1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Do We Get Goat Intestines/ Boti (aatu Kudal) In The Us?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gknew, Feb 16, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Do we get goat boti in the US? I have checked in all the halal meat places in my area city and they don't have it. It's a famous meat item in my native place and every week, they will cook boti along with mutton meat.
    Do anyone know where can we get the boti? The curry is not available in the restaurant too. I have never seen that in the menu too. Is it not available in all the states?
    Thanks.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Look online if any farmers sell goat meat at your local markets and ask them if they can make a special order. Same at the halal places.

gknew likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Where is your native place ? Can you post a recipe ?
    You can get Kokoretsi in Turkish or Greek restaurants, likely in old US cities where such immigrant communities are. It is not exactly a curry. Quite a lot of inner parts are skewered, and wrapped up with intestines and barbequed.

part-2 is where the intestines come into the recipe:

gknew likes this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I am from coimbatore,Tamilnadu.
    We buy the boti and clean it with hot water. The cleaning process is little tricky. We need to wash it many times, so the smell goes off. Watch some YouTube videos for that. There are many recipes in the YouTube for goat boti. We prepare that for breakfast with idli or dosa. Also served with rice.
    We prepare with onion , tomato, mutton masala powder or homemade masala powder and cook with boti.I will see if I can find some video links for this recipe.

Amulet likes this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Oh..OK. Yes; post the recipe video from your native, when you locate it.
    I have eaten the Greek version of kokoresti in a restaurant in Boston. I cannot recall the name of the place now. Old fashioned butcher shops in ethnic enclaves of big cities would sell the goat/lamb intestines. After they introduced sausage casings made from collagen and whatever else, that can be nicely packaged for purchase in a supermarket, buying the old fashioned sausage casing went out of style. And now, very few people make their own sausages as well.

It seems like a very difficult thing to process even before you start cooking. You must either have a lot of cooking time, or really love whoever you want to serve that boti curry.

Good luck in your hunt.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    gknew likes this.