Software For Budget

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mangaii, Feb 29, 2020.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@kkrish I saw your response and then started researching so didn't get chance to reply.
    Sorry about that. I'm continuing my learning in investing .
    Actually I found some no penalty cd plans which seems to be good place to start.

kkrish likes this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Ok. No need for apologies at all. I seem to be the confused person.
    That's great you are learning about investing. All women should know about investing. Wishing you great success which I am sure you will be.

3. mangaii

@kkrish thanks yes this time I want to learn and do things right way. I'm actually 40+ so better late than never

kkrish likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@mangaii
    Yesterday Fed slashed down the interest rates thanks to covid19.
    You will see that the APY on many CDs have gone down.
    Yet, it is a good idea to earn whatever interest we can.

mangaii likes this.
  5. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Why don't you try a meal plan for a week? I use a simple excel spread sheet. Account for when you want to eat out, what kids will take for lunch and weekly lunch boxes and dinners. I plan and then add 1 or 2 things extra as a back up. So if that is left over at the end of the week, I will start the meal plan for next week with the left over stuff. It gets easier when you get the hang of it. I pick up my groceries on friday evening after work. So I save 2 hrs of shopping time on weekends. Here is a sample sheet I use for planning.

upload_2020-3-4_8-5-52.png

We eat out very rarely, because I am a cooking freak. One down side to the meal planning is that, If I am sick on before I plan this we wont have much stuff leftover in fridge. But then we can always eat out.

Anusha2917 and mangaii like this.
  6. mangaii

@kkrish thanks for the info .

7. mangaii

Unfortunately with a teenager who is foodie it is so hard to come up with meal plan . She becomes crazy if she doesn’t get what she wants . On days I work late it is not possible for me to plan and make food for next day . I’m fine with that expense since i also get bored eating my own food seven days a week . Once my older one leaves for college things might be easier . It is so hard to plan anything around her .

kkrish and Angela123 like this.
  8. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Thanks to OP for starting this thread,

I have been tracking our Monthly expenses for the past 10months and learned very important lesson of life!!! I use CC as my debit card, i shop with my CC which give me perks like cash back, but make the payment right after the balance hits, this way, I wont keep any outstanding balance on the card and gets the cash back. Once the cash back reached 100$, i check that out and deposit in our vacation fund.

I budget (mostly me at our home because I am saver and DH is spender) every category 10 days before the month starts in a excel sheet and automate track them in Mint/Personal Capital which gives me bigger picture with historical data comparing past 6 months!! I do maintain Sinking funds for upcoming expenses like summer camps, back-to-school shopping, family celebrations, car maintenance, Vacation categories which I deposit certain amount on each pay period (automated). Currently building emergency fund and 1 month ahead of expenses also contributing to retirement savings.

The past 10months i can see major change in myself, that I dont impulse shop on Macys/Amazon/Wayfair/Overstock, but just budget them and buy intentionally which actually making me guilt free!!!
    Edit- You can try cash back on online shopping as well with Ebates on site/Fetch Rewards(app)!!

9. mangaii

@sravanitenali While finishing registration for mint the site mentioned the details will be shared with third party. Did you have any concerns about that statement ?

10. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

I never had that any such issues for the past 10months @mangaii

mangaii likes this.