1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Prenup Agreement Before Wedding

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mohini16, Feb 23, 2020.

1. mohini16

mohini16 Silver IL'ite

My Dear lovely ladies, thanks all for your concern,
    I would like to mention as all of you are asking why would I go on H4.
    I am Canadian citizen and my baby is also Canadian,
    I had told the guy in very first conversation that I will not move to US if I have to stay on H4 status as I have my own consulting business here and I'm not going to leave it, I told him I will move if I open some other business there,
    this doctor holds license to practice in Canada too so he is ok to move here,
    I'm very much clear about not giving up on my career so this question is out of picture from beginning.

My only concern with this person is how father can give up on his own child just because he wanted to get rid of that ex or don't want to pay money God knows the real reason
    Anyways I guess I will give it benefit of doubt and will meet him and dig deeper.. If I feel he can't be good father then I will close this chapter without wasting any time, and somehow i feel he is selfish person,
    First leaving child then thinking about money and asking for prenup.
    Will see...

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Did you get divorce from your ex ?

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

What is your litmus test for a good father ?
    Self-preservation is a doctor's business, isn't it ?

Sunshine04 and mohini16 like this.
  4. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

On the name of trust... people are betraying. Sometimes the other spouse is left with nothing except the kid to rear ... afterall the trust she/he puts in.

There is nothing wrong in wanting to have some security for the trust you put in. Pre-nups take away the stress of financial what-ifs. Wether indian mother in laws will allow it is a diff thread.

This guy has given up his child... thats a red flag that he is rubbing on your face.

5. mohini16

mohini16 Silver IL'ite

HI @mangaii
    This is another issue that I need to look, I am not sure if you remember my previous thread I got married to fraud /liar in India and had to run back to Canada pregnant, delivered child here.
    That marriage was never registered in India amd Canada both so on paper here in Canada I'm single mom,
    Have to see what to do about that hindu marriage in India..
    This time will goto india and file for mutual divorce and full custody, that fraud is still after me to not to divorce and claiming on baby which he asked to abort many times.

I don't know if I can file for divorce In India by sitting here only or I have to go in person.
    That fraud ex can sue me for running away with baby which is not the case but he could goto any level as his plan of trapping NRI failed.
    I am even scared of going to India, but need to file divorce in India and full custody so that fraud does not come back in future to bother me and baby

6. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Try to find all the details on why he gave
    up his parental rights. Sometimes moms run off to India with the kid and this amounts to parental kidnapping. I know one dad who spent lot of money to get back the child from India. Many guys are also loving dads but unfortunately the circumstance of the divorces are such that they are forced to take up an option.

Amulet likes this.
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

You need to consult a Canadian divorce attorney first, to see if you can get a divorce in a Canadian court. If the Canada family courts deem you a single person, and thus not have a standing (i.e., unqualified) to seek a divorce, then you are free&clear to remarry.

Your Hindu wedding is recognized as a legal wedding in India.
    Although your baby was a native born Canadian, with no Father's name in the birth certificate, you'd have to bring that birth certificate to the airport to demonstrate that the child can travel internationally, and there is no need for the other parent's written permission.

Not going back to India for a visit will avoid all these hassles. Or.. you can wait till your child is 18+ before s/he goes to India.

8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

As far as I know, a prenup will be executed in the country where the assets reside. now this OP is in Canada, but wherever she lives she'd have to get an attorney familiar with US laws and state laws of the state where the assets - home, property, investments, bank accounts - reside. She would communicate with the attorney by phone fax, email? if the attorney is US based and she isnt I guess. Citizenship is not an issue, their right to claim the property would be if they are executing a prenup. Of course the US Gov will take its tidy chunk if she isnt a citizen when divvy up time arrives.
    I didnt make a will for India but then I have no immovable assets in India. YMMV.

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Now I’m really curious. Wonder how that will work with divided assets.

10. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I remember the ordeal you went through last time . You need to face reality and get divorce before proceeding with the next one legally . Does this new guy know about you not getting divorce from previous marriage?

Sunshine04 and Amulet like this.