1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Suggest A Good Olive Oil To Have As Dip For Bread

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by deepthivinayak1, Feb 27, 2020.

1. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

I have tasted bread with olive oil in few restaurants. I love to try in home. Also which French bread should I buy? Which olive oil should I buy? Small bottle is enough.

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I recently bought Kirkland EVOO. Heard that it’s one of the must buys at Costco.

deepthivinayak1 likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Trader Joe’s has very nice EVOO. You can add some dried herbs like rosemary , crushed red pepper and thyme to make it even more flavorful. They also have a garlic-flavored olive oil that’s great. I buy small bottles so the oil stays fresh.
    As for bread, any freshly baked baguette will be good. I like to swirl some balsamic vinegar with EVOO in a shallow bowl and offer that for dipping.

deepthivinayak1 and Amulet like this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Google the following phrases, and you can find a lot of different ways to buy, as well as varieties of olive oils:
    • olive oil store in America
    • infused olive oil amazon.com
    However if you want to infuse your own special serving.... you'd put oil, and the flavoring ingredients together in a wide mouth bottle (small canning jar is an excellent choice for this), put the cover on, wrap it in a black cloth, and put it on a sunny window sill. For a week or so. Passive solar heating would draw out the flavors (and even colours) into the oil. If you happen to live in really grey, cloudy weather (UK!), then you'd heat the oil to about 60C (same bottle, use microwave oven), dunk all the flavoring ingredients in it, put the bottle cover on loose, and set it in a dark corner of the kitchen. The oil will acquire the flavors over a couple of days. You can make unique things like curry-patta-asafoetida-olive oil for dipping a slice of baguette [ This is actually a specialty of the Pondicherry French, and you'd find it in restaurants in Paris, near the Gare du Nord, where the migrants serve Idly-dosa, as well as baguette slices with dipping oil].

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    deepthivinayak1 and shravs3 like this.