1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Morning Reflections

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Branding is a major component of marketing for a long period of time. It got more intense thanks to the attention economy study of human behavior of buying, how they get influenced by the circle of influence (friends and relatives) and how they recognize the products and services. The human mind recognizes the pattern faster than relying on the memories and that is why young kids are taught patterns to teach something new. Even as adults, we relate a lot of things to the pattern. When you don't remember the phone number of someone, your mind uses pattern recognition to dial that phone number. You mostly remember where you kept things at home only by the appearance of the nearby things. Many times, a lost thing can be found by remembering the related incidents of what happened when you kept something in a place.

satchitananda likes this.
  2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

In Delhi every shop has a board with name and address so we know what locality we are in. In Mumbai the board is there but no address. The only way figure our the locality is the Bank which says about the locality of the branch.
    We get used to.

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Yes . Diversity is the most liked thing. That makes us remember places, persons. Otherwise life would be monotonous. It creates a sort of personal touch, attachment....and gets embedded in the brain. Just imagine a world without emotional involvement and everything in order, in a row, people with same expressions, mannerisms . Wouldn't it be drab and boring! Yes. It would be.
    Long back I watched a show in US....forgot the name. A young boy works in a mom and pop type grocery store. Those were the days when big food chain shops were emerging. He finds them glamorous and beautiful and applies for a job and gets it. After working for a few days he gets bored , resigns and comes back to mom and pop stores. The owner...an elderly gentleman invites him with open hands, enquires about his welfare, even family, jokes also and asks him why is he back. He replies....I am nobody there, do not call even by name , only referred by number!!!!
    I am not against big chains....some personal touch makes people happy and wanted.
    I used to to library in UK. Librarain was a nice lady, used to touch and recommend good books. Once I went after a few days and found a big machine...replacing librarian. By click we return and get books. I missed the librarian. Not against industrialization...but miss personal interaction.
    I have digressed the topic...I guess!!!
    Syamala

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I remember even the vegetable vendors had fixed places on the pavement outside various shops. My dad used to have his assigned vendor for various products. After he passed away, when we went to buy stuff from them, they enquired after him - he had not been able to go to the market for more than a year by that time. Of course, it also needs to be said that with the kind of lifestyle we lead today and the traffic woes, we do prefer to order stuff from a Big Basket or Amazon which makes it convenient to have everything home delivered - so we too are responsible for the state of affairs. Pune still has individual small-scale business people who make things like pappad and pickles and go from house to house selling them to put their kids through school. Quite a treat to buy from them. They come home, we buy what we want, even if we don't want anything, they have a cup of tea or buttermilk and then leave. Unforutnately I have not come across such an arrangement here in Bangalore in all these years.

A mom and pop kind of store which did home deliveries here in Bangalore closed down a while ago - sad, because it was a general store and one could buy anything from milk and bread to buckets and detergents etc. AND have them home delivered. :-(

5. satchitananda

True sir. Those kind of shops are also seen on some roads in the older parts of the city, but then one also comes across main roads such as Indiranagar 100 ft road which is lined on both sides by the kind of high end branded stores I was mentioning. The anonymity of the store by sheer virtue of its uniform appearance is what I feel sad about.

6. satchitananda

True, Viswamitra. However, in this context, do you remember Dorabjee in Pune? Look at the building from the outside. It has it's own character. But go inside, you get branded stuff from the world over. So the issue is not about the branding of products, but with the external appearance - the individual character of every shop which makes it easy to locate it without having to look up at a board. When all stores look the same and say there are two or three clothes in a row, it is hard to know which brand you are looking at at a glance.

Talking of which, even corporate hospitals also look the same these days once one is inside the room. The colour of the curtains may be the maximum allowance they make individuality.

7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

If there is one place in Chennai which has completely lost its old world charm is the T.Nagar area. Nalli, Kumaran Stores, and Panagal Park were the only landmarks which represented the entire T.Nagar area Now the entire area sporting high rise jewellery stores, textile shops etc have turned T.Nagar into a garbage bin. This is a heavy price we are paying for development with no proper infrastructure.

Agatha83

8. satchitananda

Yes, I visited the area a couple of weeks ago. I could barely recognize the place! Even the old names like Nalli and Kumaran look so flashy and in between all that was the really original Nalli shop (not the 2 other new era Nallis) was such a treat to visit!

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi people like me, and there are a lot of us, are forced to depemd on big basket and AMAZON for the simple reason, there are no vegetable markts in our area and a sole departmental store where you can buy everything except fruits and veggies. So fruits veggies come from Big Basket and since we are ordering these for convenience's sake we also order groceries from them. We have no choice when it comes to fresh fruits and veggies.

10. satchitananda

That is true of me too, Balajee. We have a vegetable store on the ground floor of my building. I used to go downstairs and buy veggies. Given my inability to bend down and select vegetables, I started sending my Lady Friday to do the needful. By and by he has become a real Spencer and the prices are through the roof. So Big Basket and now Big Basket daily is my life jacket.