an Indian grocery store.
    They packed black whole urad dal instead of white whole urad dal. I think white dal is not available.
    I don't know if we can use this for idli or dosa batter? Should we peel the skin after soaking? Anyone tried this before?
    And I got roasted channa instead of channa Dalia(pottu kadalai). I am not sure if we can use this for chutney. It's a snack item. They replaced Dalia with this roasted channa.
    Any inputs please.

Attached Files:

2. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Yes you can black whole urad dal for idly, dosa,vada.Tastes the same and is more nutritious.It will differ a bit in looks. The vadas are more fluffy.Roasted channa and split Dalia are the same. You can combine it with coconut to make a chutney.

Thyagarajan and gknew like this.
  3. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

I remember my mom using them decades back. The idlis are fluffier with black urad dal. Only thing is you will see the color of the idli dull and black spots here and there. But very nutritious and healthy

Thyagarajan, Sunshine04 and gknew like this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you!!
    I thought I have to peel the skin after soaking. If it tastes same, then it's fine. Colour difference in idli or dosa is fine for me.
    Soaking time is same as white whole dal?

5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you!!
    Yeah. My mom also do that decades back. But she use split black urad and peel the skin after soaking. It will be a bigger process and I used to do that during my childhood. We never used the whole black urad.

6. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

After overnight soaking, you need to rub little bit and wash it off, all husk will come out. very little will be left out.

Amulet and gknew like this.
  7. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I soak them overnight.

8. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Don't remove the skin after soaking. This skin is very healthy, much better than the white one which is the polished one . Just that your idli dosa will look brownish which is okay.

We have a festival after Diwali where this is particularly used in adai dosa (kind of lentils n spicy dosa). During that when we purchase more of this we use it for idli n dosa batter. Tastes good and fluffy..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Thyagarajan, startinganew and gknew like this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

There are youtube videos that show how this skin is removed. In one video, the girl uses 80℃ hot-water, and soaks the whole urad in the water for one hour. In that hour, the water cools off, and the skin softens, turns a bit green as well, and comes off when rubbed between the palms.

Usually a cow/water-b gets to eat that with the wash water. In countries where we cannot buy and park one in a garage, we can use that as a fertilizer for house plants. The skin can also be dried in air, then powdered in a kitchen grinder, and added to roti or bread dough. It adds both nutrition, as well as make the roti/bread take on a "rustic" aspect.

10. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Yes you can, the dosa and idli isn’t the most pretty looking but it’s fine. Do you know the whole black udad dal is used along with Rajma to make Dal Makhni in Punjab ? It’s delicious and easy, give it a try.

Thyagarajan, Anusha2917 and gknew like this.