1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Namaste India

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Mar 6, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Namaste INDIA

In 2017 Donald Trump refused to shake a hand with a German politician. Take the case of German Chancellor Angela Merkel. She was recently snubbed by the Interior Minister of Germany Horst Seehofer after she extended her hand to exchange a warm greeting. He refused, politely. Was it coronavirus fear!.These incidents set me thinking as to how our ancestors had insulated us from infections by teaching us to say Namaste.My curiosity led to the following information.

In the contemporary era, Namaḥ means 'bow', 'obeisance', 'reverential salutation' or 'adoration' and te means 'to you'. Therefore, Namaste literally means "bowing to you". In Hinduism, it also has a spiritual import reflecting the belief that "the divine and self (atman, soul) is same in you and me", and connotes "I bow to the divine in you". According to sociologist Holly Oxhandler, it is a Hindu term which means, “the sacred in me recognizes the sacred in you”.

Anti-handshake movement is spreading fast. The Institute of Biological, Environmental, and Rural Sciences, Research has shown has shown how greetings like the high five and fist bump, instead of the traditional handshake, can dramatically reduce the transmission of infectious diseases. Paediatrics at the neonatal intensive care units of University of California, Los Angeles, have come up with “Handshake-Free Zones,” to help reduce the spread of germs. AIIMS started a Namaste campaign, with doctors and nurses joining hands in a namaste to greet everyone and reduce the risk of infection.
    So, how do you greet someone in these times of corona, especially when refusing someone a handshake is sure to give the wrong impression? Simple. A namaste. Join your hands, flash a smile, bow down a bit and say, "Namaste." And you are safe from contracting the coronavirus.
    There are five reasons why you should go back to the Namaste instead of those hugs and kisses in these times.

No physical contact
    First and foremost, a namaste does not involve any physical contact with the other person. You won't even appear rude
    If you refuse someone a hug or a handshake, you are surely going be perceived as a rude person. But why worry? Namaste hai na!
    Best way to greet seniorsA lot of us in India are raised with the habit of greeting elders with a Namaste which signifies paying respect..
    Most hygienic form of greeting
    Since Namaste does not involve touching the other person, it is considered the most hygienic form of greeting. There is no potential risk of causing transfer of germs or getting infected. And lastly, you can also flaunt your desi-cool with namaste. Let us just admit that being desi is the new cool. If you swap the regular handshakes with a namaste, you are surely going to be the hot topic of discussion - be it in office, school or college.
    Apart from hugs,high five,fist bump etc different countries follow different ways.Let us see some of them.
    Namaste is used as a sign of respect and a greeting in Laos,Cambodia,Srilanka,Thailand and Indonesia.
    It is also used among East Asian Buddhists, It expresses politeness, courtesy, honour, and hospitality from one person to the other. It is used in goodbyes as well.
    Botswana handshake! To perform this, you have to follow 3 steps: extend your right arm, place your left hand on your right elbow, and press hands together; Interlock your hand with the other person’s, interlacing thumbs; and then return to the original position and say “Lae kae?” which means “How are you?” in Setswana.
    Malays usually stretch out their hands and touch the other person’s fingertips and then bring their hands to their hearts. It symbolizes that they’re greeting you from their hearts.
    The traditional Māori greeting, known as hongi, is similar to the oman greeting except they also press their foreheads together and look at each others eye[NEWZEALAND]
    In Oman, men often greet each other by pressing their noses together. People greet each other with a bow in Japan. Depending on the person they are greeting, and their social status, bows differ in angle and duration. Fighting battle of the bulge it is difficult for us to follow this.
    Tibetan monks stick their tongue out to greet people. They also press the hands together and place them in front of their chest to show that they “come in peace”. They started doing this to prove that they’re not the reincarnation of a cruel king from the 9th century who had a black tongue.
    In Rwanda the other person closes his fist, turns it downward and offers his wrist. This is if a person has dirty hands, he presents his wrist instead. And if both people have dirty hands, they will touch wrists together.

In Thailand a bit like “Namaste” in yoga and Sanskrit, the Thai “Wai” is a traditional greeting that involves pressing the palms of the hands together and then bowing the head forward. “Greeting each other with a wai is a sign of respect. In my opinion this is the most graceful way of greeting.

Hugs and kisses on the cheek are a BIG NO

SAY NAMASTE TO OUR FOREFATHERS FOR HAVING FORESEEN LIFE THREATENING CONTIGENCIES AND TAUGHT US NAMASTE ,THE SAFEST WAY OF GREETING OTHERS.

Inputs from Wikipedia,you tube,news paper reports and magazine coverage.Most of the text is copied from these sources.

Thyagarajan and Balajee like this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Kudos to your timely post with researchers notes of greetings the world over.
    2. I enjoyed reading about the greetings others by gentle or tight hug or a kiss or a shake entails these days huge risk. It was going on nicely for many the world around while in India many began aping this Englishman or British style.
    Also talk about namasthe philosophy.

3. With ever threatening news Of COVIND-19 and more of it catching the headlines and media attention, champions of Hinduism began telling how ancestors of India devised traditions with out telling about virus and its potency in endangering the lives of human and animals too!
    With NAMASTEY.

4. Once At dusk, I happen to see my friend at a distance and he too seen me at the same time. In between us on the pedestrian walk there were few hawkers and some men walking in opposite direction. My friend in a gesture of greeting me, raised both his hands over his head keeping palms together, I too reciprocated in the same manner. But then I noticed my two of physics professors lifted and waved their hands at me. I therefore little nervously lifted my hands bringing palms together greeting them. What followed was hilarious.
    5. Another interesting thing that comes to mind is Saree clad Air hostesses of Air India & Indian Airlines. Passengers entering aircraft are greeted to only my “Namasthe” from a distance with their hands and palms held in correct posture.
    6. I had been to market. The vegetable vendor refused to accept old notes from a lady. Reason she said “ corona virus can spread thru coins and currency notes in circulation”. A man drawing cash refused to receive from teller notes old and soiled for similar reason. This reminds me passages of @Rihana ’s prize winning post laundering money in Jan ‘20.

VT.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  3. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

If all Indians in USA starts using "Namaste", then it will be adopted like Yoga. That would be good not just for COVID-19, it is also applicable to any types of virus/bacteria.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

thank you. Between my posting and your response, I had edited my post with more points.

2. I agree that to quell corona fever, namasthe habit might catch world wide.

Regards.

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Are you saying NAMASTE TRUMP means we are bowing before Trump or as he is the president of US of A before that country? Is that a foreign policy statement. Unless the other party returns your namaste it mean you are subservient to him/her. Trump didn't return the namaste maybe because he had already said 'howdy' at Houston. Texas. Of course the Russian and Inuit form of greetings are the most dangerous in times of coronavirus. Russians when they meet kiss each other, regardless of gender, not that they are all gay. I don't know whether Modi got kissed by Putin. Inuits make nose to nose contact ,rubbing each other's breathing apparatus which also happens to be the entry point for the virus. It is said that the virus does not spread if people keep a distance of five feet from each other. Obviously coronavirus is no long jump champion.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

I always wished that "Namasthe" would
    become a way of greeting throughout the world. I am of the opinion we should adopt good things from whichever culture/country.

BTW, I requested a discussion on this topic of "Namasthe" in the AARP magazine. They seemed very receptive. Perhaps, healthcare organization like CDC is a better platform. Media/TV is the best platform.

Each of us can be a agent of change by using the "Namasthe" emoji in all our soical media, especially to non-Indians. This raises the awareness in the society. I have used the namasthe emoji and to my surprise, the response from non-Indians with Namasthe emoji.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thanks. Idea welcome.
    2. The IL HAS NOT INCLUDED NAMANTHE EMOJI IN THE EMOJIS LISTED that appear when we click the smiley therein.
    The one available I pad when copied it appears in the response zone but after posting it disappears.
    @Jey might perhapz like to appreciate the idea to include namasthe emoji to Reflect Indian culture.

8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

There is no need to bow as a sign of servitude as we have our own strength and being courted by the high and mighty for access to our insatiable market.I will quote what poet Bharathi said in some other connection;
    NIMIRNTHA NANNADAI NER KONDA -PARVAIYUM
    NILATHIL YAARKUM ANJADHA NERIGALUM
    THIMIRNDHA GNANA CHERUKUM IRUPADHAL
    our Namaste will be straight but humble.
    I enjoyed your comments particularly that corona virus is not Anju Bobby George.
    Regards.SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

• Globalisation does not mean that we surrender our identity backed by good and healthy practices passed on to us for generations.In the recent call by PM Modi for ladies to handle his social media accounts,one lady has suggested that this is the right time for women to replace shaking hands and hugging by Namaste.
    • SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.