1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Your “style” Statement ?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by anika987, Feb 9, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Just a fun thread:)

I can say my style is pretty understated,elegant and simple.I feel best that way and very comfortable.

Things I like :
    ———————
    1) simple makeup and I just own three lipsticks max.Nighttime or parties a little extra.

2) Like well fitted clothes but not tight.

3) love perfumes.feels every woman need to have their signature scent.

4) Pays extra attention to sandals I wear.

Things I do not like:
    ——————————-
    1) Over the top dressing and makeup.I have been to occasions where I have seen women dressed like a bride with chunky necklaces,udiyaanam and all the works.Nothing wrong,it does look good but felt tired looking at them and the time they would have taken to dressing up

2) too much designs in clothes.

3) Acrylic nails.

4) walking like a designer brand from head to toe.

5) foundation and heavy lipstick.

What are your likes and dislikes when it comes to fashion and style?

2. RetireFI

RetireFI Senior IL'ite

Is this the only thread @anika987 started that didn’t go viral in few mins :beer-toast1:?

My signature style is shawls. I match them with Indian Kurti, US ladies blouses, even winter coats and jackets. It makes even bland dresses with black colors stand out. Frequently complimented are pashmina wraps of various colors.

KashmirFlower, Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Nice to know your style and sounds good.

What is the style you dislike?:)

4. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

I like hoop earrings. all sizes
    I have a spicy, musky spray- that is my signature one- it is winter kind though
    Silk scarfs, love it, but again only use it in winter

don't like acrylic nails

anika987 likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

True the acrylic nails don’t look that great nor is it comfortable to wear!it is such a hindarance:)

6. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

Yeah saw ladies being decked up so much w jewelry and designer wears. Feels like out of place to stand out simple on the other end.
    I observed depending on crowd how they’re dressed, they make calls to other ladies to decide what to wear and join the party little late. I saw few women coming and joining a party little late we’ll decked, while spouse takes kids in other car joins little early. So much coordination in couples to make a perfect presence.
    I felt pressure of keeping up to date w fashion, depends on which Indian community you’re staying. Now we moved to a location where not much desis and less competition and I don’t really care how simple dressed I am.
    But my style,
    - I like wearing big jhumkas/ earrings
    - winged eyeliner and kajol both sometimes
    - hair straightened not messy if time permits
    - and a long wear lipstick.
    I believe being in good shape, even wearing a normal cotton fitted kurti w nice pair of earrings and tight leggings, and ur hair well done, will make you presentable without having to do so much w fashion.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    yellowmango, Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.
  7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I’m what North Indians call “Behenji”...
    Mostly dressed in Kurti leggings, salwar suit, ethnic wear..or jeans with long tops or causal tops..I’m not slim enough for t shirts...
    Sarees for occasions
    I tie my hair in simple hairstyles ..
    Love to wear matching earrings and accessories and love bangles..
    For functions I like co ordinating saree with matching accessories, but simple and elegant ones, no thick chokers or oversized jhumkas..
    Simple makeup, compact, lip balm or lip gloss, Kajal occasionally...love Perfumes, deodorants, handmade soaps , body washes, herbal shampoos, no foundation or any other cosmetics as my skin is sensitive.
    Prefer footwear as elegant but sturdy flats, without heels which look good and comfortable for daily use too..
    I don’t go overboard with beauty treatments , like facials or hair styling in salons....mainly freaked out by chemical agents used in parlours...but like to get basic stuff like simple pedicures, hair cuts and eyebrows now and then.
    Would love to have long and well shaped nails painted with nail polish but unable to maintain so cut short..
    Used to have long hair but get it cut often to shoulder length so easy to maintain..
    Wish I could be a little “glamorous” , but would have to lose 10 kg weight and spend lot of time ,effort and money for self grooming and shopping ....hehe..

Things I don’t like:
    Many of my cousins wear extremely revealing outfits, i,e low cut dresses exposing most of the cleavage, tight fitting and extremely short dresses exposing most of their thigh area ..for family gatherings with elders...I don’t care what they wear when they’re abroad, or in the privacy of their own home, or with their own spouses or out with friends or parties.but need to dress sensibly when meeting with elderly grandparents and relatives in 60s , 70s and 80s...I feel bad when I see elders cringing and hiding their obvious discomfort unable to say anything...anything wrong in wearing a simple jeans with t shirt, or a shirt or simple ethnic wear? Does being fashionable mean exposing all body parts?
    I get irritated when ladies want to flaunt designer labels in an arrogant and show-of family kind of way..I mean, it’s a style statement, buy it if you like it, and if the outfit or handbag isn’t good... and of course affordable...but that doesn’t mean non branded ones are useless...
    Yeah designer from head to toe and extremely heavy multiple layer makeup puts me off, too, along with fake accents..
    I’m a very down to earth kind of person..
    Otherwise I really don’t care much about fashion, I try to follow trends to some extent but end up buying and wearing what I like and what fits me and suits me well...

Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Loved reading what you wrote..

Jhumkas,winged eyeliner and a bindi will be beautiful!!

True neat hair,fitted clothes and earings finish a good look

AmulB likes this.
  9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

For me you sound very well groomed:)
    You do take care of yourself and enjoy it..love that.

Weight has nothing to do with glamour and Leave tee shirts,there are pretty tops which can be worn on jeans..

As you said,I love jeans and kurtis but in India nowadays I find it too hot
    To wear jeans honestly..Our country we can wear dresses,skirts,palazzos they are more comfortable and appropriate than a jean.

I too feel just coz a stuff is branded,does not mean it is beautiful.I like brands but I don’t think every branded bag looks classy or pretty.It is a marketing strategy..mind wiring to think brands mean rich and classy.Though branded stuff has a better quality.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Once I took a personal style quiz and it said my style was "Whimsical and Chic". I would say my style is classic with a touch of playfulness.

Likes: Classics with a touch of originality- A pinstripe dress instead of a suit. Thigh-high boots with skinny jeans and a button-down shirt. A fit and flare dress with a contrasting belt and shoes.

My go-to outfits are- a button-down shirt and ankle pants, jeans with a blouse (tees are only for a weekend), sheath/shirt/fit and flare dress (usually paired with a scarf), pencil or A-line skirt with either a blouse or a button-down shirt. Dresses and skirts- knee-length or a tad shorter than the knee length.

Accessories: belts, scarves (I love Pashminas in winter as well), earrings (all kinds from big statement earrings to simple studs). Ankle boots or flats (no sandals unless on the beach). A simple black or brown handbag...occassionally a fun colorful tote/handbag.

Makeup: Sunscreen, Kajal, and lipstick.

Dislike: I don't buy what I don't like. If I have to pick one thing- blindly following trends- cold shoulder anything- I just don't understand cold shoulder, I love off shoulder though.

Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.