1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

(Novalis is sent for apprenticeship at Shikandi's school of life)

Novalis: Tell me, what are my tasks.

Shikandi: First you must learn the art of shaap?

Novalis: What is that sharp? Do I need a pencil sharpener?

Shikandi: No idiot, shaap as in curse. You must learn to utter a shaap of vengeance at a man with such ferocity that clouds burst and winds howl ...

Novalis: Excuse me, would the man sustain such a shaa-aa--ap! What if he faints from such loud explosions.

Shikandi: Idiot, you must utter the shaap in such a booming voice like mad wind, 'you kuruputra of Hastinapur, you Devavrat, you Bhishma'

Novalis: Hold on, taking notes. How many men are issued that shaap?

Shikandi: Just one.

Novalis: But you said two names, some deva and some bh..

Shikandi: The latter-day Bhishma, the 'one who undertakes a terrible vow and fulfils it' was formerly known as Devavrat. Same man.

Novalis: Bhishma takes a vrat and becomes Devavrat?!

Shikandi: You moron! Devavrat takes the oath and becomes Bhishma.

Novalis: Then why 'vrat' in Devavrat if he has not yet taken any oath. Confusing! Is this man crazy about oaths like you are about sha--a--aaaps. Born with a vrat and assumed another vrat. Seriously, you people need to get a life, stop acting these vrats and shaaps with sound and light effect. I would rather write up a Facebook post titled "A Funny thing happened on the way to Hastinapur, I was mistakenly abducted" and leave it at there not reincarnating that wrath on a vrat man.

Shikandi: Get out! Get out of my institute!!

(Novalis packs her things leaving behind a pencil shaaapener)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Novalis
    I only looked at it but heard it too!
    So do I! How can I be different! I must mention about the modern version of epics like Mahabharata remade in the modern context. Take for instance Peter Brook's version of Mahabharata It is a fabulous version.
    The veteran film maker Mani Rathnam made a movie in Tamil titled Thalapathi based on Mahabharata. Rajnikath donned the equivalent role of Karna!

3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Today morning, I woke up to the hum of the bare necessities:

.. inspecting my pantry for those necessities to whisk an overripe banana into a pancake. That search reminded me of the Courtship Of The Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo, poem by Edward Lear.

On the Coast of Coromandel
    Where the early pumpkins blow,
    In the middle of the woods
    Lived the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo
    Two old chairs, and half a candle,
    One old jug without a handle,
    These were all his worldly goods.​

Being a minimalist, my worldly goods would fit into a barrel bag. A cooking pot, a wooden spoon, wheat dabba, honey to subsist on boiled halwa. Bonghy-Bo lived on the Coromandel coast with creaky chairs and half a candle, a jug and a separated handle.

If I lived as his neighbour then we would have eked out a dinner with unburnt candle, boiled halwa, sipping from that wobbly jug. Bonghy can use that separated handle as his spoon to dig into my halwa.

4. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Where was I?! Definitely a cave on Mars.
    Missed out on that fabulous adaptation. Never knew about it. Sounds interesting from the play-in-jumps of the uploaded video.

O Cheeniya! There are times like this when that accrued dignity of mine is risked by revealing my other side. That movie is known to me for a likeable song. You might eagerly presume it as that refined Shobana's song. On the contrary, I enjoy the market song.

Sonu Walia as the village belle didn't stick out sorely, in fact, she held the song to her charm and nimble moves. I like the song for its atmospheric effect: twilight, bonfire, canopies. And that snap of the finger! Nicely done song. Not too acrobatic in dance or soppy in lyrics but a tug of tease in that lock-stepped duet.

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Episode - 2 - Meeting between @Novalis and Shikandi in Kali Yuga

Novalis: How are you?

Shikhar: I am doing fine and you?

Novalis: What is the significance of your name?

Shikhar: Literally means "peak of the mountain" and what is the significance of your name?

Novalis: It means, "One who clears new ground. Do you remember your prior lives?

Shikhar: Yes, I do. I was Shikandi who finally managed to kill Bhisma after making a second life and helped Yudhistra establish righteousness in the world. I lived mostly as a woman but for a day in Dwapara Yuga. I really like the meaning of your name.

Novalis: Why special liking for my name?

Shikhar: Because I like to clear every ground myself when I play cricket in all parts of the world.

Novalis: Now that you had finished your mission, what are you focused on in this present life?

Shikhar: In my present life, my mission is somewhat diluted and I wish to punish every bowler in front of me when I play my favorite sports. That is it. What are your favorite habits?

Novalis: Reading a lot of books, traveling to all parts of the world, contemplate about spirituality in real life, venture into new recipes and remain extraordinarily happy.

Shikhar: Sounds like an excellent plan. What makes you happy always?

Novalis: Happiness is the state of mind and I don't look for reasons to be happy. When do you feel happy?

Shikhar: Only when 85,000 people stand up and clap when I score a century in Eden Garden, Calcutta.

Novalis: I hope we can meet whenever we get a chance. Nice meeting you.

Shikhar: Nice meeting you too. Bye for now.

6. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

My goodness! You have been generous in my depiction. I read so few books that too with carefree endings, blithe exploration, frivolous observations, only those authors grab my attention. If the writing gets anywhere as solemn as '... and she stared into the open sky', I put down the book. I travel only to explore food as that indulgence is integral. What?! No monkey dance?! Pump the music loud and dance like a rhesus macaque on steroids. That's the salient me.

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Today, someone guided me: 'that's a pronominal adverb'. Eh, what? what's that monstrous adverb?

"A pronominal adverb is a type of adverb occurring in a number of Germanic languages, formed in replacement of a preposition and a pronoun by turning the latter into a locative adverb and the former into a prepositional adverb and joining them in reverse order. For example: For that → therefor; In that → therein; By this → hereby; To this → hereto; In which → wherein" --dictionary.

I almost felt like that Monsieur Jourdain in Moliere's play delighted for having learnt that I was blithely speaking without knowing the parts of speech. First a preposition and pronoun are mercilessly fused leaving no ordered trace of either of them in the morphed word.

"In which" is sensed in "wherein", but where is my pronoun in it, evolved into an adverb.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  8. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Good or bad, I abide my consciousness, my inner voice. I believe the inner voice is of Him. So good or bad all belong to Him.

coming to quid pro quo,
    Recently my husband had to undergo open heart surgery. Very unexpected. On same day, my father (84) who was being treated for ILD (Interstitial Lung Disease) and my husband(55) who experienced symptoms of heart attack, both teetotalers got admitted at the same hospital same room on twin sharing basis. My father passed away, in two days of his discharge, though we all aware he was in his last leg didn't expect it to happen in few days, while DH was still there in hospital awaiting surgery. I had to come out of the hospital to attend to my dad's cremation arrangements, pacifying my mother, while my brothers were on their way from US. I could not go back to hospital due to covid situation and had to substitute my brother-in-law who landed here at right time, without knowing all these situations (It's all God's plan because of my good Karma). only after three days of surgery I could again join DH, after i tested negative for covid, while he was shifted to ward from ICU. From the time of surgery to shifting to ward he was taken care of only by Doctors and support staff. It was such time I was full of prayers and literally begging Gods to do and give what is good for us. I am blessed, to bring back my husband home, with insisted change in lifestyle and now he is more healthier than before with all regimes of walking and medicines.

Now apart from prayers to kuladeivams that we go there, offer dothi and saree for God and Goddess, hundi offerings etc. I felt it is all materialistic and I should do something involving my heart and soul. So I decided to not to eat onions anymore. Already I have seen my father-in-law who didn't eat onions in his lifetime, because he didn't like it. For me it is not the case for any special dishes like pulav, side dishes for chapathis I used onions though i am used to cook no onion food for my father-in-law on regular basis.
    Right from the day my DH discharged i am not eating onions, if at all i do something with onions, i settle with curd and pickle as my side dishes. Actually it was the other way of quid pro quo, since God blessed my DH with good health, to thank him i left eating onions (though I am pretty sure, me not eating onion do not do any good for God) .

But this served me another goodness, now I am not able to order any unhealthy junk foods like pizza or burger or roti side dishes which are my favorites once in a while. Now my determination is multifold to avoid all these (I am a foodie to try new dishes anything vegetarian- It's a challenge to try these any more as it has become difficult to check if it contains onions), if at all we order, my order is always the healthy idli or dosa with white chutney just to make sure that my children don' t feel that i am left out. Otherwise I am happy eating curd rice. This has in turn improved my determination, taken me more towards God. It has made me more healthy. Since i left onions as a quid pro quo, God has made my life more healthier from his side . Because of me and what he underwent, my DH is also out of all the unhealthy snacking habits.

Manjukps

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Viswamitra and indubalram like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Congrats for changing your avatar. Forgive my curiosity- what has impelled you to change over from nocturnal image to diurnal real fig.
    Probably need of the hour that the world must know what or who behind all this quid pro quo!
    Or is it can spring be far behind..?
    Either way it should sugur or and augur well for the large (hearted) community here.
    On the special occasion of your new avatar begun today, may I , on behalf of IL folks active & dormant ones seek your aashirwadh?
    Regards.
    God Bless us all.

messedup likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Thyagu
    It's me as on date. It's my granddaughter's command that my Avatar must be changed from the owl. She says I look better than the owl:blush: