What Does An Empowered Woman Look To You?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BhumiBabe, Mar 12, 2020.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

As a society, we are constantly assuring everyone else of our feminism, while counteracting it with cultural upbringing and family traditions. It’s entirely confusing to envision the type of women we should aspire to be. Surely, the gold standard is not Supermom+domestic goddess? and if it was, isn’t it impossible to live a happy life, if we are so busy pleasing others.

So this question is to understand what each member considers an empowered woman. Maybe if we can identify our goal, we can change our lives to move to the bigger picture.

sindmani, kkrish, shravs3 and 2 others like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

An empowered girl would start with the training and knowledge to understand her own transactional bargaining position in all relationships -- in employment as well as in personal relationships.

There isn't any goal(s) to identify. Bigger picture? Perhaps you mean, "Life"?

A life is to experience whatever is feasible at the best benefits to cost ratio. All of the accrued net-benefits will increase your personal existential equity. This higher value of your equity will be reflected in the transactional power you would feel (& wield) , as you go along your life's trajectory.

After having done that, you will expire, hopefully without a long phase of being an invalid. And if you were to become an invalid, the accumulated goodwill with your children and other relatives will come to your aid, and help out.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  3. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

For me an empowered woman is someone who is independent and does not need to depend on anyone for anything

she is her own support system and her own cheerleader

any support she receives from others will only enhance her already bright light.

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Living life on her own terms,being who she wants to really be and not being swayed by the society’s notions of what a woman should be like is Empowerment.

5. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

The bigger picture, life goals- are different for each woman. For women, our goals and happiness is multifaceted, just like the roles we have to live.
    E.G. one might be sad of our paternal grandmother's demise but still be happy that our kid got into top-notch middle school. We experience, a lot during a day and a lot, during a lifetime. We usually, are part two different emotions due to part of 'being in' two different groups.

Each woman is differently invested in her FOO, her family, and ILs, her community, her children, her friends, herself! The things that bring her happiness is different too. For some, it is the new dress, for some a home cooked meal for her family, for some it is to negotiate for a higher salary and get it. It can be combination of many of these. If there are 2 billion women on earth, their goals and values and happiness etc, also uniquely, 2 billion.

I used to think that all women want to work, when they grow up. And that all ILs stop their DIL from working and that all husbands support their wife in working outside home. After meeting, many women- till my graduate studies, I came across many brilliant graduate enrolled women- who wanted to stay at home and take of husband and family. It took a paradigm shift for me to understand their motivations and aspirations. I very openly wanted to work, have a career. But faces opposition to this from my ILs and husband. I tried to explain to them by logic, by various way- it didn't work. At the same time, one of my graduate school friend is pushed to work, by her ILs. Before knowing her marriage, I had thought all ILs stop their DIL from working.
    Recently, one aunt is trying to find a working bahu. I am like what?

So the key to happiness is (IMO):
    1. To understand oneself
    2. To understand one's deep rooted values, aspirations
    3. Try to find a group of people who will support these values/ aspirations
    4. To navigate in the sea of people we see everyday, we have to have amazing negotiation skills. We need to get the people to see our point and support us. This is where the training/ self learning, comes. Even for the parent to send their daughter to Eng college, there is some negotiation from daughter's side.
    5. While doing all the amazing things in life, one should keep their 'near and dear ones'- near and dear! There is no happiness without it being shared with our near and dear ones.
    6. Near and dear, can be FOO, ILs, friends, coworkers- definitions lies with the woman concerned.
    7. Till we die, one should have a have short term purpose and long term purpose.
    8. Have faith
    9. Work your limbs- out is sunshine- the biggest giver of happiness
    10. Let the small stuff slide
    11. Keep the eye on prize

Amica, sindmani, Anusha2917 and 5 others like this.
  6. Vaikuntha

Only @Amulet could have articulated this.

I feel the same way.

nuss likes this.
  7. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Someone that is very sure of herself, not swayed by others opinions, knows what she wants, can take care of herself .

Amica, sindmani, kkrish and 5 others like this.
  8. Vaikuntha

I feel, that we cannot live alone. We cannot takecare of all our needs (life long and various) by ourselves, so it imperative that we know how to persuade other to help us in helping ourselves.

sindmani, nuss, Amulet and 4 others like this.
  9. MissH

MissH Bronze IL'ite

A woman who lives/leads life the way she wants with utmost satisfaction and very few regrets. I am saying very few because I am not sure if one (whether a woman or a man) will be able to live with absolutely no regrets.

Anusha2917, nuss, kkrish and 5 others like this.
  10. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

One who overcomes hurdles with pinch of salt as she can see that ‘ the phase is not permanent ’, ‘ look at the big picture’.

One who can understand what success is, in small or big situations.