1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How To Encash The Cheque If You Don't Have A Bank Account

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gknew, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

On the back of the check there is an area for endorsing the cheque. You'd sign your name exactly as it appears on the front of the cheque, (leave space under your signature for your husband/friend/anyone-with-a-bank-account), and give that cheque to whoever that will deposit that for you. They will then add their signature underneath yours, and deposit the cheque into their account. When it clears, and the money gets credited into their account, that whoever will give you the cash money.

There are mobile apps for depositing cheques in some larger banks. After endorsing the cheque, one would open the app, login to the account, click deposit-check button, take front and back photos of the check, and click deposit. It will take a few seconds and acknowledge the deposit. And then you make a note with pencil on the back of the check to make sure you can remember that it had already been deposited.... if you came across that piece of paper again.

You must open a bank account for yourself, if hubby doesn't care to have a joint account with you.... just so you can save money on your own, now that you had learned how to create cash using your credit card. Who pays the credit card bill each month [FFTI] ?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Thyagarajan, gknew and Sunshine04 like this.
  2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

What You Need to Open a Bank Account. You'll need a government-issued ID and some basic information, and you might have to deposit $25 or so to get started. Whether you apply for a bank account online , you'll need a government-issued ID and personal details, such as your Social Security number
    Online Savings Account: 360 Performance Savings | Capital One

Thyagarajan and gknew like this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Of course... there are instructions on the internet on endorsing the cheque to someone else... youtube-video as well as html formats.
    Isn't there anything that is not on the internet these days ?
    Can You Really Sign a Check Over to Somebody Else?

gknew and Rihana like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

gknew, thank you for starting this thread. I learnt something new. Didn't know that a check payable to "X" can be cashed without "X" having an account; by two people endorsing it on the back of the check. Thanks to Amulet for this information.

Amulet and gknew like this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

:neutral: Rihana, When children (in the west) work part-time, or do occasional jobs (lawn/baby cares, painting/garage-sale help, etc. etc.) and get paid by cheques, parents get those cheques to deposit. It takes a struggle:boxing: to convince them to go stand in a teller line and deposit their own money into their own accounts.

That endorsement area behind the cheque/check may also include "instructions to the bank" above the payee-signature, such as "Pay to the order of......<name of whoever the check is transferred to>...".

Not giving any instructions to the bank is like signing a blank-check-transfer: "pay to the order of whoever presents this check".

People can give other sorts of instructions behind the cheque also -- like specific account number to deposit the check into: "deposit into a/c#" followed by signature. Some people always write "for deposit only" and sign it only after they get to the bank.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    gknew likes this.
  6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

What is the problem in opening a back account ?

7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for the replies.
    I did go to the bank and ask them. They said they can deposit it into my husband account or they can add me as joint account holder.
    So, I told them to add me and they added me into the account.

Sunshine04 and Amulet like this.
  8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Great that is better for long term . Do you have a Fsa account ? Then you get tax break for that amount

gknew likes this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

This is so cute for all its missing details. :p Well done!
    In reality banks will have to verify that the girl with cheque, is in fact who she claims she is, and their existing client and account-holder Mr.g knew Mrs.g and attests that he is willing to continue sharing his assets with her.

10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I do have fsa account. But we can spend fsa money only on medical expenses right?