1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Conversion

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Vijiakka,

Thank you for your blessings and for responding to this thread. Frankly, all I say in my threads are secondary knowledge of what other realized souls taught us already.

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Dear Balajee,

Thank you for responding to this thread and I always enjoy listening to your perspective. Whether something is selfless or selfish is dependent upon the prism through which we look at things. If we perceive the world through our mind, everything is driven from the body consciousness and if we begin perceiving the world through our absolute consciounsess, we see the oneness of everyone and selfishness ceases to exist and become selfless. This is what I understand from the ancient teachings.

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Though they are secondary knowledge still it is nice of you to share with us

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Your final conclusion explains it all. But I believe there is an urge in every life to realize its innate divinity and that urge only drives one to get knowledge, perform actions and achieve happiness. Only the intensity varies based on how much each person pursue to explore the innate divinity.

Frankly, I believe spirituality can't be separated from our actual life. Pursuharthas are recommended for the transformation of humanity by climbing the ladder of life. How much one practices the right living determines how spiritual one is. Spirituality is intertwined in day to day life. If one performs his duty with all sincerity, perform the action with a sense of fulfillment and with the attitude of sacrifice, that act becomes a meditation. I feel spiritual sadhanas are not separate from real actions but changing the actions we perform day to day into an act performed for spiritual development. That is transformation. As you say, it is not one simple action but a series of actions complying with the right living. It may be in one life or many lives but the progress we make remains with us forever.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Conversions change something... no not the inner self but the bank account balance and many are in serious need of it.

I have witnessed the converted people praying their old and new Gods together ( just in case :D)... both sides are taking advantage of each other. One for the resources and another for the head count for funds and to make capitalist decisions in economical markets. All this in the name of spirituality which is astronomically far from the act of conversion.

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:That is the crux. I enjoyed this contemplative feed back.
    2. But one must strive for....
    Thanks and Regards.
    Ps: trust the agent sent you a better male nurse to look after and regular PT regime followed. Wish speedier recovery & faster progress to normal health of spouse.

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

You are right about religious conversions. It doesn't change people much. It might be done with a specific intention to account for how many are converted in a time frame and more for the purpose of grants. Religious conversions are not done with the intention to make one's spiritual advancement. Religious extremism has contributed more to the tribulations than happiness in the world.

8. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Viswa uncle,

I read this in the morning and what a thought for the day. I read below a few times as you have summed the concept so beautifully to the point.

I do understand that our purpose in life is to serve others. We might not have found the way to do it but that was the goal. My sincere yearning is to transform my self in the process of finding my own mode of service while I perform my duties to my best ability. Thank you, uncle, for this valuable post which grounded me to think about the aim of this beautiful life and how to achieve that.

Love,
    Vani

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good morning Viswa
    I read your article more than once and have some questions for clarifications.
    Disclaimer - i am doing so not to undermine the article or your message but only to discuss and learn more.

What is divine existence? How do we know when we achieve that status? Should we know that we achieved that status?

Why should actions be with the attitude of sacrifice?

While I agree with the rest of message in that paragraph I do not understand the sacrifice part. What are we sacrificing?

If you can clarify these two points I will be happy.

This is a tall order Viswa.
    I am a very "pamara" human being.
    All i know is that I should be a responsible citizen in society and at home - doing my duty whether I like it or not, accepting all situations with a resignation, honesty, open mindedness, respect for others, actions that do not hurt others deliberately, etc. - which are enough to live a good life.
    In all my actions there is a selfish motive - a peaceful life for me and my fellow humans. So i will never achieve that higher level.

Awaiting to read your thoughts on my thoughts.

Amulet likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Good morning Kamala:

Good questions help me to further develop and therefore I welcome it. However, I have to qualify, my answers will be limited to the level of knowledge I have and may not be complete.

Divine existence is the pure and unsullied Atma that resides in us and when we remove the casings such as body, mind, intellect, and encryption (residues), what remains is divine existence. When those casings are eliminated, the divine existence will reveal itself. We truly become free from the dependency of this world when it occurs. Life is gifted to us to uncover this potential and we have to open the gift, remove the packaging to see the gift.

Verse 5, Chapter 18 of Bhagavad Gita says,

"yajna-dana-tapah-karma
    na tyajyam karyam eva tat
    yajno danam tapas caiva
    pavanani manisinam"

meaning "Acts of sacrifice, charity and penance are not to be given up but should be performed. Indeed, sacrifice, charity and penance purify even the great souls".

In my personal opinion, the acts that are performed without the attitude of sacrifice and with the expectation of the fruits (with selfishness) strengthens the encryption. If our life's purpose is to liberate our divine existence, we need to perform the actions unattached to the fruits and that could be done only when we develop an attitude of sacrifice.

All these esoteric terms are the analysis of the mind. For whom it is a tall order? It is the mind that tells us that it is difficult for us to move from desires and attachments to limited desires and trusteeship. The mind is nothing but a cauldron of thoughts and its existence diminishes once thoughts don't exist. It is impermanent but powerful. It needs to be analyzed, understood and comprehended. Knowing our mind and how it gets influenced by our senses is the first step towards spiritual growth.

A hard rock can't be broken by a single stroke. These steps such as Yagna, Dana and Tapa are steps to weaken the hard rock. But every stroke weakens the hard rock.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    kkrish likes this.